What the hell do they put in American food?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
sentinel89
Freshman Poster

What the hell do they put in American food?

Post by sentinel89 »

I have been back in the U.S. since December 22nd. I spent 6 months in Colombia. While I was in Colombia, I lost a significant amount of weight. I'd say somewhere around 15-20 lbs. I've only been back in the states for a few weeks and I've been gaining weight at the rate of literally ONE POUND PER DAY. My diet habits were probably worse on paper in Colombia. I ate tons of empanadas, arepas, bunuelos, french fries, and cheeseburgers. I was walking a lot every day in Colombia, but I made it a point to hit the gym when I got back to the states to compensate for the less walking I'd do. I have consistently gone to the gym.

Now even if I came back and ate a gallon of ice cream a day and didn't do any exercise at all, there's absolutely no way that I should be gaining weight this fast. There is some sort of manufactured obesity in the U.S. If someone would have told me this a year ago, I would have called them crazy. Something is put in American food to make people fat.
josephty1
Freshman Poster

Re: What the hell do they put in American food?

Post by josephty1 »

Deleted
Last edited by josephty1 on July 27th, 2018, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sentinel89
Freshman Poster

Post by sentinel89 »

In my case it couldn't be about portion sizes. Even if it was, a pound a day is too much to be explained by portion sizes
wanderlust
Freshman Poster

Post by wanderlust »

Sentinel, what does your US diet consist of specifically?

There are more preservatives and additives in the processed food here than anywhere I know of. Then there is glyphosate, AKA "Roundup." It's sprayed on GMO crops as an herbicide to kill everything but the Roundup-ready GMO crop. It's also sprayed on non-GMO crops of numerous types to make them die and dry out faster prior to harvest (grain, cotton, various beans, etc).

Corn and soy crops in the US are virtually all GMO today. Guess what animal feed is made of? When the residues on those things make it into animal feed it gets concentrated in the animal many times over, so expect a lot in your meat, milk and cheese.

I've read there is mounting evidence that some people are more vulnerable to glyphosate, the result being insulin resistance, weight gain and diabetes. Some suspect Hispanics and Blacks are more vulnerable than average. Glyphosate or Roundup was introduced in the 1990's, becoming almost ubiquitous by 2012 and obesity roughly tripled during that time. Its use outside the Anglosphere is fairly limited.

If you're looking for something to switch to, consider eating more rice and beans, less meat, less cheese, more vegetables. Maybe even seek out organic flour and rice to cook with.

There's one more big thing in US meat - antibiotics - that is suspected of causing obesity. The theory is it kills the healthy gut fauna so the body absorbs more calories, if I recall. US is on the cusp of trying to cut down on this, but the practice is just ramping up in China and Russia.
Last edited by wanderlust on January 2nd, 2016, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

A person can buy cheese from Ireland and Australia produced from pasture (grass) fed cows, meats that have the label of grass fed, and organic milk are more expensive but they are healthy and aren't GMO. Grass fed meats taste a lot better and have a better flavor, compared to the common meats that are most probably GMO corn-fed.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I've lost so much weight in China, even though I eat just as much as I did back in the States. Plus, the food in China is often of poor quality, but it's better than the States. What does that tell you of American food? Lol!
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Tsar wrote:
January 1st, 2016, 6:17 pm
A person can buy cheese from Ireland and Australia produced from pasture (grass) fed cows, meats that have the label of grass fed, and organic milk are more expensive but they are healthy and aren't GMO. Grass fed meats taste a lot better and have a better flavor, compared to the common meats that are most probably GMO corn-fed.
Agreed grass fed beef tastes better.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.
NMBob
Freshman Poster

Post by NMBob »

Grass fed beef is leaner. It is actually a minority of the US consumers that prefer grass fed beef. I have very distant cousins with a beef business that had to switch off "grass fed" as most of the US customers gave them bad feedback. Same thing Tilman Fertitta found out on his cnbc show when he considered grass fed for one of his restaurant chains. Americans have had their palates trained away from the purely grass natural beef.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/26/first-l ... -line.html
Last edited by NMBob on January 9th, 2019, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Chinese (or Colombian) food may be fatty, not fresh, oily etc. but it's not loaded with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and a dozens of chemicals to keep it edible for 10+ years, and looking nice.

It's also because the American "lifestyle" is sedentary as f**k. When I was in Hong Kong, I ate MORE than I do in the US. I didn't go out of my way to eat healthy or organic foods. Yet I still lost weight and felt fantastic. I did my annual physical a few weeks after I came back and I had the best numbers of my life.

Why? Because anytime I wanted to do something in HK outside of our apartment, such as eating out, it'd require walking a minimum of 10 minutes walking to the bus or MTR station, standing while waiting for the bus or train, and then another 5-15 minutes of walking to reach the destination. Then repeat that for the way back plus five flights of stairs since our building's elevator was slow and unreliable as f**k. But since we were already outside, we would usually wander around for a few hours before heading back. I felt I was ALWAYS walking.

In the US, I feel I am ALWAYS sitting. If I want to eat out, I get in my car, eat, then drive back. I need to actively make time to exercise or go to the gym. Even if I want to find a nice place to walk for a few hours, I need to drive first !!! I f***ing hate suburban sprawl and our reliance on cars. In other countries, physical activity is a routine part of the day and feels seamless and even enjoyable. Hence the lower obesity and depression rates, IMO.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

When I was in Central America and Mexico, I ate a lot of "comida tipica" (and Belizean food yumm-may!).....with mad rice and still lost weight like a k-9 canine and 5 white cops accosting me with a door ram with only 2 seconds to hide the stash in the floor.....i lost it that quickly from being there. Ate well and booyah lost 3 inches off my waist in 90 days.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Look no further. The reason is high fructose corn syrup.

Anerican food and drink tend to be infused with this substance. It unfortunately:

It is addictive and causes you to overeat,
-and-
Causes the metabolism to slow down and accumulate fat.

Lack of proper portion control is also a contributing factor, but HFCS is the reason most people put on weight in the US of Gay.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 3:43 pm
Look no further. The reason is high fructose corn syrup.

Anerican food and drink tend to be infused with this substance. It unfortunately:

It is addictive and causes you to overeat,
-and-
Causes the metabolism to slow down and accumulate fat.

Lack of proper portion control is also a contributing factor, but HFCS is the reason most people put on weight in the US of Gay.
I believe that there were Japanese scientists whom created HFCS in order to use that as a counter-weapon against Americans for what they did to Japan in WWII. Great strategy; it's working.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

This right here is another reason I would never want to set foot in the U.S. of Gay ever again. Most of the food is unhealthy, and it's not just HFCS. Many meats are injected with GMOs. Then there are soy-laden products, and soy is not good for men because it increases estrogen while at the same time decreases testosterone; that's why there are a lot of "soy boys" in the U.S. nowadays.

I lost around 10 kg over the last couple of months, and I'm looking to stay slim the rest of my life. Never again I want to get obese like I did in 2014. I've also been gradually increasing my testosterone levels, simply by eating eggs almost every day for breakfast (often accompanied with steak and/or another protein-based food like beans).
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

MattHanson1990 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:31 pm
This right here is another reason I would never want to set foot in the U.S. of Gay ever again. Most of the food is unhealthy, and it's not just HFCS. Many meats are injected with GMOs. Then there are soy-laden products, and soy is not good for men because it increases estrogen while at the same time decreases testosterone; that's why there are a lot of "soy boys" in the U.S. nowadays.

I lost around 10 kg over the last couple of months, and I'm looking to stay slim the rest of my life. Never again I want to get obese like I did in 2014. I've also been gradually increasing my testosterone levels, simply by eating eggs almost every day for breakfast (often accompanied with steak and/or another protein-based food like beans).
I am proud of you, Matt. There was a fcuked-up myth of eating eggs daily causing heart-clogging issues from cholesterol and all Americans believed the FDA back in the 80s for it. Well that didn't stop me because my body stacks fat quickly from simple carbs in the US of Gay so I knew I had to stop beasting on (i.e. eating a lot of...) cereal, muffins, and pancakes for breakfast.
rabbithabit
Freshman Poster

Post by rabbithabit »

preservatives and additives in the processed food is unique to western countries as well as huge portions at every meal. in asia most people eat fresh foods and small amounts more often.
Cute Rabbit