The shallowness and insipidity of modern culture

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
RickyRetardo
Freshman Poster

The shallowness and insipidity of modern culture

Post by RickyRetardo »

I can't stand how shallow, heartless, and stupid modern pop culture is. It wasn't always this way. I know this because I can look back and see differences in the past. These are not just rose-colored lenses I'm looking through. There must have been something different, back in the old days.

You can just look at television. At one point, the Twilight Zone was a popular show. Most of the episodes in this series had lessons, and characters with emotional depth, characters to whom a real, thinking, feeling person could relate.This is just one example out of many. Pop culture once did not have a problem with emotional depth and learning morals from dramatic fiction.

Now, a lot of the shows are just utter garbage. They glorify stupidity and shallowness. It's not my imagination. I refuse to believe that. I can see it with my own eyes. Television is glorifying bad behavior and carelessness and selfishness. A show with lessons and deep characters would never succeed, with competition from the nonsense people adore now.

I can't be the only one who hates this. I feel like the cruel, shallow, greedy culture that surrounds me is wearing me down. And I'm starting to believe that this isn't just America--that this mindset is going to spread everywhere.
Let's get together and feel alright.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 26th, 2020, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Ghost wrote:TV is interesting. I've noticed that there aren't really any family shows anymore. And we even had those up into the 90s...
It's interesting...up until the late 90s, there were a lot of good, family-oriented sitcoms and comedies for the whole family; now, it's just reality T.V. shows. and mindless, immoral junk.

I grew up watching Little House on the Prairie, Full House, Family Ties, Home Improvement, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, The Wonder Years, and reruns of old sitcoms like the Brady Bunch, the Walton's, Gilligan's Island and the Partridge Family. Those were the days...
PandaMan
Freshman Poster

Post by PandaMan »

They want to tell you that you're CRAZY and WRONG for thinking that.

You're not wrong. You're right.

But a chorus will rise up if you bring it up, and a lot of "weird looks".

They want you to join in on the depravity and insanity with them.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I was gonna write a big giant post about how much I hated US media and how I haven't with very few exceptions watched TV in a few years, but this is much more concise than I could be.

One reason I think anime and Asian dramas have gotten popular over the last decade is actually because of this. Obviously they're not all angelic House on the Prairie type shows by any means, but they're a lot more traditional than the average American TV show and not utterly glorifying dysfunction on the whole.