How do you guys deal with depression?

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Taco wrote:The best product I have tried for severe depression is virgin coconut oil, this stuff is awesome! You take 2-3 tablespoons a day, if you can tolerate it, it does make some people sick at first. After about a week you'll notice a huge improvement in your mood and energy levels. I just started taking it and I'll be buying it by the truck load in the near future, this stuff saved me.

This is the brand that I use.

http://www.alphahealth.ca/coconut.html
Thanks, did not know this.**

**Actually I bought some a while back (perhaps another post of yours prompted me?) and there it sits in my cabinet, forgot what it was for. Depression. Oh. Yeah. That.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

I suffered from severe suicidal depression for most of my young life. I barely even remember my childhood because of it.

Anyone tried to commit suicide?

This film changed my life. After watching it I have never felt depressed for long than an hour at a time.

Here's some posts from this incredible website, BadAss Young Men. The whole site is worth checking out.

Coping with Depression

Depression in Men is Caused by Society

Find your purpose in life. Focus on your goals. What do you live for? If you don't have a reason, find one. This is more important than anything.

TheOneandOnly
Freshman Poster

Post by TheOneandOnly »

TBH not very well at all....currently ruining my life
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

When feeling down or sad; a swim is usually therapudic & I try not to go alone. One should never stay alone or isolate themselves because your mind ends up getting the better of you. Then you end up sleeping too much or eating too much which is never good.
Distracting yourself from sadness always works but whatever you do must be fun and or relaxing.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

what are bad feelings/negative emotions on their own? very subtle sensations, equivelent to a slight breeze caused by wind. why then, one must ask, do they have such a startling affect on indivduals, sometimes even directly resulting in suicide? its because ones thoughts become completely distorted by these feelings, and as a result ones perception of reality becomes distorted. people experiencing this depressed state cannot recognize the fact that they are simply experiencing distorted thoughts caused by bad feelings i.e. there is nothing inherently significant about it, it is just a bodily process. this is because of the severe attatchment to ego almost all people posess, and thoughts are used to gauge and reafirm the ego.

perception conditioned by modern society, as experienced by all ego identified individuals within it, is so incredibly dense its unbeleivable. to use a physical metaphore, its exactly like being trapped in a cage. at the best of times, one can move about a little in it. at the worst of times, such as when one is experiencing a depressed state, one is completely bound in it and unable to move. your true nature, conscious awareness, is totally unbound. the binding sense is solely caused by attatchment to the perception of the physical world which has been given to you from others; being plugged into the matrix so to speak. you have been taught from birth to be constantly afraid of losing or not gaining something, which is what puts you in this state of being at the total mercy of your own mind. its clearly insanity in reality, because all anyone has in their life is a physical body, but it is passed as normal because it is what runs the system. mainstream psycology does not even acknowlege the ego, instead it operates as if the totally ego identified state is inborn and something which cannot be undone.

if you are hit with bad feelings, focus your awareness on where the emotion is occuring in your body, and affirm to yourself the truth; it is just a subtle emotional sensation and nothing more, it is being caused by thoughts consisting entirely of environmental conditioning picked up by chance over time which has no bearing on true reality whatsoever. the more awarenes you possess the more effective this will be. depression can only happen to individuals from societies which are built on the pretext of having people with extremely low levels of awareness to sustain it.

there are two ways to gain awareness:

1. meditate for 20 minutes to one hour per day.
2. reflect on what life really is on a deep down level. look at the absolutely insanely artificial society you have been brought up in. try to realize just how much fear it has instilled into you, with which you are now operating on at a base level. all your attatchments and goals are fear based delusions. you have become a robot human, which is evident by the power your mind has over you which consists totally of programming. you live for others yet you are totally selfish. stop being self conscious, it is irrational fear caused by vanity, nothing more. make the bulk of your socializing be with your immediate family if possible. peer groups pull you into unconsciousness a lot more. live like you are the only human on the planet at all times. you are always alone outside of your subjective perception, which is the only thing which causes you discomfort.

once you have gained a sustainable connection to truth, life will become so much easier and better. there will be no more getting pulled in by negative emotions due to a superficial, artificial mind state. i hope this information can help one or some of you.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

you know I'm part indian I should have meditation down, .. but somehow I have no discipline to sit still for more than 5 mins. I fidgit & get distracted easily.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

There's a lot of massage parlors in the US and elsewhere if you know where to look. Just go to one and get a relaxing, stress-relieving massage from a beautiful lady followed by a "happy ending" at the end. Great way to bring you up.

/pervertedadvice
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

Renata wrote:you know I'm part indian I should have meditation down, .. but somehow I have no discipline to sit still for more than 5 mins. I fidgit & get distracted easily.
your philosophy has to be altered a bit before you can really find the motivation to put effort into meditation or do it for long periods of time. you need to understand how there is really no self, only awareness. so by meditating you are strengthening your connection with the truth of who you really are.

if you are happy with the normal unconscious way of living, then by all means do that. if you are unhappy with it, or one who feels a strong pull towards understanding truth and the meaning of existence, then meditation is the best way to acheive peace and happiness as well as insight into the true nature of reality.
Last edited by lavezzi on December 3rd, 2012, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

Dragon wrote:There's a lot of massage parlors in the US and elsewhere if you know where to look. Just go to one and get a relaxing, stress-relieving massage from a beautiful lady followed by a "happy ending" at the end. Great way to bring you up.

/pervertedadvice
that is poor, poor advice on so many levels.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

lavezzi wrote:
Dragon wrote:There's a lot of massage parlors in the US and elsewhere if you know where to look. Just go to one and get a relaxing, stress-relieving massage from a beautiful lady followed by a "happy ending" at the end. Great way to bring you up.

/pervertedadvice
that is poor, poor advice on so many levels.
Wasn't meat to be good advice. :wink:
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Yes, it's a great way to bring you "up" literally and figuratively! :lol:

On a more serious note, this music video is about what may happen if you find yourself living alone, with no one to love. The second video shows the lyrics to the song along with the original person singing it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KgfV32r ... PaPsCtiwQQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJS1p8l ... Q&index=20[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

mattyman wrote:I think that depressions arise as a natural reaction to circumstances that feel overwhelming to the individual. Depression happens when one's innate emotional needs are not being met and the individual feels unable to meet them. There are a variety of reasons of which they are too numerous to go into here. You may for instance, see many people who seem to have it all, but deep down they are lacking the most important emotional needs, of which a lot are satisfied through relationships and others satisfied through work.

One is emotional intimacy (by that I mean a sense of friendship, companionship, you feel you can really be yourself) which I think is all too often overlooked these days, especially in western countries.

What stops people from getting their needs met? Well, there are all sorts; bad conditioning and fear can be a major barrier for some people. Whatever there is, there is something that makes people feel unable to change their circumstances (of which harsh criticism can amplify). So basically a bad situation (emotional needs not met, stressful, bad for self-esteem) + feeling unable to move on

When you do slip into a depressed state, whatever difficulties you experience tend to become amplified, self-doubts for example, get amplified as with any sense about one's capability to move on in life. When people lose hope, they can also get very worried and anxious.

If there is a 'chemical imbalance' I would argue that it's the RESULT of the above and not the cause, the trouble is, is that it tends to feed on itself; by making you sluggish, tired, reclusive, fewer needs met, less motivation etc. more things to feel bad about and vice versa.

What I hate is the the conventional view of depression as a 'mental illness' that can be treated with medication. I think that view of it as an 'illness' as opposed to a natural emotional response that we're all vulnerable to is perverse.

The best way to sort depression out is really, to sort out the underlying problems, and of course have supportive people around. As for physical activity? I think it has it's place but is not a cure all, though can do its part to overcome the inertia that a depressed state can bring on.

It's not surprising that so many people in USA, UK etc. suffer from depression, if you look at the standards people are expected to live up to, and the fact that people don't talk about their emotions. I think that the biggest risk factor is a sense of isolation and alienation. That can deprive one of several fundamental emotional needs and can give one a sense of worthlessness and make one feel helplessness, but society doesn't see it this way, which is a shame.
BINGO. The only time I've ever read someone's take on depression and said to myself, "this person gets it." It is clear that you are not merely regurgitating some verbage from a book you read, but that you have honestly reflected on this topic and have cogently summarized it. It's like you've managed to convey every bullet point that has wrung true to me about what causes depression. Unfortunately, this is also the reason why overcoming depression seems so hopeless. It truly stems from the very fabric of how this world is structured and how we must all carve out a niche amongst the global patchwork of insanity. Non-participation is not an option. I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that I must pay to live on the planet I was born on.

However, I could feel significantly better if indeed my emotional needs were being met. No pill or exercise regiment can substitute the comraderie of deep friendships and the satisfaction of loving and being loved by a mate. All this talk these days about nutrition has nothing to do with emotional nutrition.

What one member said about trying to be like the women that we enjoy, sounds good to me. They live simple lives and have simple goals like, "work to live, and find a good companion." In the west these days its more along the lines of "live to work, and find a good career." I keep inching closer to this vague suspicion I have. The suspicion that there is no such thing as a good career.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Just crawl into the BOTTLE!
Time to Hide!
Sauromancer
Freshman Poster

Post by Sauromancer »

I think the best cure for depression is to become Batman.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I don't buy that it's natural. I have never been depressed ONCE since leaving the USA. Then again, I think AmericanInMexico has a point. I once read a very detailed article about depression and its symptoms and I realized I have NEVER experienced that in my entire life. Most people here ARE talking about being down in the dumps or just sadnes, because REAL depression is a MOFO. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Someone else made another good point. I think the pharma industry has really "broadened" the definitions so that they can medicate more people.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan