Mental techniques to defeat boredom

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Mental techniques to defeat boredom

Post by Cornfed »

My job mostly involves standing around being bored all day. It can also be socially awkward and stressful. The only consolation is to occasionally be able to treat dirtbags like the garbage that they are. I am trying to come up with something to occupy my mind so I will be less bored. I have tried composing internet posts, but this doesn't seem to work. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Banano
Veteran Poster

Re: Mental techniques to defeat boredom

Post by Banano »

Sounds like a dream job, do nothing and paid. Security I guess? How much is hourly rate and do you carry a gun?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Gurdjieff's disciples (via Ouspensky) in Los Angeles teach a technique wherein you count your limbs, visualizing them in turn. One, two, three, four, {skip one}, one, two, three, four, {skip one}, one,.....

They want you to do that while doing nothing else... sitting on your bed when you first wake up, or hiking on a trail without talking to anyone, etc.

I believe that the idea is to silence the usual background mental chatter, and allow our senses to perceive us as we are, where we are.

When I tried it, I found that even doing 2 to 5 minutes of this made the rest of the day remarkably better.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Banano wrote:
How much is hourly rate and do you carry a gun?
A guy from anywhere in the world would guess that you are American...

:wink:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
aileensiddiqui
Freshman Poster

Post by aileensiddiqui »

Make some friends there, to whome you can talk, read intresting books or megazines that you like. And more important pay attention to your Job, And try not to get Fired :P