Why do most Americans feel bored and depressed without a job

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

Why do most Americans feel bored and depressed without a job

Post by Winston »

Years ago, when I worked for the Washington Employment Agency, I remember that when the unemployed would come in for an assessment, I would often overhear them tell our staff:

“I would much rather be working than collecting unemployment benefits. When I’m working, I have pride and purpose. I earn my money. And my weekends mean something. But when I’m unemployed, my weekends have no value. I don’t enjoy them.�

Frankly, I never understood this mentality that most Americans have.

I remember during my periods of unemployment, people would occasionally ask me “Aren’t you bored?� which would bewilder me, since how can one be bored when they have freedom to do what they want, get up whenever they want, eat whenever they want, etc.? Isn’t it far more boring and mind numbing to be under constant surveillance as a slave 8 to 9 hours a day, against your will, doing something you don’t want (most people’s jobs are not aligned with their interests after all), just for the money and because you “have to�? Hell ya! So I never understood this logic that said that your life is boring without a job and exciting with one.

Obviously, society conditions you to believe that your life is boring, meaningless, devoid of purpose, and ultimately depressing if you don’t have a JOB or regular employment, as if you were only half a man without one.

But for me, nothing could be further from the truth. With a million interests, I can always find something to do when I’m not working. Here is a list of examples off the top of my head:

- There are an unlimited amount of good interesting books I can read, in all areas of interest.
- There are an unlimited number of great films to watch that I’m interested in.
- There is a unlimited variety of music I can listen to.
- With the advent of the internet of course, there is an unlimited endless number of things I can do online, more than I could ever have time for.
- There are many hobbies I can indulge in – writing books and articles, learning to draw or paint, or learning any new skill or craft, etc.
- Outdoor activities, parks, hiking, swimming, sports, boating, etc. And if you live near a national park, all the better.
- Travel the world or around the country.
- There are an unlimited number of interesting people out there to meet and spend time with too (unless they are all working, which would be the case in workaholic type countries), especially if you are in a country where people are more open, communal, inclusive and less isolated.
- I can go shopping.
- I can learn to cook and prepare meals, or bake cookies
- I can call my many friends on the phone from all over the world

The list is endless as you can see. And the above can never be completely exhausted either. So how the hell can you have nothing to do if you’re unemployed? That makes no sense and seems like a cheap brainwashing tactic of society. I also don’t see why I have to feel “guilty� for doing what I want if I’m unemployed. In fact, even if I did nothing during my free time except sit around and daydream with my active rich imagination, I’d still be far more entertained than working a typical job of drudgery.

When I was at that Employment Agency and eventually laid off due to budget cuts, my coworkers felt pity for me and expected me to feel bad and take it hard. But in reality, I was in a state of euphoria, as though I were being released from jail (much like how I felt when I got out of high school) and about to regain my freedom again. My time and life would again be mine, and it was something to look forward to and be excited about, especially since I had plans to go overseas that summer and now had an excuse to extend my trip. This perplexed my coworkers, who believed that your job was your life and reason for living. Unlike me, they all “lived to work� and assumed that everyone else did too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What is that image supposed to symbolize?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Your right Winston, most people are slaves to their jobs and for some bizzare reason they feel GUILTY if they are not working! WTF? It's weird, we spend most of our life working at jobs we don't like and were told, "that's the way things are." Or how about if someone says, "well, at least you have a job." I love my free time, free time is the most valuable commodity out there!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Now is like the best time to get laid off! o.O!

If you're laid off in California on or after Feb 22 2009, you may be eligible to receive:

26 weeks of State UI (Unemployement Insurance)
20 weeks of Federal Extension #1
13 weeks of Federal Extension #2
20 weeks of Fed-ED

That's up to 79 weeks (about 1 year and 7 months) of UI benefits! Woohoo!