Something I really hate about American culture

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Something I really hate about American culture

Post by GoingAwol »

I hate a lot of things about American culture , but I especially hate the obsession American people have with owning a home/having their own place. Now that's not necessarily a problem all on it's own, but it becomes a problem when people force that expectation onto me and everyone else.You are seen as a loser in America if you continue to live with family as an adult, especially if you are a man. If you watch any movie that shows an adult man living at home with his parents he's be depicted as a basement dwelling loser with no goals or ambition. I'm not ashamed to admit that i'm 24 years old and still live at home, but it annoys me that i'm seen as a loser because of my living arrangement. I just completed my first semester of college and have a 3.5 GPA, I work full time (40 hours a week), and I have friends and hobbies. I have dreams and goals, especially to travel abroad to find a nice a nice wife. I'm not a loser, but people automatically peg me with that label because I live at home. Why is living with family as an adult so taboo in America? It's smarter and more economical to split the bills with multiple people!!! Plus, let's not forget that humans are social animals and we don't like to be alone. Just think about it, how many people do you know who actually live by themselves? Most people room with friends or live with their husbands/wives. So why in the hell should I give into the pressure and get my own place only to be alone and broke? I have noticed that the Russian women I have talked to don't seem to be obsessed with owning a home. In fact, most of them I have talked to live with their families. And the ones that don't live with their families only moved out because they got a job in another city. I haven't had a single one ask me "Do you own your own house?". They usually ask me "Do you live with family?" and when I say "Yes" they start asking me about my family and don't seem at all put off by the fact I still live at home. I suppose this is because Russian women actually value family like I do. I guess i'm fundamentally incompatible with American culture. I have no desire to live alone and go into debt so I can keep up with the Jones's.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: Something I really hate about American culture

Post by Wolfeye »

Because America is very big about "usurpation of reality." Like how they expect you to get a job, but you need job experience to get a job in the first place. How are you supposed to get the effect BEFORE the cause? Look at something:

They expect you to defend yourself without the means. Weapons, athleticism, any kind of psychological attributes (bravery, righteous aggression, keen-mindedness, combative knowledge, etc...)- all of these things are "bad guy" traits. If a martial artist or a special forces soldier were to get into a fight & win, that training is evidence against them- as if someone is ALLOWED to defend themselves, as long as they aren't ABLE to do it.

They expect someone to show up well-learned in school & if you are, they have a problem with that (you're a "know-it-all" or they simply get mad without knowing why). If you act on their advice & things don't go well, they even get pissed-off at you- because THEIR advice didn't work. In stark contrast to reality, they blame you.

They help terrorISTS terrorIZE, while saying that they are working to make that not happen. They present facilitation as vitiation.

They do the same thing in the opposite direction when they talk about "helping" & "improving" things- usually they make things worse or do nothing.

Medicine doesn't tend to work as advertised, either. Whether it's pills or procedures, tests or treatments- there's frequently SOMETHING askew. Risks, inaccuracies, alternatives, low effectiveness, false representations of condition prevalence- oh, and those lovely side-effects (like pills that make people bat-shit-crazy or give guys tits, never mind the various birth defects- guess they can't wait 'til the kids are born to start f***ing-up their lives).

This is not the manner of a sane people. Either it's craziness, maliciousness, or crazy maliciousness. All done with a straight face & lots of reasons that amounts to strategically supporting the same bullshit they were just supporting earlier with less complexity.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

If you are living with parents while gainfully employed in order to establish a nest egg or wealth, you are no loser. Quite the contrary. This is especially smart while working to pay off student loans.

Loser status is when there is no ambition nor wealth-building associated with the living at home with parents.
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

GoingAwol wrote: I'm not ashamed to admit that i'm 24 years old and still live at home, but it annoys me that i'm seen as a loser because of my living arrangement. I just completed my first semester of college and have a 3.5 GPA,
I wonder what American women think of guys who live on their own, but if he lives in an apartment.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The idea seems to be as inefficient as possible and consume as much resources in silly ways as possible. Any deviation from this is regarded as being a loser. At some point people will realize this is no longer a viable option.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Sex is an obvious need for young men. In a society where prostitutes are outlawed this forces men to bed civilian girls. The problem with this is logistics. Where do you bed a woman if you're living at home. From looking at third world countries what I've noticed is that there are high quality low cost hourly hotels. Men live at home into their early thirties but use temp hotels for the casual shag. These are places explicitly designed for hookups. Of course this is degenerate but it is practical for degenerate culture. America is in unique transition period where it has the worst of everything. Men are beginning to live longer at home like third world countries but there are no hookup hotels or prostitutes to relieve temporary needs.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

drealm wrote:Sex is an obvious need for young men. In a society where prostitutes are outlawed this forces men to bed civilian girls. The problem with this is logistics. Where do you bed a woman if you're living at home. From looking at third world countries what I've noticed is that there are high quality low cost hourly hotels.

Men live at home into their early thirties but use temp hotels for the casual shag. These are places explicitly designed for hookups. Of course this is degenerate but it is practical for degenerate culture. America is in unique transition period where it has the worst of everything. Men are beginning to live longer at home like third world countries but there are no hookup hotels or prostitutes to relieve temporary needs.
Almost every country in the world has legalized prostitution, American is one of the few countries that has not legalized prostitution. This means guys have to learn "pick up artist" techniques in order to try to get laid.

No wonder why the PUA community is so big in the United States. The PUA community does not exist in most countries because it is not needed.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

jamesbond wrote:
drealm wrote:Sex is an obvious need for young men. In a society where prostitutes are outlawed this forces men to bed civilian girls. The problem with this is logistics. Where do you bed a woman if you're living at home. From looking at third world countries what I've noticed is that there are high quality low cost hourly hotels.

Men live at home into their early thirties but use temp hotels for the casual shag. These are places explicitly designed for hookups. Of course this is degenerate but it is practical for degenerate culture. America is in unique transition period where it has the worst of everything. Men are beginning to live longer at home like third world countries but there are no hookup hotels or prostitutes to relieve temporary needs.
Almost every country in the world has legalized prostitution, American is one of the few countries that has not legalized prostitution. This means guys have to learn "pick up artist" techniques in order to try to get laid.

No wonder why the PUA community is so big in the United States. The PUA community does not exist in most countries because it is not needed.
Argentina is an example of third world country that has an even more severe PUA community than America. Of course they call it by another name "Chamuyero". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pTXDyFSM4E. It so competitive that even RooschV failed here.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Cornfed wrote:The idea seems to be as inefficient as possible and consume as much resources in silly ways as possible. Any deviation from this is regarded as being a loser. At some point people will realize this is no longer a viable option.
At what point do you think this will happen?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

GoingAwol, you are not a loser. I think American culture is going through a transition period. It's at the point where independent living is no longer viable for many people, but it's not yet socially acceptable to live with family as an adult. In time, the culture will adjust to the new economic reality. Then, the stigma will be gone.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Post by Blue Murder »

You're only a loser if, while living with your parents, your daily activities are masturbation, dope-smoking, video gaming and pizza delivery with an attitude as if your excrement has no odour. In other words, the WHY. You're living at home to save money and build a foundation of wealth. Thus, ambition. Thus, not a loser.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gnosis wrote:
Cornfed wrote:The idea seems to be as inefficient as possible and consume as much resources in silly ways as possible. Any deviation from this is regarded as being a loser. At some point people will realize this is no longer a viable option.
At what point do you think this will happen?
Possibly when the economy collapses and they are reduced to eating road kill.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

drealm wrote:
jamesbond wrote:

Argentina is an example of third world country that has an even more severe PUA community than America. Of course they call it by another name "Chamuyero". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pTXDyFSM4E. It so competitive that even RooschV failed here.
Argentina is not a third world country. It is first world. That's why Roosh failed there. He was used to playing the rich foreigner card to bang Peruvians and Bolivians before he came to Argentina. He tried that stuff on Argies and got shut down. By all reports, Argentina is analogous to France/England/Spain. A beautiful country to visit with attractive, mostly European stock women. You need resources, good looks, and Game to succeed there.
sentinel89
Freshman Poster

Post by sentinel89 »

Wolfeye wrote:Because America is very big about "usurpation of reality." Like how they expect you to get a job, but you need job experience to get a job in the first place. How are you supposed to get the effect BEFORE the cause? Look at something:

They expect you to defend yourself without the means. Weapons, athleticism, any kind of psychological attributes (bravery, righteous aggression, keen-mindedness, combative knowledge, etc...)- all of these things are "bad guy" traits. If a martial artist or a special forces soldier were to get into a fight & win, that training is evidence against them- as if someone is ALLOWED to defend themselves, as long as they aren't ABLE to do it.

They expect someone to show up well-learned in school & if you are, they have a problem with that (you're a "know-it-all" or they simply get mad without knowing why). If you act on their advice & things don't go well, they even get pissed-off at you- because THEIR advice didn't work. In stark contrast to reality, they blame you.

They help terrorISTS terrorIZE, while saying that they are working to make that not happen. They present facilitation as vitiation.

They do the same thing in the opposite direction when they talk about "helping" & "improving" things- usually they make things worse or do nothing.

Medicine doesn't tend to work as advertised, either. Whether it's pills or procedures, tests or treatments- there's frequently SOMETHING askew. Risks, inaccuracies, alternatives, low effectiveness, false representations of condition prevalence- oh, and those lovely side-effects (like pills that make people bat-shit-crazy or give guys breasts, never mind the various birth defects- guess they can't wait 'til the kids are born to start f***ing-up their lives).

This is not the manner of a sane people. Either it's craziness, maliciousness, or crazy maliciousness. All done with a straight face & lots of reasons that amounts to strategically supporting the same bullshit they were just supporting earlier with less complexity.
This is a very good topic, Wolfeye. I have never really thought about it this way. I've never challenged my own cultural conditioning that tells me that single men who live with their parents are losers. But it is pointless to consume more utilities just to be accepted by society when you are single with no kids.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

sentinel89: Thanks. It IS pointless & in truth, it doesn't make sense to do everything "grande" to begin with. It's like a Roman eating contest!