How can you avoid high ATM fees overseas?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

How can you avoid high ATM fees overseas?

Post by Winston »

The last few times I withdrew cash at an ATM in Taiwan from my Bank of America account, I got charged fees totaling close to $10 per withdrawal. Dang!

It used to be $5 when I was in the Philippines. How did it double? Or are ATM fees just higher in Taiwan than in the Philippines?

In any case, how can you avoid such high ATM fees? Any suggestions?

Momopi? Rock? Ladislav? How do you handle this problem? Any suggestions?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How can you avoid high ATM fees overseas?

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:The last few times I withdrew cash at an ATM in Taiwan from my Bank of America account, I got charged fees totaling close to $10 per withdrawal. Dang!
It used to be $5 when I was in the Philippines. How did it double? Or are ATM fees just higher in Taiwan than in the Philippines?
In any case, how can you avoid such high ATM fees? Any suggestions?
Momopi? Rock? Ladislav? How do you handle this problem? Any suggestions?

Call Bank of America's office in Taiwan and ask them.

BofA has been in TW since 1965 and has a staff of 140. I'm not aware of BofA ATM's in TW but they can probably help you find lower cost options.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Try Citibank, no fees anywhere in the world, no monthly acc keeping fees.

I used to get charged 5 bucks per withdrawal then I decided to switch.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

In Mexico, if you have a Bank of America account, you can withdraw pesos with zero fees from Santander Bank ATMS. Check with Bank of America to see if they have any agreements with Taiwan Banks for customers to use their ATMS without fees.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Banano wrote:Try Citibank, no fees anywhere in the world, no monthly acc keeping fees.

Banano, I suspect you have CitiBank Gold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citigold

I don't think this applies to regular CitiBank accounts. I read my T's and C's when i opened CitiBank and international fees do apply - at least to me.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How can you avoid high ATM fees overseas?

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote: In any case, how can you avoid such high ATM fees? Any suggestions?
Charles Schwab has an account, I forget what they call it. Money market account or cash account or something. No ATM fees anywhere, and I think they refund foreign bank ATM fees too. Minimum is only $500 to open.

You do NOT have to have an investment or trading account with them.

Read this a while back, and called them because I didn't believe it. They answered the phone easily and confirmed it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester wrote:
Banano wrote:Try Citibank, no fees anywhere in the world, no monthly acc keeping fees.

Banano, I suspect you have CitiBank Gold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citigold

I don't think this applies to regular CitiBank accounts. I read my T's and C's when i opened CitiBank and international fees do apply - at least to me.
You're right. I think it's only free to withdraw from Citibank as long as you use a Citibank ATM. Otherwise, there are fees. The domestic fees are very small, but the international fees may be just as big as B of A's.

Momopi, I've never seen a single B of A branch in Taiwan. WTF? Why would B of A be in another country? I will ask their customer service about it though, and check their site.

These folks say there is no B of A ATM machine in Taiwan:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 433AAdpH2A
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I just talked to BofA customer service through their site via chat window. They told me that there is no B of A branch in Taiwan at all. I told them that one is listed by Google on this page:

http://www.amcham.com.tw/component/opti ... temid,228/

But the customer service rep said it doesn't exist. Is that odd or what? Why would the American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei list a BofA branch that doesn't exist? lol I should try to email them about it. lol

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

In Germany we have DKB and Comdirect. They are online banks. Normally all ATMs in the world can be used without charge. But the approval may not work as most likely you must stay in Germany for the application but you can move afterwards.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:Ok I just talked to BofA customer service through their site via chat window. They told me that there is no B of A branch in Taiwan at all. I told them that one is listed by Google on this page:

But the customer service rep said it doesn't exist. Is that odd or what? Why would the American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei list a BofA branch that doesn't exist? lol I should try to email them about it. lol
That is likely not a consumer banking branch, but an investment finance office that handles their Asian portfolio.

As for the ATM fees, open a local account and wire some BOA funds there or find the local bank that charges no or low fees and use their ATMs only.
CheezeRaider
Freshman Poster

Post by CheezeRaider »

This probably don't apply to Winston, but if you have some sort of military ties, you can open up USAA. These guys don't charge me anything. Their also a credit union so their rates are generally lower on most thing.

I use USAA as I'm traveling the world and I'm very happy with them. Also my customer services experience with them has been excellent.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
Winston wrote:Ok I just talked to BofA customer service through their site via chat window. They told me that there is no B of A branch in Taiwan at all. I told them that one is listed by Google on this page:

That is likely not a consumer banking branch, but an investment finance office that handles their Asian portfolio.

As for the ATM fees, open a local account and wire some BOA funds there or find the local bank that charges no or low fees and use their ATMs only.
Wire transfers cost at least $30. No way. Much easier to just write a check from one account to another. Checks are free to deposit. But what if you are traveling? Then there's no way to avoid the ATM fees.

royaldude
Freshman Poster

Post by royaldude »

you can also use fidelity they give you an atm debit card very low fees anywhere abroad.
Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback. (The Dude)

the dude abides
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Momopi, I've never seen a single B of A branch in Taiwan. WTF? Why would B of A be in another country?
Why wouldn't Bank of America be in another country? It's financial services. B of A is in over 40 countries. In Hong Kong you'll find the Bank of America Tower.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-2 ... ing-p.html

polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Fees are here to stay. Try to withdraw large amount of money not very often. It's a waste to get a "Cash Passport" from Travelex as the fees are worse than a bank.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder