Technology has killed businesses and socializing

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Technology has killed businesses and socializing

Post by GoingAwol »

10 years ago (2006) I was a teenager and there were a variety of movie, music, game,and book stores in my city. Fast Forward to 2016 and there is only one store in my city where you can go to rent movies and video games or buy books and music CDS. This store is called Hastings and the only reason it has held out is because it sells and rents movies and video games and also sells books, CDs, and novelty items. Since 2006, I have seen blockbuster video stores, hollywood video stores, game crazy stores, game haven stores, FYE music stores, and borders book stores disappear from my city. Sadly, I just found out that Hasting's has filed for bankruptcy and is fixing to go out of business too. This upsets me because it was the last good store in my city. What has killed businesses like Hastings? Modern technology! Today people can stream and download movies,music, and books from their homes. This has made music, book, game, and movie stores obsolete. It's sad that all of these businesses have gone under because they had great products, but what's more sad is the social void they have left. People bond over similar interests in books, movies, music, video games etc. and there used to be public places to bond over those things, but now that all the stores are disappearing it's getting harder and harder to find places to meet people and bond over those things. I wax nostalgic about the days when I would go into music,book, or game stores and would see people discussing their favorite music, books, and games. Sadly, those days are gone, and we now live in a culture where everyone downloads sh*t and stays home to sit on their fat azz. Modern technology has successfully taken the human element out of American culture and it is really sad. :cry:
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Technology has killed businesses and socializing

Post by Moretorque »

All the technology is great, we are the problem. We do not even have to work anymore if it was all implemented correctly but because we are so stupid and such animals we have set things up to where more than likely we and our children are going to toil in hell here on earth rather than enjoy the planet and all fruit it bares.....

I don't know who wrote the Georgia Guide Stones but 500 million people sounds about right .

They told us in the bible, " if you eat freely of the mist of the center of the garden you will surely die " yes picking mother's crotch carelessly would appear to have killed us all...... :wink:
Time to Hide!
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

You're expected to do all your 'socializing' online now - social media. It's not the same is it?

GoingAwol wrote:10 years ago (2006) I was a teenager and there were a variety of movie, music, game,and book stores in my city. Fast Forward to 2016 and there is only one store in my city where you can go to rent movies and video games or buy books and music CDS. This store is called Hastings and the only reason it has held out is because it sells and rents movies and video games and also sells books, CDs, and novelty items. Since 2006, I have seen blockbuster video stores, hollywood video stores, game crazy stores, game haven stores, FYE music stores, and borders book stores disappear from my city. Sadly, I just found out that Hasting's has filed for bankruptcy and is fixing to go out of business too. This upsets me because it was the last good store in my city. What has killed businesses like Hastings? Modern technology! Today people can stream and download movies,music, and books from their homes. This has made music, book, game, and movie stores obsolete. It's sad that all of these businesses have gone under because they had great products, but what's more sad is the social void they have left. People bond over similar interests in books, movies, music, video games etc. and there used to be public places to bond over those things, but now that all the stores are disappearing it's getting harder and harder to find places to meet people and bond over those things. I wax nostalgic about the days when I would go into music,book, or game stores and would see people discussing their favorite music, books, and games. Sadly, those days are gone, and we now live in a culture where everyone downloads sh*t and stays home to sit on their fat azz. Modern technology has successfully taken the human element out of American culture and it is really sad. :cry:
Chinaebuys - http://www.chinaebuys.com
Buy and Ship any Product Internationally from China
Shipping to more than 200 countries worldwide
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

It's like replacing a fun, social meal around a table with a drip.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

I was born in 1991, and it is insane how much things have changed in just the past 25 years. Heck, it's even crazy to look at how things have changed since 2010. Just in the past five years or so, people have become zombies that have their eyes glued to their smartphones even when they are with friends and family.
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

The world is apparently never been more 'connected', and yet people are more ignorant and isolated than ever

Even though i disagree with a lot of what alex jones talks about, he makes some very interesting comments about electronic screens dumbing us down, and the negative health effects they have on us. Its seems we are spending far too much time in screen addiction, and it is quickly moving towards a 'terminator genesys' + 'matrix' style virtual reality zombie world

I remember when i was young my friends would come over and we would spend all day outside climbing trees, playing with the dog, riding bikes and running amok in the neighborhood grabbing free tossed out magazines and just general tomfoolery. Now i see today's young kids and they are addicted to e-devices, have tons of behavioral issues and add-like symptoms, and are exposed to far too many toxins. Im making an effort to limit my screen time and get out in the real world as much as possible
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

The connections are all quantitative not qualitative. They're moving us to a digital world.
Chinaebuys - http://www.chinaebuys.com
Buy and Ship any Product Internationally from China
Shipping to more than 200 countries worldwide
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Do a Google search on this: US 6506148 B2

May shed some light on whats going on nowadays...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

Mr S wrote:Do a Google search on this: US 6506148 B2

May shed some light on whats going on nowadays...
Perhaps this explains the horrible addictiveness of e-screens, and how you feel like crap after being on them for a few hours?