Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

Why am I overly sensitive to noise and interruptions?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock » December 1st, 2011, 3:50 am

momopi wrote:
ryanx wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:I have had the same problem for many years but have reduced it considerably with meditation. It's not the sound you are reacting too, but your resistance to the sound. I practice fully accepting sounds, because they are reality, and thus resistance serves no purpose but to create suffering. When you do this the irritation goes away. Start out trying it with simple sounds like a dog barking. Listen to the bark and concentrate fully on the sound as only sound - don't even form a perception of a "dog barking". That's where the resistance comes in - you then form thoughts "Why doesn't someone shut up that dog", etc. that increases the resistance. A meditation instructor would be fully aware of this type of problem and could give you further instructions. If you practice consistently, it will eventually begin to work for unexpected sounds. The Western psychobabble won't help you one bit.
I am glad we are discussing this topic as I live in Taiwan and I really suffer from the very noisy environment here. And in the last few weeks a new source of terrible irration has appeared from the floors above my apartment. It sounds like a water pump that can go off at any time. The duration varies from a couple seconds to half a minute. The volume, intensity and pitch and tone can also change. To me this is akin to torture by sound because of it's unpredictability. So if there is some kind of meditation that can help me with this particular problem and the myriad sources of noise here, I would be very interested to learn about it.
The water pump's mounting probably needs some work to dampen the noise level.

Ask around to see if anyone complained of low water pressure and someone adjusted the pump settings. If the pressure is set too high it will cause leaks.
Momopi the Plumber

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi » December 1st, 2011, 4:50 pm

I look at houses on the weekends a lot and saw many incidents where the resident made the mistake of turning up the water pressure and causing leaks, water damage, mold, etc.

The water coming in to the house can have >100+ psi pressure, so most homes have a water pressure reducing valve to keep it at a safe level (40-45 psi?). But if there was some clogging and the water pressure is low at the tap or shower head, the resident (home owner or renter) sometimes make the mistake of cracking up the pressure to 70-80+ psi. After a while you'd get leaks and water damage, which is a pain to fix.

I don't have a lot of experiance with mid rise buildings, but if the pump is noisy the first thing I would look at is the mounting / brackets.

There are many thing you can do to reduce noise level in a home. For example, noise reduction window replacements. If that is not an option, heavy curtains over the window would also reduce noise level from outside. At studios they use noise control curtains made with felt blankets.