Best country in Eastern Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Barbaradavid
Freshman Poster

Best country in Eastern Europe?

Post by Barbaradavid »

Hello everyone,

Well I wanted to know, or I am asking to you for the suggestions of EASTERN Europe. I know that countries in East Europe have notoriously low pay, but I had still like some suggestions about which is the best as far as pay, vacation time, and working conditions. I apologize if you send me quick reply.

Thank you.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

Something I would consider when I get financially secure is to live in Slovakia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro or Hungary. I am Eastern Orthodox (like Greek Orthodox), so those countries do share my religion, which is just nice thing to have around. Also, some countries use Cyrillic alphabet, which it native to me. I hear excellent things about people in general in Montenegro and Slovakia, Macedonia and Croatia (catholic) seems to be pretty cool as well. Food, culture, music and values seem to be very similar to mine (Ukrainian).

Most of these countries are also populated by Slavic people, so the girls are extremely beautiful and languages are similar. Eastern Europe is generally more safe and developed, than, say ex-USSR countries. East Europe now has growing service quality and generally more stable economies. Czechs are probably one of the best examples, but Poland is also growing amazingly well. I did (and do) have Polish friends and when I visited Poland it looked great. But I am not sure I like Polish people in general. Their food is great thou, almost the same as Ukrainian (love it). Lots of vegies, fresh cooked meat, pastries etc. Polish and Ukrainian (Russian) girls are THE BEST girls that you see when you hit downtown clubs in Chicago! There are some good ones in Chicago that are from Baltic states - Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. However, I hear that Baltic states are very racist towards ethnic Russians in their countries. Although, I am Ukrainian, I am not sure if those countries would be good to live in for me. I definitely know that Baltic people seem to be very warm towards Americans, but their economies seem to be doing pretty bad at the moment.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I've been in only two eastern Europe countries -- Hungary and Croatia -- so my perspective is limited. But I'd give Croatia a strong recommendation. For a combination of stunningly beautiful country, pretty good weather, and very impressive, friendly people, it probably ranks top ten in the world. Croatians are motivated to learn English, but they all study it in school, so most of them below a certain age already know a bit, and I'm not sure there are as many teaching opportunities there as in other eastern Europe countries. It's supposed to be one of the harder countries to set up a business in, due to various governmental hoops. But take a drive down their coastline, and you'll be very impressed.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

I haven't thoroughly researched this question, but my instinct is that the best countries to work in the region overall are the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, and possibly Croatia because they are basically the countries which are the least poor. You could find the GDP per capita figure for each country if you want to confirm this.

You certainly don't want to go to Romania to live. Teachers there used to make only half of what teachers made in Hungary and now Romania's economy is in even worse shape and is just about falling apart.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europ ... 30271.html

Moldova is doing even worse than Romania due to large parts of it being run by organized crime and the fact that there is basically a low-intensity civil war going on there.

Bulgaria seems quite interesting and beautiful, but it is about as poor as Romania, which will most likely mean low teachers' salaries.

I don't think the Baltic countries have been doing so well lately, but you could try Estonia or Lithuania.
YoucancallmeAl
Freshman Poster

Post by YoucancallmeAl »

Here's what I don't understand about people in the poorer EU countries, particularly the young women looking for "wealthy" western husbands:
Why don't they just move to the wealthier countries within the EU?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

YoucancallmeAl wrote:Here's what I don't understand about people in the poorer EU countries, particularly the young women looking for "wealthy" western husbands:
Because they want to remain close their parents. Most western people raised in an "Anglo" culture couldn't give two shits about filial bonds that's why it's easy for Americans/Brits etc.. to bail across the country or overseas.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

YoucancallmeAl wrote:Here's what I don't understand about people in the poorer EU countries, particularly the young women looking for "wealthy" western husbands:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6713121.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 1 June 2007, 17:34 GMT 18:34 UK

Exodus of women 'hurts E Germany'
By Paul Legg
BBC News Europe editor

The former East Germany is being drained of young women, leaving an underclass of disillusioned young men behind, a study says.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

@Repatriate,

I love that word "filial"..it's the perfect word to describe being involved or not involved with your family of blood. It's a pity that so many people move out of their parents house whereas Latinos want to stay together underneath one roof unless the daughter(-s) want to be married off into another household to live in. I'm glad the Latinos will be the majority by 2030 in "EEUU".
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

have2fly wrote:Something I would consider when I get financially secure is to live in Slovakia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro or Hungary. I am Eastern Orthodox (like Greek Orthodox), so those countries do share my religion, which is just nice thing to have around. Also, some countries use Cyrillic alphabet, which it native to me. I hear excellent things about people in general in Montenegro and Slovakia, Macedonia and Croatia (catholic) seems to be pretty cool as well. Food, culture, music and values seem to be very similar to mine (Ukrainian).

Most of these countries are also populated by Slavic people, so the girls are extremely beautiful and languages are similar. Eastern Europe is generally more safe and developed, than, say ex-USSR countries. East Europe now has growing service quality and generally more stable economies. Czechs are probably one of the best examples, but Poland is also growing amazingly well. I did (and do) have Polish friends and when I visited Poland it looked great. But I am not sure I like Polish people in general. Their food is great thou, almost the same as Ukrainian (love it). Lots of vegies, fresh cooked meat, pastries etc. Polish and Ukrainian (Russian) girls are THE BEST girls that you see when you hit downtown clubs in Chicago! There are some good ones in Chicago that are from Baltic states - Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. However, I hear that Baltic states are very racist towards ethnic Russians in their countries. Although, I am Ukrainian, I am not sure if those countries would be good to live in for me. I definitely know that Baltic people seem to be very warm towards Americans, but their economies seem to be doing pretty bad at the moment.
Fellow Orthodox, here! Convert, not cradle.
rvacation
Freshman Poster

Post by rvacation »

Yes! Croatia is wonderful! Beautiful beaches, kind people, inexpensive. But beware if you travel in late September or October, many of the camping grounds and tourist site close up for the "winter"...

Thanks............
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I have often wondered about Slovakia, Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro myself. I have seen pictures and videos of Bulgaria and it looks great! I love the architecture in Bulgaria, it's beautiful! You hear a lot about Ukraine but not a lot about other eastern European countries.

What countries in eastern Europe are the most developed and have the strongest economy?
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Do you mean any former FSU country or ones that a members of the EU?

Non-EU countries, I'd say Mother Russia.

FSU now members of EU, Czech Republic.

Poland directly benefits from EU because its proximity to Germany but that doesn't mean the majority of the population has benefited from it.

I would say another country that doesn't get talked about enough is Croatia.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

djfourmoney wrote:Do you mean any former FSU country or ones that a members of the EU?
Any country in eastern Europe. I am wondering which ones have the strongest economy and have the best standards of living.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

have2fly wrote:Something I would consider when I get financially secure is to live in Slovakia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro or Hungary. I am Eastern Orthodox (like Greek Orthodox), so those countries do share my religion
No, Hungary is a Catholic country--like Poland. Romania is Orthodox. Perhaps you got them mixed up.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

jamesbond wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:Do you mean any former FSU country or ones that a members of the EU?
Any country in eastern Europe. I am wondering which ones have the strongest economy and have the best standards of living.
Any one that's not being talked about in terms of debt -

Czech Republic, Poland, Hungry, Latvia, Lithuania would be high value targets. I wouldn't call Slovakia or Slovenia a strong economy, just ones that haven't imploded.

I was watching a show I think on Link TV about immigrants from these countries now struggling in Western Europe, some of them returning home. They said a ton of money back home but it doesn't directly benefit much of the country as a whole. Much like the billions of dollars sent back from the US to Mexico and Central America but overall conditions aren't improving, its basically staving off poverty when you think about it.