What is standard of living vs quality of life?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

What is standard of living vs quality of life?

Post by Temprano26 »

I have an idea but I can't put it into words. I know the USA has a high 'standard of living" as in everyone has a nice house and a car but I still see a ton of miserable isolated people out there. I don't have much to complain about economically but as far as finding friends or romantic life the US sucks.

So is standard of living = economics whereas quality of life = happiness?
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Re: What is standard of living vs quality of life?

Post by nicho12 »

Temprano26 wrote:I have an idea but I can't put it into words. I know the USA has a high 'standard of living" as in everyone has a nice house and a car but I still see a ton of miserable isolated people out there. I don't have much to complain about economically but as far as finding friends or romantic life the US sucks.

The USA has replaced the human soul with Money and materialism which why most people are miserable. Materialism is a feminine way of looking at world, it places emphasis on tangible things on the expense of intangible things. It is not concerned with things like duty, honor, roots or the human soul. That's why the government of the USA has gone from the role of a father who maintains order and discipline in his household so that men are free to strive and prosper to that of a mother who makes sure that all of her children have what they need. In order for a society to increase it's happiness, it must have a balance of both the feminine spirit and the Masculine spirit because both genders are born with both spirits, the masculine spirit is greater in males(about 90%) and the feminine spirit is greater in females(about 90%). If you only allow the feminine spirit in a society, then you end up with the kind of decay we have in America where everyone feels entitled to everything and no one should be criticized and everyone should be treated equally. The consequence of that is that, you end up with Obese women because everyone is considered beautiful and you destroy the male attribute of competitiveness and drive to proper because no man is going to better himself when the reward is some 500 pound woman.

One the other hand, if only allow the masculine spirit in a society, then it may only be destructive and in the long run becomes boring because now you will only have competition and free thinking people. A society can not tolerate too many independent thinkers, because if that were the case, we could never agree on anything and would always be fighting against each other. So both spirits need to be balanced to have a happier society
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Temprano26 wrote:I have an idea but I can't put it into words. I know the USA has a high 'standard of living" as in everyone has a nice house and a car but I still see a ton of miserable isolated people out there. I don't have much to complain about economically but as far as finding friends or romantic life the US sucks.

It will really vary from person to person. Let's ask the guys out there.

Here's the question: So if you had to chose between one of the two, which one would you choose?

1. Living like a local in a 2nd or 3rd world country with a beautiful gf or wife that you love or... (Example Philippines on $500-$600 a month).
2. Living comfortably here in the West without a beautiful girlfriend or wife.

I think most would chose option #2. I posted something similar many months back. Can't remember what percentage that I used but I surmised something like 2/3 of the guys couldn't handle option #1 because it's difficult to reduce your standard of living and this is the reason why most guys will never be happier abroad.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

How about option #1 on $1200/month :)
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

pete98146 wrote:

Here's the question: So if you had to chose between one of the two, which one would you choose?

1. Living like a local in a 2nd or 3rd world country with a beautiful gf or wife that you love or... (Example Philippines on $500-$600 a month).

I think most would chose option #2. I posted something similar many months back. Can't remember what percentage that I used but I surmised something like 2/3 of the guys couldn't handle option #1 because it's difficult to reduce your standard of living and this is the reason why most guys will never be happier abroad.
But the standard of living in the USA is only temporary, it won't last more than 20 years to come because of lack of industrious males
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

davewe wrote:How about option #1 on $1200/month :)
Hi Dave,

Well that's the ultimate goal and the reason why both you and I won't relocate until after we retire! But I wanted to make the question difficult on purpose! But I doubt most would retire overseas on $1200 a month because guys in the West are too spoiled.

See you in a few days by the way :)
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Heres the problem... I would move to Dominican or Thailand tomorrow but work there sucks and pays shit, so only way is to make enough money in West to then move to one of these places.

I figure £1500 a month UK would be more than enough to move around and do as you wish, making love to beautiful girls all the way and changing countries when you tire.

I am aiming at 55 to make this dream come true!
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Heres the problem... I would move to Dominican or Thailand tomorrow but work there sucks and pays shit, so only way is to make enough money in West to then move to one of these places.

I figure £1500 a month UK would be more than enough to move around and do as you wish, making love to beautiful girls all the way and changing countries when you tire.

I am aiming at 55 to make this dream come true!
Novem
Freshman Poster

Post by Novem »

I think you more or less nailed it. The US has an extremely high standard of living(even more so for certain groups of people) but for the majority of US people I find that their quality of life is deficient or outright nonexistent in a lot of cases. The US is a pretty miserable country and you have people trying to fill that misery with all kinds of harmful activities or mindless consumerism.

@Pete

I would take option 1 but I want to start a big family and I'm pretty sure $500-600 isn't going to cut it even in the Philippines. :lol:
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

nicho12 wrote:
pete98146 wrote:

But the standard of living in the USA is only temporary, it won't last more than 20 years to come because of lack of industrious males
How do you define "industrious males"? Males with "superior street smarts combined with superior eye for opportunism and superior predatory/scam tactics"? In the past forty years living in Los Angeles, I've seen increasing influx of people with those "qualities" while the city (and state) degenerates more and more into a third world country standard of economics and quality of life. Los Angeles is already a city where "buyer beware" and "do unto others first before they do it to you" and "dog eat dog" mentality is the norm....very much like many third world countries.

Re Pete98146 hypothetical question: Agree that it is difficult for westerners to accept a reduction in the standard of living abroad, but also difficult to accept a different (compared to West) concept of ethics and law & order. When I was stationed in Latin America and Philippines, I've seen corruption, bribery, graft and nepotism as a normal way of doing business, which is alien to most decent Americans.
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

pete98146 wrote:

Depends what we consider reduce the standard of living.
If i reduce my material wealth but i win in my social,sexual,dating relationship,i will surely take the second option.
Of course the first one shouldn't be too much degraded.
With $500-$600 a month in Thailand it will be pretty short..possible but short.
In the Phillipines should be better but still short.
If i have a solid social circle,a solid gf who is financially independent,it should work.

In France i don't live and spend too much money for my material confort so they won't be a lot of changes when i go abroad.
I keep my money exactly for going to SEA.

For the same amount of cash i can improve on almost every segment,either materially and humanly.

And sincerely i'm quit doubtful of the beautiful girlfriend or wife back home as for me she can be the exception but the laws,the general conscensus makes me feel that i'm screwed when in a relationship in the Western world.
I'm the type of person who can never forget where i am.

In SEA in general,we are a lot less dependent on one lady..she can get out and we have far more possibility for find somebody else.
For me i'm very careful of the security and crime rate too.

The main problem is to generate money abroad without affecting too much the quality of life.