I may quit my job after Labor Day

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Re: I may quit my job after Labor Day

Post by Hero »

zboy1 wrote:Hero, once you get your TEFL, apply for a job at my site: http://workabroad.today
OK, if I decide to go to China.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Hero wrote:If I don't make a major life change soon, then I'm facing another 20 years of this:

1. Get up
2. Go to work
3. Come home
4. Watch TV
5. Go to bed
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until dead.
Hey that sounds like most people's lives in the US. There is an old saying, 'most men lead lives of quiet desperation'.

A lot of us want to make major changes in our lives, of course having to work and make money eliminates most of our dreams (at least for a while).
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
ezinho
Freshman Poster

Post by ezinho »

Are you able to liquidate your retirement funds without paying too much of a penalty? Is it a 401k or IRA?

Might be a good idea to invest it in something that will generate income, perhaps real estate.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

ezinho wrote:Are you able to liquidate your retirement funds without paying too much of a penalty? Is it a 401k or IRA?

Might be a good idea to invest it in something that will generate income, perhaps real estate.
I hope to avoid liquidating any of my retirement funds, but if I have to, I'll just cash in my contributions to my Roth IRA. I won't incur any penalties or taxes that way.

My investments are already generating income tax-free, though I have to wait until I'm 59.5 years old before I can start taking distributions from them.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

jamesbond wrote:
Hero wrote:If I don't make a major life change soon, then I'm facing another 20 years of this:

1. Get up
2. Go to work
3. Come home
4. Watch TV
5. Go to bed
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until dead.
Hey that sounds like most people's lives in the US. There is an old saying, 'most men lead lives of quiet desperation'.

A lot of us want to make major changes in our lives, of course having to work and make money eliminates most of our dreams (at least for a while).
That's true, but I think that I may just have made enough money to leave my life of quiet desperation.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Hero,

As long as you don't have any debt or dependents I think your OK money wise. If things don't work out overseas I don't see why you can't just come back and work again.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

chanta76 wrote:Hero,

As long as you don't have any debt or dependents I think your OK money wise. If things don't work out overseas I don't see why you can't just come back and work again.
Well, actually it would look pretty bad on my resume if I quit my corporate job, went overseas to teach English for a few years, and then came back. But that's a chance I'm willing to take.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

If you're old and not rich with a deep social circle, you're pretty much screwed. That's the position I find myself in. I just wonder if things would be any different abroad. Wouldn't you be just as anonymous and lonely "there", wherever "there" is, as you are here? At least you have a legitimate career in the US, something you can hang your hat on.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:Sometimes you just have to leave it behind because it's killing you. There's no point to going through life as a zombie. The heart has a way of rebelling against what it knows is wrong.
Well-said.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Guhji wrote:If you're old and not rich with a deep social circle, you're pretty much screwed. That's the position I find myself in. I just wonder if things would be any different abroad. Wouldn't you be just as anonymous and lonely "there", wherever "there" is, as you are here? At least you have a legitimate career in the US, something you can hang your hat on.
That's a risk I'm gonna have to take.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I did it! I finally quit my job today! I sent my boss my resignation letter so it's official!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Hero wrote:I did it! I finally quit my job today! I sent my boss my resignation letter so it's official!
Congrats. Now go slay some EE honeys. Keep us posted on how that goes -- I have similar plans. Have you decided what country you're headed for?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 29th, 2017, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

gsjackson wrote:
Hero wrote:I did it! I finally quit my job today! I sent my boss my resignation letter so it's official!
Congrats. Now go slay some EE honeys. Keep us posted on how that goes -- I have similar plans. Have you decided what country you're headed for?
Not yet. I've heard that I can make a good living in Argentina. But on the other hand, people here have said that Argentina isn't the easiest place to get quality women (there are lots of gorgeous women, they're just not easy to get). I just have to find a country where I can make a decent amount of money teaching English AND where I can find me a honey to help me spend my money.