No shortage of tech workers

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

No shortage of tech workers

Post by Cornfed »

For some reason it seems to be accepted that we are perpetually short of tech workers. Here scholars debunk that claim.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... -Free-Pass
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The shortage lie was invented in America to justify importing H-1B visa slaves.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

fschmidt wrote:The shortage lie was invented in America to justify importing H-1B visa slaves.
Of course. What do you suppose the motivation for this is, given that such workers are generally not all that creative?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

I'm from India and we supply the highest number of tech workers aka slaves to America for pennies....They pay us shitty wages and make sure Americans are out of job as well...Killing two birds with one stone....

It seems they deliberately want us and nobody else....Indians or mostly Asians are the perfect slaves for the elites...trust me on this...No racism here....I was born, lived and seen everything that is called work here...Nothing but slavery to the western empire....

Do not be fooled, They pay us shitty wages so we are not profiting from them, they create laws, increase inflation, buy government to make sure....no one else comes up locally to compete with them...We don't have any choice but to work for these aholes....The worst is we are not even good at IT but still there is a big projection that Indians are the best but all software, codes etc are created by Americans, Eastern Europeans etc

I got to give it to them...They understand our psychology...you praise us and we grow wings...

We don't complain, we abide by the rules, don't demand much, work for long hours than required, we don't have much social life, we don't read anything other than what main stream and school says...We don't believe in conspiracies at all...

Its so much suffocation here ... The worst part you can't protest, the more you protest you are seen as Anti-progress, Anti-development

Well, don't think this will change EVER...looking at the way India as a society...We will produce perfect slaves for the elites for ever and ever
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

starchild5 wrote:I'm from India and we supply the highest number of tech workers aka slaves to America for pennies....They pay us shitty wages and make sure Americans are out of job as well...Killing two birds with one stone....

It seems they deliberately want us and nobody else....Indians or mostly Asians are the perfect slaves for the elites...trust me on this...No racism here....I was born, lived and seen everything that is called work here...Nothing but slavery to the western empire....

Do not be fooled, They pay us shitty wages so we are not profiting from them, they create laws, increase inflation, buy government to make sure....no one else comes up locally to compete with them...We don't have any choice but to work for these aholes....The worst is we are not even good at IT but still there is a big projection that Indians are the best but all software, codes etc are created by Americans, Eastern Europeans etc

I got to give it to them...They understand our psychology...you praise us and we grow wings...

We don't complain, we abide by the rules, don't demand much, work for long hours than required, we don't have much social life, we don't read anything other than what main stream and school says...We don't believe in conspiracies at all...

Its so much suffocation here ... The worst part you can't protest, the more you protest you are seen as Anti-progress, Anti-development

Well, don't think this will change EVER...looking at the way India as a society...We will produce perfect slaves for the elites for ever and ever
With the declining birth rates in India, and the one child policy in China, I don't think there will always be an endless supply of slaves, but on the other hand, when I graduated from college 5 years ago, there were only 5 students with I.T degrees. 2 computer science grads and the 3 with I.T, so what does that tell you about American college student attitudes, they just go to college to party.

Okay, so what would you suggest, completely cut off immigration so that we can go back to the good old days of nationalism and abandon globalization
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Cornfed wrote:
fschmidt wrote:The shortage lie was invented in America to justify importing H-1B visa slaves.
Of course. What do you suppose the motivation for this is, given that such workers are generally not all that creative?
Middle management is generally stupid, so they can't tell the difference between a good tech worker and a bad one. The main goal of middle managers is not be embarrassed by someone under them. They have almost no interest in productivity. Also, their status increases by having more people under them, so hiring cheap bodies helps them.

I once tried to unionize a bunch of H-1B programmers. The management had made such stupid decisions regarding their software development that I realized that either the company would fail or they would ship the work to India where at least the programmers would have the benefit of being far away from management. I met with the AFL-CIO organizer responsible for tech in the area. He was a smart guy. Then I talked to the programmers. They were absolutely spineless. I told them that if they did nothing, they would lose their jobs anyway. It didn't matter, they refused. I gave the company 3 months notice (and they kept me for those 3 months because at least they recognized that I would be hard to replace). Shortly after I left, all programming jobs were moved to India.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

There's a pretty big shortage of tech workers in the UK right now. Although to get a job you need to be good, and you need to have skills that are in demand (just look here for that data).

If you believe that the next big thing will be "The Internet of Things*" then jump on the bandwagon now as skill shortages will only get worse.

*In 10 years time, EVERY electrical item you buy will be able to connect to the Internet.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

xiongmao wrote:There's a pretty big shortage of tech workers in the UK right now. Although to get a job you need to be good, and you need to have skills that are in demand
What are you basing that on exactly? It seems to me that hiring is credentialist, in that you need particular verifiable experience in the appropriate sectors of the industry, but those doing the hiring have no real means of judging your skill level, as they have no marketable skills themselves. It is easy to think you have a skill shortage if you have bots automatically deleting most applications for arbitrary reasons. Obviously there are plenty of bright people who could be trained as programmers in a short space of time, but doing that seems to be unthinkable, and is probably undoable within current corporate culture.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

starchild5 wrote:I'm from India and we supply the highest number of tech workers aka slaves to America for pennies....They pay us shitty wages and make sure Americans are out of job as well...Killing two birds with one stone....

We don't complain, we abide by the rules, don't demand much,
work for long hours than required, we don't have much social life, we don't read anything other than what main stream and school says...We don't believe in conspiracies at all...

You nailed it.

Same reason they bring in Mexicans for other tasks.

BTW I hacve told my Mexican friends pretty much the same stuff, and they say "we know".
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Middle management is generally stupid, so they can't tell the difference between a good tech worker and a bad one. The main goal of middle managers is not be embarrassed by someone under them. They have almost no interest in productivity. Also, their status increases by having more people under them, so hiring cheap bodies helps them.

I once tried to unionize a bunch of H-1B programmers. The management had made such stupid decisions regarding their software development that I realized that either the company would fail or they would ship the work to India where at least the programmers would have the benefit of being far away from management. I met with the AFL-CIO organizer responsible for tech in the area. He was a smart guy. Then I talked to the programmers. They were absolutely spineless. I told them that if they did nothing, they would lose their jobs anyway. It didn't matter, they refused. I gave the company 3 months notice (and they kept me for those 3 months because at least they recognized that I would be hard to replace). Shortly after I left, all programming jobs were moved to India.
Good for you for trying.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:
xiongmao wrote:There's a pretty big shortage of tech workers in the UK right now. Although to get a job you need to be good, and you need to have skills that are in demand
What are you basing that on exactly? It seems to me that hiring is credentialist, in that you need particular verifiable experience in the appropriate sectors of the industry, but those doing the hiring have no real means of judging your skill level, as they have no marketable skills themselves. It is easy to think you have a skill shortage if you have bots automatically deleting most applications for arbitrary reasons. Obviously there are plenty of bright people who could be trained as programmers in a short space of time, but doing that seems to be unthinkable, and is probably undoable within current corporate culture.
+1
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

It has been said by some programmers that because the software industry is now a total sham, outsourcing to India represents progress, since paying people less to do nothing is a step towards paying people nothing to do nothing, i.e. giving up. However, you would think the PTB would need some capable people to actually achieve stuff. Apparently not.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

I can only speak from my own personal experience. I work for a very large tech firm with over 100K employees. My group has had a very difficult time get even semi-qualified hires and it's been that way for years. My division has the same problem, as does the corporation as a whole. It's a bit of a shell game because even when the company has a flat hiring year and is not increasing head count, needed employees still get hired. But often we simply can't find a qualified person and requisitions go unfilled for months.

Yes, the corporation farms out a lot of development work to teams in other countries and no doubt pays them less that what they would pay developers in the US. They do this no doubt to save a bit but also because they can find workers in other cultures they struggle to find locally.

The good news on this is that if you are semi-sharp there is a place for you in hi-tech. If your semi-sharp you can take on positions for which you have no degree or training. I've done it. I have no degree and it's never matter. I suppose it would only have held me back if I was interested in management or advanced positions.

I've got a son entering college and since he's interested in computers I've told him he will always be employed in hi tech. But if I were to give anyone advise it would be to focus on new technologies. Mobile tech or the internet of things is where I would train if I were doing it now.

For those who consider all workers slaves - well that's a different argument. I can tell you this - I am a very well paid slave and my slavery has funded my travels for some years now.

BTW, I am not referring to "tech workers" as in data entry or your local IT guy. I don't know what the market for that is. I am talking about software/hardware development and validation.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

davewe wrote:I can only speak from my own personal experience. I work for a very large tech firm with over 100K employees. My group has had a very difficult time get even semi-qualified hires and it's been that way for years.
Traditionally a semi-qualified hire would be someone with an IT-related degree who you would then spend several years training up for a particular specialty. If you seriously can't find such people then that is really weird. I know of several people with IT degrees that can't find work. Then you have people who work as unpaid interns for years just to have something to put on their CV.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

davewe wrote:My group has had a very difficult time get even semi-qualified hires and it's been that way for years.
There is a real problem with quality, but there is no problem with quantity. The H-1B's are no better than Americans on average, so they don't address the quality problem. When I started programming, there were actually a lot of good American programmers, but they were driven out of the field by low wages, H-1B competition, and idiot management.
The good news on this is that if you are semi-sharp there is a place for you in hi-tech.
This is mostly BS. Most managers haven't the slightest idea how "sharp" you are because they are morons themselves. The only place where being sharp matters is in a start-up where you can help make the product successful.
I've got a son entering college and since he's interested in computers I've told him he will always be employed in hi tech. But if I were to give anyone advise it would be to focus on new technologies. Mobile tech or the internet of things is where I would train if I were doing it now.
I also have a son who will enter college in a year or two. My advice to him is to learn farming. The modern world is f***ed beyond repair. New technologies absolutely suck without exception since they are designed in the context of modern culture. Java was the last respectable creation in the tech world. Modern software design just makes me want to puke.