SWEDEN (Country Information Thread)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
gravity25x
Freshman Poster

SWEDEN (Country Information Thread)

Post by gravity25x »

I originally wrote this in response to starchild's question about how Sweden was for single guys, how it was to live there in general, etc. I thought I would repost it here to so that anyone that is considering it can get an accurate view of the country:

For reference: I'm half Swedish, I was born in the US but I got a Swedish passport as a baby (my parent's registered my birth at the embassy and I got it without any work/effort). I've spent several years there, and experienced the ups and downs. I won't bother changing the grammar in the text below (to point it towards the reader, instead of specifically to starchild). If you want the information you can still get it. The text below is specifically about living in Stockholm, but most of it applies to all of Sweden.

If you have any other questions feel free to respond this thread and I'll try to answer them if I can.

1. It's almost impossible to find an apartment. The government is stupid and limits the amount landlords can charge for their apartment (rent control). (The current amount is 4% of the value of the apartment charged in rent per year, whereas the average return on property in non-rent-controlled areas of the US is 11%) This results in rich people simply not building apartment complexes, because there is no profit in doing so. So it doesn't really matter how much you pay, you won't find one.

You could buy (I wouldn't recommend it, Swedish real estate is REALLY overpriced, and a crash is coming soon).

Or (really your only option)
, is to rent on the "black market". Basically you rent illegally from someone who doesn't need their apartment at the moment. Or more likely, that person stood in line for 15-20 years (we use lines to decide who gets an apartment, instead of the highest bidder like in the US), and is now going to charge you twice what they are paying (which is totally illegal, but they very rarely get caught).

2. There are a lot of Muslims in the major metro areas of Sweden. Stockholm, gothenburg, malmo. In most of Sweden you can walk around at night, and as long as you mind your own business no one will hassle you. But there are actually no-go zones in stockholm, where the police literally will not investigate a crime, should one happen to you, because they will get firebombed and pelted with stones (and sometimes shot at) by the muslims if they come into their "shariah zone". "Shariah" is the law of those areas, Swedish law doesn't apply, so just stay out of those areas.

3. 30-40K is a good salary. Most Swedish salaries hover around 26K per month before tax, which is plenty to live on outside of the big 3 cities. If I got a job in sweden I could live on about $700 a month, and save the other $2000 (after tax, 26k/mo comes to about $2,700 per month). It's quite a prosperous country (certainly compared to the US). You can tell by how many cheap cars are for sale here. You can buy an older honda civic with a perfect interior, super-nice exterior, and that is in excellent mechanical condition, with winter-tires included, all for $1000 USD. You literally cant get that kind of deal in America. I tried when I lived there. All I wanted was transportation, I didn't care about anything else, despite having the money for a more expensive car; I was being frugal and responsible. But I couldn't find it. Because all the cheap and good(ish) cars get bought up immediately by poor people who need that (and there are A LOT of poor people in america, unfortunately). Whereas in Sweden, where people have money, no one wants to drive a rinkedy-dink old honda civic. (But if you live in stockholm, DO NOT buy a car, you'll thank me later, lol)

In any case, if you can make 35K SEK a month you're hovering around some of the higher salaries in Sweden: here is a link to all the jobs in Sweden and their salaries, it is in Swedish but you can right click and get google to translate it for you (assuming you are using google chrome, otherwise just put the link in google translate): http://allastudier.se/jobb-o-l%C3%B6n/y ... thlySalary

It all depends on your rent. If I lived in my city, I can get my rent down to about $300/mo. Living in a decent area, with a studio apartment of about 30 sq meters. But this is because of rent control. and the fact that I have waited in line for 4 years, and even I can barely get those apartments LOL.

But in terms of expenses:

Food: whatever you pay now (assuming you live in europe/the US, you will pay in Sweden, or less. Vegetables are MUCH cheaper in Sweden than the US. Beef is slightly more expensive, but not by much. It all evens out, with a slight advantage for Sweden in terms of price.
Public Transport: $60-$100 for a monthly card on the stockholm transit network. I don't know exactly what they charge, but it will be something around there.
Health insurance: I honestly don't know, but if you are working and paying taxes...you should get free health insurance like everyone else in Sweden: that would be just and fair, but I don't know what is done in practice. As a citizen I get free health insurance whether I work or not.
As you can see, expenses are very low in Sweden... It's not like America where you need to pay an arm and a leg for health insurance, car insurance, gas, maintenance for your car, etc etc

Getting laid: Meh, I gotta explain this to you. I'm more white than brown (my last girlfriend, from Belarus, thought I was 100% white until I told her my actual ethnicity), but I'm not SWEDISH/aryan white (not light enough to be considered 'white' in Sweden. But even my little tinge of brown is enough to make Swedes hate me when they see me. Once they find out I'm American they love me. I can assume it would be even worse for someone who is Indian (I assume you are darker than me, since you're indian) But they have really begun to hate brown/black people, so this will work against you; but if you speak English very well, that will honestly make you more attractive than the average Swedish guy. You could find an arab girl who isn't religious, that might work (they're very beautiful, we just don't normally see that cause in their countries they are all covered up lol). But Swedes don't really sleep with anyone unless they get drunk. They are nothing like Russian girls. But at the same time they aren't horrible like American girls. Some of them are quite feminine. Just realize there are 2 types of foreigners in the Swedish mind: 1: Americans, Italians, Canadians, Japanese (good immigrants) and 2. Arabs, Somalis (bad immigrants). Indians are not really in either group, but in terms of dating you will probably get thrown into the second group unfortunately. On the other hand you'll probably get thrown into the first group in terms of jobs (Indians are known for being ambitious, at least in my mind). I can speak Swedish, but I never do unless I'm dealing with passport control. If I speak English I get great treatment, if I speak Swedish, I get horrible treatment. Easy choice in my mind.

In my opinion, if you're going to Sweden to make money, GO FOR IT. You'll make tons of money if that is your salary, assuming you can get something decently priced to live in (Sub 700 USD/mo). But if you're going for dating or social reasons, stay away. (This applies to all men, regardless of skin color)
BenT
Freshman Poster

Re: SWEDEN (Country Information Thread)

Post by BenT »

In terms of money-making. What are some good "mercenary" jobs you could do for a year there? Say, you're living in Eastern Europe and needed to replenish funds or meet a specific monetary objective like a house?