No shortage of tech workers

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

fschmidt wrote:Yup, publicduende must be a middle manager somewhere. Liberals love the word "sophisticated" which they can't distinguish from "pointlessly complicated". publicduende writes "you haven't even tried to master Java" when I have bunch of project on Google Code in Java. He assumes I don't use cross-development tools when in fact I am using one, Codename One, for my dating app. In fact I report and fix bugs in that project. Because it is incomplete, I still have to deal with horrors of Android and iOS. Anyway, I don't want to waste my time arguing with idiots, I have code to write. Anyone who likes modern software is basically the same as someone who likes modern culture, utterly clueless.
Go, go write your code. I am sure your dating app is the simplest, most elegant piece of code ever written. All is well. Given your hate of "modern software" I am sure you're hating everything you do with Codename One. If you think it's incomplete why don't you try writing your cross-platform dev environment yourself.

Another pathetic addition to the HA glass menagerie. You really are my biggest letdown, dude.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:
xiongmao wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Is there any reason tech workers aren't simply funneled into the industry from universities by prior arrangement in the way that med students are (or used to be)?
The problem is that the IT industry doesn't want graduates. It wants the top 10% who are very experienced.
In tech as in much of society, people seem to have given up and are only sticking around to loot what remains. When you cease to bring talented men through the system, you are obviously dooming it to extinction. I wonder why people are doing this.
The words of the prophets are written on HA.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:I have often thought that modern society was run like a company that was expected to go out of business in a few years. This seems to confirm that. Better be prepared to bug out.
Heavy, heavy stuff.

Best thread on HA ever.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:Below is my latest interaction with an open-source mailing list. These days I just write almost everything from scratch instead of dealing with these morons.

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
> Not a very friendly or helpful email, but I moderated it through anyways.
>
> * * *
>
> You can find a site here with javadocs etc:
>
> http://jline.github.com/jline2/
>
> Most users of jline consume this via maven? So its generally not a big deal
> to not have a download the jar link, you can fine the latest release on the
> central maven repository:
>
> http://central.maven.org/maven2/jline/jline/2.11/
>
> —jason
>
>
> On May 30, 2014 at 11:19:13 AM, Franklin Schmidt wrote:
>
> Why was jline moved to that cesspool GitHub? GitHub is unusable, populated
> by sadists who refuse to include usable JARs with their projects. I used
> the original jline which is here:
>
> http://jline.sourceforge.net/
>
> Note how easy it is to download the JAR and to see the javadoc. GitHub
> projects never do this. Developers there hate their users. Since the jline
> developers have gone to the dark side, maybe someone can suggest a similar
> project that still avoids sadistic development practices.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "jline-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to jline-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FSchmidt in RL is the same FSchmidt as on HA!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Jester wrote:FSchmidt in RL is the same FSchmidt as on HA!!!!!!!!!
Yes, as you will see when we meet in Tijuana. I am only diplomatic when there is money on the line.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

publicduende wrote:
fschmidt wrote:Let me clarify this. What publicduende is saying is just crap. What has happened to development is that development tools have turned to shit, so development has become the process of using shit. This has made real development harder, not easier. I am developing real products everyday, so I know. One project is my dating app. This needs to work on Android and iOS (Apple). Both of these development environments are absolute crap. Even developing simple things on them is painful, but doing anything creative is a nightmare. The same applies to other areas of development.

One other point is that this isn't just a corporate problem. All programmers, including open-source programmers, are now producing shit. They simply reflect modern culture and they have absolutely no sense of good design.

All this will show up in the real world with increasingly unreliable software. Expect an increasing number of failures and disasters caused by malfunctioning software.
That's it fschmidt, you've exhausted my respect pool. You're clearly a shadow of your former self, an ex-competent programmer who traded his rational mind and passion for keeping abreast with technology developments with the usual mix of religious paranoias and racist banter. And let's add complete sexual starvation, for completeness. You're no more no less than a slightly more technically competent version of Cornfed.

If you bothered to peek into the "now" you would realise that development tools are now far more sophisticated than they were when you stopped learning about software development, about 20 years ago. So sophisticated that even a monkey could grab a PC and craft a multi-platform mobile app without much effort. Software engineering being more democratic and open to more people inevitably means a drop in code efficiency, or elegance, or correctness. In short: quality.

Your poor arse is probably stuck with C and eMacs and Fortran 77 if it can proclaim that a "dating app" on Android and iOS is an insurmountable task that you can't be bothered handling and you have to sit down in despair and complain about. Sour grapes anyone? You prefer glorifying your past and the tools of yore rather than learning about the new ones and get productive with them. As a fellow developer, you probably know how knowledge staleness is detrimental to our profession. I would add that even worse is the arrogance to judge the new tools before even trying them!

Ever heard of Xamarin/Monotouch to cross-develop your dating app (God knows the world needs another one) on Android and iOS? Whoops, sorry. To use that you would need to learn C#/.NET, and you haven't even tried to master Java because you are so happy to cloak your intellectual laziness with the blanket statement that all which happens today is shit, and there's no point learning it. Sour grapes anyone (part II)? If you focused less on building virtual synagogues and fantasising about Filipino poon and more on updating your skills, you would realise that tools are there, and easier than ever to use an do useful stuff with.

Which brings me back to my initial point, that the crux of the matter isn't the quality of the tools, which are always made by an elite of good to great devvies, but the quality of the average person who uses them to deliver software that has less and less innovation, creativity and productivity value, and by extension monetary value. To the point that every Indian or Thai freelancer can create a product that ticks all the boxes without having to know too much about relational databases, concurrent programming or Agile.

It's quite sad, because you were one of the few people left on HA whose good judgment I could trust, if anything because you do sound like you had a good career behind you. Oh well, some wines age well, some others turn straight into vinegar.
WHOA!!!

Charge me for a ticket, one adult please.

Yes, one popcorn. LARGE.

Public, who I have disagreed with PLENTY, has always been a gentleman. But now, gloves OFF.

WHOA.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:
Jester wrote:
FSchmidt in RL is the same FSchmidt as on HA!!!!!!!!!
Yes, as you will see when we meet in Tijuana. I am only diplomatic when there is money on the line.

As they approached, Jesus said, "Now here is a genuine son of Israel--a man of complete integrity."

The Gospel of John chapter 1 verse 47
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Jester wrote:WHOA!!!

Charge me for a ticket, one adult please.

Yes, one popcorn. LARGE.

Public, who I have disagreed with PLENTY, has always been a gentleman. But now, gloves OFF.

WHOA.
LOL guilty as charged :) I confess: I penned that response on my train back home, after a bro-date with my best friend involving two fine bottles of wine, lobster and salmon ceviche. Sweet intoxication causes people to do that, you know. Anyway, perhaps I shouldn't have come across that heavy.

Thing is...

I get told that I am not entitled to an opinion about the f***ed up state of US society because I don't live in America.
I get told that I am a mangina white knight because I am one of the few (from what it seems) people who shares much of the sentiment of this forum while being happily married and not having to be cross with the 90% of mankind.
I get told that I am saying crap if I report on the state of modern software engineering, this from an old-school programmer turned sour (for whatever reasons).

You guys are a weird bunch :)
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

davewe wrote:
xiongmao wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Is there any reason tech workers aren't simply funneled into the industry from universities by prior arrangement in the way that med students are (or used to be)?
The problem is that the IT industry doesn't want graduates. It wants the top 10% who are very experienced. Very few IT companies take up references before hiring. Instead they bring you in, and if you hit the ground running, you're given a longer term contract of employment.

It didn't take me too long to find a job (well 2 jobs) this year. But I had to put a lot of effort into my job search. Recruiters were very much looking for the best of the best. Trouble is they've all gone to Switzerland to earn $$$$$ working for hedge funds etc. etc :lol: .
There's lots of truth to this, although we do heavily recruit undergraduate and graduate students. We have no time, inclination or infrastructure to train staff. Therefore we look to hire people with the skills we need and thrown them at the work; it's sink or swim.
Revisiting this, why is the system set up this way? In any field of endeavor that people actually care about, like football for example, it is accepted that there should be extensive career-long training. To run a professional football team on the basis of expecting playing to somehow train themselves and then letting them sink or swim would be considered insane, as it would obviously lead to a devastating collapse in standards. Why is this not the case with IT and other modern industries?