Thinking of moving to Europe sooner...

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Thinking of moving to Europe sooner...

Post by OzGuy »

I am getting so fed up with Australia that i'm actually considering moving to Europe earlier than planned (less than 3 months). I have nothing keeping me here, I really only have one or two friends and they are always too busy to do stuff. I have seen everything there is to see around here, and i'm bored on weekends. I'm also getting sick of my job. Basically it feels like i'm stuck in a rut.

Originally my plan was to visit first (August) for a month, then come back and think about it for a while to see if i'd want to move there (eg 4 months later).

But now i'm tempted just to go over there, do my trip around europe, then just stay there and cancel my return flight.

I have the cash to do it, I probably have enough savings to survive for at least a year without a job (worst case scenario if I don't get work).

I have a reasonably well paying job, so that would also mean i'd miss out on another 4 months pay if I didn't go back.

Visa's aren't an issue, as i'm a swiss citizen and can therefore live anywhere in the EU.

But the risk is, what if I quit my job here, then only to discover I don't want to stay over there? (although unlikely)

What would you guys do in my position? Go for it now, or visit first then think about it for a few months?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Where in Europe would you visit?
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Post by Blue Murder »

I say visit now and think. This way, you aren't committed to a new environment if it doesn't strike your fancy after you've been there for a while. Like you said, you can work anywhere in the EU because of their model, so being 'able to work' won't be an issue -- it's then a matter of FINDING it.

My overall point is LEAVE NOW. Yeah, for a short visit, but do NOT stay there. Trust me -- that's poisonous. Best thing you can do for yourself is just f**k it all and go somewhere else.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

Blue Murder wrote:I say visit now and think. This way, you aren't committed to a new environment if it doesn't strike your fancy after you've been there for a while. Like you said, you can work anywhere in the EU because of their model, so being 'able to work' won't be an issue -- it's then a matter of FINDING it.

My overall point is LEAVE NOW. Yeah, for a short visit, but do NOT stay there. Trust me -- that's poisonous. Best thing you can do for yourself is just f**k it all and go somewhere else.
Why not stay there? I have like 30 countries to choose from! If I don't like one I can just move to another.

I don't really have much to lose, because even if I did come back here, i'd be wanting to get a new job anyway probably.

I will also still have a place to live here if things go pear shaped and I need to move back for whatever reason.

I guess I could not put pressure on myself and just say "Ok i'll go there for 6 months then decide if I want to stay longer after that" depending on my circumstances etc.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thinking of moving to Europe sooner...

Post by Jester »

OzGuy wrote:I am getting so fed up with Australia that i'm actually considering moving to Europe earlier than planned (less than 3 months). I have nothing keeping me here, I really only have one or two friends and they are always too busy to do stuff. I have seen everything there is to see around here, and i'm bored on weekends. I'm also getting sick of my job. Basically it feels like i'm stuck in a rut.

Originally my plan was to visit first (August) for a month, then come back and think about it for a while to see if i'd want to move there (eg 4 months later).

But now i'm tempted just to go over there, do my trip around europe, then just stay there and cancel my return flight.

I have the cash to do it, I probably have enough savings to survive for at least a year without a job (worst case scenario if I don't get work).

I have a reasonably well paying job, so that would also mean i'd miss out on another 4 months pay if I didn't go back.

Visa's aren't an issue, as i'm a swiss citizen and can therefore live anywhere in the EU.

But the risk is, what if I quit my job here, then only to discover I don't want to stay over there? (although unlikely)

What would you guys do in my position? Go for it now, or visit first then think about it for a few months?
Some here may be jealous of you. Enjoy!
targetguy
Freshman Poster

over 90 ahead for the job

Post by targetguy »

:cry: After living in the desert area in california where unemployment is over 30 percent and that is only the official statistic the job market there and a lot of other places in the us is getting worse all the time i would not recomend the us at all. Many here wish we could move to australia and have a good job with health care and good pay. Most of the jobs that are being offered here in the us are low pay with a 100 people in line in many places in california. Soimetimes things look greener in other places until you visit and see how things are. Unless high skillled i would consider yourself lucky and thankfull you have a job that pays well with health care which is a thing of the past in usa.
no scammers
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

While people are busy planning life is busy happing, and a lot of times their plans dont manifest. Which is why I prefer action.

I say if you want to do it just do it.

If you have decent skills you can always find a new job. Or find a rich girlfriend. :)
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Switzerland isn't part of the EU.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

eurobrat wrote:Switzerland isn't part of the EU.
No, not EU, but it's okay, it's Schengen.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Thats crap, how come I'm not allowed to go live in Switzerland with my EU passport?

And how did you get a swiss passport. Those are really hard to get.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

@OzGuy

I'm making the jump and leaving later this year. I would go sooner but money wise things have been slow this year. Also I have a condo I need to rent out that I will collect $200/month on and help me pay the rent elsewhere.

Lets both make a pact to leave the western world by the end of this year. Like you said nothing is really going on and my social life sucks also. My job is decent but living in America sucks.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

eurobrat wrote:Thats crap, how come I'm not allowed to go live in Switzerland with my EU passport?

And how did you get a swiss passport. Those are really hard to get.
Actually I'm pretty sure you are, as they are still part of the bilateral agreement in Europe.

My mother is (indirectly) swiss through her parents, so that's how i'm a citizen. I'm very lucky. Having a swiss passport is like having a golden ticket. Normally it takes 12 years to become a citizen, and only if you're lucky.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

eurobrat wrote:@OzGuy

I'm making the jump and leaving later this year. I would go sooner but money wise things have been slow this year. Also I have a condo I need to rent out that I will collect $200/month on and help me pay the rent elsewhere.

Lets both make a pact to leave the western world by the end of this year. Like you said nothing is really going on and my social life sucks also. My job is decent but living in America sucks.
Stuff waiting till the end of the year, I've decided i'm moving in August! I will still do my trip around Europe as originally planned though, as i've already paid for the flights within Europe. However instead of flying back home i'm going to switzerland to live. Seeing other parts of Europe first will also give me a comparison to Switzerland, in case I ever want to live in another European country. I will be going to Amsterdam, London, Paris, Switzerland (of course), Rome, Berlin, and possibly Prague and Munich.

I have done all my calculations, and I'm actually better off going over there earlier to start working (even in a basic job), because i'd be earning more in their currency than I would if I returned here to save for another few months. In Switzerland the pay is higher and taxes are lower compared to Australia. It's a very expensive country, so that is why the pay is higher.

So yeah, instead of being one of those people who complain and do nothing, i'm actually going to do it, and only in a few months time!

I suggest all you men on here do the same. Put all your energy into getting enough cash together to move and make it happen.

So what am I looking forward to about leaving Australia?

- Infinitely better women
- No more bogans
- Less binge drinking drunks
- Being able to have an intellectual conversation that doesn't just involve football
- Quieter people
- Being able to actually make friends
- Fitting into a culture i'm more suited to (hopefully)
- No more unbearably hot summers
- An equal justice system, regardless of whether you're male or female
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I'm in Europe now and have spent nine months in different parts of it during the last three years. There are some things about it that are annoying, like not being able to get free water at restaurants. The drivers are nuts.

But I think the expectations you list are reasonable. One caution: don't expect the women to be coming on to you, or even flirting with you. You're going to have to open the conversations, but once you do they generally are quite friendly. I think you've said in the past that you're not ballsy about approaching women in public. You probably should get a little bit that way. Europe has a lively conversational culture, but you're going to have to force your way into it or you will be completely ignored by it. Especially if you're going over there without a job or some other entree into social life.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

gsjackson wrote:I'm in Europe now and have spent nine months in different parts of it during the last three years. There are some things about it that are annoying, like not being able to get free water at restaurants. The drivers are nuts.

But I think the expectations you list are reasonable. One caution: don't expect the women to be coming on to you, or even flirting with you. You're going to have to open the conversations, but once you do they generally are quite friendly. I think you've said in the past that you're not ballsy about approaching women in public. You probably should get a little bit that way. Europe has a lively conversational culture, but you're going to have to force your way into it or you will be completely ignored by it. Especially if you're going over there without a job or some other entree into social life.
Which countries and what was your favourite?