All but impossible to relocate to another country!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
tjh14
Freshman Poster

Re: All but impossible to relocate to another country!

Post by tjh14 »

I have Autism and receive SSI every month. Another question would be, which countries have Social Security or something similar to America's Social Security? And which countries would offer that to people with disabilities who can not work full time and/or can not handle a full time job?
I am almost certain you cannot collect SSI Disability and live outside the USA. SSI is NOT the same as Social Security, which is your retirement and has no residence restrictions. Here is one source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemen ... ity_Income

There will be NO country you can move to and begin collecting disability from their Treasury. They often have no disability for their own citizens much less people from other countries. They'd likely laugh you out of their office if you applied.

I'm sorry but if you have health issues, you'd best stay put. You won't have any of your government benefits. Life abroad for the disabled is tough. I think that's a deal breaker.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

tjh14 wrote:
I have Autism and receive SSI every month. Another question would be, which countries have Social Security or something similar to America's Social Security? And which countries would offer that to people with disabilities who can not work full time and/or can not handle a full time job?
I am almost certain you cannot collect SSI Disability and live outside the USA. SSI is NOT the same as Social Security, which is your retirement and has no residence restrictions. Here is one source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemen ... ity_Income

There will be NO country you can move to and begin collecting disability from their Treasury. They often have no disability for their own citizens much less people from other countries. They'd likely laugh you out of their office if you applied.

I'm sorry but if you have health issues, you'd best stay put. You won't have any of your government benefits. Life abroad for the disabled is tough. I think that's a deal breaker.
The official government website looks like it has no restriction or difference between SSI disability and SSI as far as receiving the payments internationally, except you cannot go to:
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Georgia (country)
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Moldova
Ukraine
Uzbekistan
Vietnam

I dunno, for OP, just at the very least call the office up and ask possibly? If the answer is yes, then you have nothing really stopping you at all from going abroad.
tjh14
Freshman Poster

Post by tjh14 »

Yes, check it out. I am often incorrect as my wife likes to remind me.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

tjh14 wrote:Yes, check it out. I am often incorrect as my wife likes to remind me.
A person can collect SSDI if they earned enough credits through years of working and move abroad. A person can't collect SSI disability if they move abroad.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

So in other words, is the USA really the only country worldwide that has some sort of government-provided income, such as SSI, for people with disabilities, especially those who can not work?
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

traveller wrote:So in other words, is the USA really the only country worldwide that has some sort of government-provided income, such as SSI, for people with disabilities, especially those who can not work?
No, most Western countries have it, including most of Europe, especially countries like Sweden, Finland, and Denmark. Countries that are "third world" generally have very minimal/no social safety nets, though. However for immigration, you cannot get permanent residence without a job in basically any country. This is the same for USA, they won't let you legally immigrate to USA unless you're working at some place, somehow. They figure their own citizens are enough drain on their welfare system, and do not want someone immigrating to drain their welfare, too.

Now, once you're in the country and attempted working, and have permanent residency status, then you're usually eligible for welfare benefits in that country like the actual citizens of that country (though sometimes not.) For example, I looked up Switzerland now, and you can receive their SSI if you've been a permanent resident and contributed to the system for 2 years. But you cannot go in claiming disability and just get benefits once you've hopped off the plane. Other options as well include say the rest of your family wanted to move to a country, and they were working, and you were not and were disabled, then usually you'd get benefits as well or at least the ability to legally be in the country (though again, maybe not) just because they'd be more understanding of wanting a whole family living together and wouldn't be heartless enough to separate a brother or sister or father, etc.

Of course too, there are some countries like UK that are very liberal with their social benefits, and people fresh off the boat from other countries (usually within EU) get benefits instantly and this is a scandal across Europe, and I don't know how they're managing to do that and how that works, but how I said with at least attempting to work is how it is normally for most countries.

Now, I don't know the extent of your autism and it's effects, but it's my belief in another country I may find working much easier with my Aspergers (and I'm probably able to get SSI for it too if I tried enough) less need to drive places, less need for social subtleties, etc. So it depends on how you are. But even without working in another country, if you do have the ability to save money here, it doesn't preclude a 90 day tourist visa, or even sometimes a 6 months or a year or more student visa, stay renting a cheap apartment in the country you choose, which even though it's not full immigration, is still better than most of the people on this forum who go "man I showed up to the Philippines for a week and half and went to a whorehouse, happier abroad 4 lyfe!111" Then on that 90 days in another country, who knows, maybe someone will offer you a job? Maybe you'll meet a girl? You won't know until you try. But as another poster said, if you look for excuses like property tax to not go to a country, then nothing will happen and your life will remain the same as it is now here.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

Yohan wrote:
traveller wrote:There is hardly any reason to apply for a citizenship, in general a permanent residency status, which I am holding for Japan since about 30 years is really OK. I keep my EU-nationality for life.
I've heard that Japanese women can be quite aggressive for white men as Japanese men seem to have thin penises. Is that accurate?