American society wants you to be a workaholic with no life.

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

American society wants you to be a workaholic with no life.

Post by Temprano26 »

When I first got a job I chose to work six days a week to maximize how much money I could make while still having a day off. Now six months later I make more money than all of my co-workers but does that make me happy? Hell no. I am saving money to go to Costa Rica so that I can have what I want - relationships, love, sex, everything that we are so angry to be denied in the US.

I inherited my work ethic from Mom but all she ****ing talks about is my career as if it is the only thing in my life. I have seen her working when she has a day off, when she is sick, even after recovering from surgery. She feels let down by most of the people in her life and works all the time as a way of dealing with it. She didn't even tell her mother she had gallbladder surgery because her mother is not a comforting presence. That is how distant our family is. We see them on holidays with nothing ever memorable to show for it. I am indifferent to my family now and I don't care if I see them anymore. Every time I get depressed Mom thinks it is because I either don't have a job or I am having a bad time at work. Otherwise she is trying to figure it out. It doesn't dawn on her that lack of strong human connections is getting me depressed because relationships are no longer valued as much as having a steady career.

Ultimately what is the ****ing point in working all the time and having so much money if you don't enjoy your life?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: American society wants you to be a workaholic with no li

Post by Adama »

Sounds like a one dimensional drone to me. You should go find a new mother. Or just accept she only thinks of work (and money).
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Take that trip to Costa Rica. You may then realize that people down there work just as hard only to exist and that your life isn't as terrible as you first thought.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Temprano26 wrote:When I first got a job I chose to work six days a week to maximize how much money I could make while still having a day off. Now six months later I make more money than all of my co-workers but does that make me happy? Hell no. I am saving money to go to Costa Rica so that I can have what I want - relationships, love, sex, everything that we are so angry to be denied in the US.

Relationships are no longer valued as much as having a steady career.

Ultimately what is the ****ing point in working all the time and having so much money if you don't enjoy your life?
Americans work the longest hours of anyone in the industrialized world, yet they get the least amount of time off. We truly are a "workaholic" country and studies show that we are also one of the loneliest countries in the world.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

Zambales, I HAVE been to Costa Rica which is why I want to go back so much. I found more happy people there in a few months than in a lifetime following the status quo. Look, America is awesome for earning a living and if people could speak to each other personally at coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. then there may not be as much reason to leave it.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

jamesbond wrote:
Temprano26 wrote:When I first got a job I chose to work six days a week to maximize how much money I could make while still having a day off. Now six months later I make more money than all of my co-workers but does that make me happy? Hell no. I am saving money to go to Costa Rica so that I can have what I want - relationships, love, sex, everything that we are so angry to be denied in the US.

Americans work the longest hours of anyone in the industrialized world, yet they get the least amount of time off. We truly are a "workaholic" country and studies show that we are also one of the loneliest countries in the world.

Yeah, okay. I wonder where you got that data from?

http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

Hours per annum:
2 237 - Mexico
2 216 - Costa Rica
1 990 - Chile
1 918 - Poland

1 788 - USA
1 388 - Germany
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

jamesbond wrote:

Jamebond you are absolutely right. In fact the U.S. is the one of the few industrialized countries in the world that does not require employers to paid leave to it's workers. Also, Mr. Bond I have a comparison of how many average vacation days other European countries give their workers each year. The following data comes from the Center For Economic Policy Research which is a center-to-left think-tank based in Washington, D.C.:

1.) France ( 30 days )
2.) United Kingdom ( 28 days )
3.) Portugal ( 22 days )
4.) Germany ( 20 days )

Here are some related news links by www.marketwatch.com:

"NEARLY TWO-THIRDS OF AMERICAN WORKERS DON'T TAKE PAID PARENTAL LEAVE"
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nearly ... 2015-06-03

"10 REASONS TO QUIT THE U.S. FOR EUROPE"
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-rea ... 2014-10-10

Also, I hope if anyone reading this post who hasn't seen this please watch two documentary films by Michael Moore called "SICKO"(2007) and " CAPITALISM-A LOVE STORY" (2009).
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Temprano26 wrote:Zambales, I HAVE been to Costa Rica which is why I want to go back so much. I found more happy people there in a few months than in a lifetime following the status quo.
I find that in the Philippines which incidentally is the fifth most happiest country in the world. Quite surprising really considering it's a poor country. Just goes to show that money isn't everything. For what it's worth, another poor country, Venezuela, ranked top in that survey.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

That's right. Money isn't everything but if I tell people I want to be somewhere else, their only reasons for staying in the US are ECONOMIC. Doesn't matter that you have a disconnected family, doesn't matter if you feel lonely and isolated, only that other countries invest money into the US. Our emotions are invalidated.
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

No wonder it seems most of American society, especially in government, looks down upon people with disabilities with heavy disdain. Especially in states that have bad quality services for people with disabilities, like Illinois for instance.

I saw someone mention Venezuela as being a "happy" country, unfortunately, I hear Venezuela is severely overrun with crime and violence, plus heavily corrupted police that I read help nobody who becomes a victim of crime.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Its been my observation narcissistic people love living In America more than anyone else. They like to believe the constant lies that America has the best education, jobs, shopping, medicine, hospitals, cars, houses etc... because it just feeds their huge egos. As a result, the American government has a vested interest in creating as many narcissistic people as possible to keep everyone from leaving and keep the country operating efficiently.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

I inherited my work ethic from Mom but all she ****ing talks about is my career as if it is the only thing in my life. I have seen her working when she has a day off, when she is sick, even after recovering from surgery. She feels let down by most of the people in her life and works all the time as a way of dealing with it. She didn't even tell her mother she had gallbladder surgery because her mother is not a comforting presence. That is how distant our family is. We see them on holidays with nothing ever memorable to show for it. I am indifferent to my family now and I don't care if I see them anymore. Every time I get depressed Mom thinks it is because I either don't have a job or I am having a bad time at work. Otherwise she is trying to figure it out. It doesn't dawn on her that lack of strong human connections is getting me depressed because relationships are no longer valued as much as having a steady career.

You can easily say that about DuPage County, Illinois, especially Chicago's west suburb of Oakbrook Terrace!

Thirty to forty years or so ago, Oakbrook Terrace was a place of fun and play. Where the Oakbrook Terrace Tower currently stands there used to be an amusement park with carnival rides including the Rock-o-Plane, the Tilt-A-Whirl, and such. And right across the intersection of Roosevelt and 83, there's an abandoned water park on the big hill with the billboard on top that was so much fun when it was open. Not to mention, to, on a grassy area between two roads a few hundred feet or so east of the Lexington Square Nursing Home used to stand the Elm Roller Rink, which without warning closed and was demolished. And in fact, that hill is fenced off so it can not even be used as a sledding hill, either! Oakbrook Terrace has in fact totally gone from being a place to play to an enforced all-work-no-play zone!
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

-Newsflash-
If you are a workaholic with no life you can afford to travel overseas. If you have a decent job you should be able to receive 2 weeks off a year Paid Vacation.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 5th, 2020, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

Well, it depends on if you like your career too. I love massage therapy; I love making someone's day a little bit better with what I do but if I was working all that time at a desk I'd be depressed.