The Truth about Wealth and Happiness

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: The Truth about Wealth and Happiness

Post by Winston »

That depends on where you live HouseMD. You assume everyone lives in California. :P If you live in Oregon or New Mexico or abroad then 35k allows you to live well. Even less than that. As long as you live a minimalist lifestyle of course and dont try to buy a nice big house or nice car. There are many cheap frugal ways of living as long as you dont make foolish choices. As a tightwad all that comes naturally to me. I rarely ever waste money and if i do, its just a little occasionally.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:That depends on where you live HouseMD. You assume everyone lives in California. :P If you live in Oregon or New Mexico or abroad then 35k allows you to live well. Even less than that. As long as you live a minimalist lifestyle of course and dont try to buy a nice big house or nice car. There are many cheap frugal ways of living as long as you dont make foolish choices. As a tightwad all that comes naturally to me. I rarely ever waste money and if i do, its just a little occasionally.
You misunderstand the point, which was that the gains in happiness occur along exponential lines
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HouseMD wrote:
Winston wrote:That depends on where you live HouseMD. You assume everyone lives in California. :P If you live in Oregon or New Mexico or abroad then 35k allows you to live well. Even less than that. As long as you live a minimalist lifestyle of course and dont try to buy a nice big house or nice car. There are many cheap frugal ways of living as long as you dont make foolish choices. As a tightwad all that comes naturally to me. I rarely ever waste money and if i do, its just a little occasionally.
You misunderstand the point, which was that the gains in happiness occur along exponential lines
But studies show that money only buys happiness up to a middle class level. After that it doesnt. Remember? Did you read the articles? Plus the happiness you get from things is only temporary and doesnt last. Happiness is a state of mind. Once its a state of mind then it doesnt depend on circumstances or things and then is more longer lasting.

Also, meaningful experiences and relationships create long lasting happiness more so than money and assets. Remember? All studies show that. And its common sense too. Didnt you read the OP?

Money cant make you happy unless it buys you the time to do what you love and follow your bliss and have good friendships and relationships with others you connect with. Makes perfect sense. Right?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
slazenger
Freshman Poster

Post by slazenger »

Winston wrote:
October 29th, 2017, 1:52 am
Money cant make you happy unless it buys you the time to do what you love and follow your bliss and have good friendships and relationships with others you connect with. Makes perfect sense. Right?
Right. To quote the philosopher David Lee Roth: "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to sail right up next to it."

Money buys you the freedom to pursue happiness. But if you're disinclined to find it in the first place and/or have a screwed up sense of priorities... money ain't gonna help you much.
The illusions which exalt us are dearer to us than ten thousand truths.
Darrell_Johnston
Freshman Poster

Post by Darrell_Johnston »

your possessions don't belong to you, you belong to them. Anything that you cant walk away from....you are a slave to that thing.