Imagine having this guy as your Drill Sergeant

Share funny jokes, stories or comical content.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Imagine having this guy as your Drill Sergeant

Post by jamesbond »

Here is a scene from the movie, "Full Metal Jacket" where the gunnery sergeant (Lee Ermey) puts some new recruits in their place! :P

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Memories.

At Fort Knox, the drill sergeants weren't psycho. Good guys, great noncoms, really cared.

But they did cobine dirty talk and humor that way.

BTW when I got divorced and was down and out and in the dumps, my late brother, the music aficionado and tech wiz, burned me a CD compilation of various songs to memorialize various episodes of my life and help me let out the anger and pain. Guy stuff, like "I buried the bitch 6 feet under." This monologue was on the compilation.

Incidentally, a lot of this monologue was improvised:

Full Metal Jacket (1987) Director - Stanley Kubrick Originally, R. Lee Ermey wasn't even cast in the role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman but after Ermey submitted a tape of himself spewing insults at group of Royal Marines for 15 minutes straight, Kubrick cast him immediately Ermey wrote 150 pages of insults and Kubrick estimated that 50% of the character’s dialog was improvised by the former drill instructor.
http://screenrant.com/greatest-unscripted-movie-scenes/

More on the guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jester wrote:Memories.

At Fort Knox, the drill sergeants weren't psycho. Good guys, great noncoms, really cared.

But they did combine dirty talk and humor that way.

BTW when I got divorced and was down and out and in the dumps, my late brother, the music aficionado and tech wiz, burned me a CD compilation of various songs to memorialize various episodes of my life and help me let out the anger and pain. Guy stuff, like "I buried the bitch 6 feet under." This monologue was on the compilation.

Incidentally, a lot of this monologue was improvised:

Full Metal Jacket (1987) Director - Stanley Kubrick Originally, R. Lee Ermey wasn't even cast in the role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman but after Ermey submitted a tape of himself spewing insults at group of Royal Marines for 15 minutes straight, Kubrick cast him immediately Ermey wrote 150 pages of insults and Kubrick estimated that 50% of the character’s dialog was improvised by the former drill instructor.
http://screenrant.com/greatest-unscripted-movie-scenes/

More on the guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Oh, this guy is just a light-hearted comedian compared to my drill instructors at Parris Island. Seriously. They had the full repertoire of verbal abuse -- scumbag and maggot were the most common pejoratives -- but with an obvious underlay of genuine sadism. The black and the Puerto Rican, anyway. The white one was a lot like this guy.

Either Full Metal Jacket (which I didn't see) owes a large debt dialogue-wise to Officer and a Gentleman, or the latter owes it to the novel Full Metal Jacket. I suspect the novel originated the lines shared by the two movies.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:
Oh, this guy is just a light-hearted comedian compared to my drill instructors at Parris Island. Seriously. They had the full repertoire of verbal abuse -- scumbag and maggot were the most common pejoratives -- but with an obvious underlay of genuine sadism. The black and the Puerto Rican, anyway. The white one was a lot like this guy.

Either Full Metal Jacket (which I didn't see) owes a large debt dialogue-wise to Officer and a Gentleman, or the latter owes it to the novel Full Metal Jacket. I suspect the novel originated the lines shared by the two movies.
What do you think of such sadism?

My impression is that it "works"....

...but is not NECESSARY.

Why do I say that? Because there was no such sadistic training or slander amidst the Confederate forces during the War Between The States. They just showed up and fought.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Jester wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

What do you think of such sadism?

My impression is that it "works"....

...but is not NECESSARY.

Why do I say that? Because there was no such sadistic training or slander amidst the Confederate forces during the War Between The States. They just showed up and fought.
I just thought it was who they were -- lowlifes who had found a home and some societally-approved outlets for their aggressiveness in the Marine Corps. As the Puerto Rican observed, somewhat approvingly: "That My Lai shit happens all the time." Shakespeare talked about "unleashing the dogs of war;" you don't have to spend too much time in the military to figure out who the canines are.

As far as what works: If you want to get Americans to fight these continual corporate/Zionist policing actions, you sure as hell better scare the shit out of them, and keep them that way. Because, dumb as most of them are, they're still going to figure out soon enough that what they are doing is not benefitting the United States in any way. Such motivation as they're able to muster up isn't even remotely comparable to that of Confederate soldiers fighting for/on their homeland.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I watched FMJ last year for the first time since I watched it as a teenager. Because I had been a teacher it was apparent from the start that the Drill Instructor Hartman was in fact a good guy who wanted the best for his recruits. That is what makes the first part of the movie so tragic. Hartman genuinely thinks that he is doing Pyle a favor by forcing him to become a Marine, something Pyle is clearly not suited for at that time. They represent two awesome men who met at the wrong place at the wrong time. Tragic.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Another classic scene proving Hartman is a good guy:

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

{shaking head}
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Imagine having this guy as your Drill Sergeant

Post by Cornfed »

An interesting question about this is - did the Hartman character fail in the movie? Originally Stanley Kubrick though that Lee Ermey (originally hired as a consultant) was too nice to play his drill instructor. History has judged him wrong, but perhaps he was right. Ermey and the character he played can't help but being basically good. Maybe the whole interpretation of the movie would have been changed if the Hartman character were played by a genuine asshole.