Why do Americans always say they are "doing great" 24/7 everyday, all the time?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

Why do Americans always say they are "doing great" 24/7 everyday, all the time?

Post by Winston »

There is something I can't understand or logically explain. Why is it that in America, you always have to say that "everything is great" and that you're always "doing great" or "feeling great", even when it's not true? It's dishonest and illogical. Yet the social pressure to say that is always there.

How come no one complains about it or questions this social norm? It's very weird. Why should I say that something is great if it's not? Why should I say that I'm feeling great if I don't?

It doesn't make sense. It's as if you are forced to lie. I'm surprised that more people don't question this. Only foreigners do, because in other countries, you do not have to always pretend to be "doing/feeling great". You are allowed to be more honest. It's primarily in America that you have to say that all the time.

When you think about it, it doesn't make sense. Why is something "great" without a reason? It's like you say "great" in America just for the sake of it. There's no logic to it. Why do so few people notice this or question it?

Also, even if I really am "feeling great", why do I have to say it to everyone, including complete strangers, as if I were spreading some type of religion or cult (cult of American optimism)? lol.

Why can't I just enjoy "feeling great" without telling everyone about it or drawing attention to it? If I have to tell everyone about it, doesn't that sort of discredit it? (Kind of like how the guys who brag about always getting laid usually aren't, whereas the guys who are getting laid a lot don't have to talk about it? lol) I mean, why do I need to let complete strangers know that I'm "feeling great"? Do I need their validation or something? lol

Besides, what does "great" mean anyway? It's very vague and non-specific. It would be more meaningful if you said one of the following:

- I feel happy today.
- I feel healthy and energized today.
- I feel loved and cared for.
- I feel appreciative of my life today.
- I am enjoying the weather today.
- I'm happily in love.
- My business is doing good and making a good profit.
Etc.

But "great" doesn't mean much. It's like a fake word used to project fake optimism for no reason. Ever notice that? It's one of the most meaningless words that Americans commonly use.

So look at the big picture here. In America, life FEELS empty, meaningless and depressing. People look unhappy, disgruntled, anxious, and grouchy, and are just grudgingly trying to get through life. Yet everyone puts up an act and says that they are "great" and that everything is "great". So you have all these FAKE people saying that everything is "great" for no reason!!!!!!

Is that bizarre and Twilight Zone-like or what? lol. It's like people are in a trance, uttering meaningless things for no reason without thinking about it. Weird huh?

Btw, have you noticed that the most sensitive people are the ones who sense the emptiness and meaningless of life in America the most? Insensitive people don't seem to feel it as much.
Last edited by Winston on January 12th, 2014, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

Yeah, I think about it. Ppl are asshats here. I don't deal w/ them. Fortunately, I like my own company... lol f**k that mess outside my door.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Well, I don't know whether the following maxim was coined in the US, but I suspect it was, and it certainly applies here in spades: "Never tell your problems to anyone. Half the people you tell don't care, and the other half are glad you have them."
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

North America has the highest rate of narcissism in the world, a known fact. America is the best country in the world even when it isn't just because the most arrogant people in the world live here. That's why no matter how much economic and social decay America experiences most of the people will choose to stay here just so they can say they live in America. Any suggestion this country is not the best place to live in the world is not acceptable.
American culture sucks but no one wants to admit it for fear of standing alone. If your too quiet or too pessimistic everyone will think there's something wrong with you. You need to have the personality of a used car salesman high on coke for everyone to think your "normal".
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajvf97
Freshman Poster

Post by ajvf97 »

This guy sure didn't sugarcoat things. Props to him.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Taco wrote:North America has the highest rate of narcissism in the world, a known fact. America is the best country in the world even when it isn't just because the most arrogant people in the world live here. That's why no matter how much economic and social decay America experiences most of the people will choose to stay here just so they can say they live in America. Any suggestion this country is not the best place to live in the world is not acceptable.
American culture sucks but no one wants to admit it for fear of standing alone. If your too quiet or too pessimistic everyone will think there's something wrong with you. You need to have the personality of a used car salesman high on coke for everyone to think your "normal".
That's true. But what does it have to do with my questions above about why you always have to say that "everything is great" even when it's not true?

America definitely is the leader in arrogance, self-absorption, narcissism and big egos. Nowhere else do people have such big egos. Even English and Canadian people seem far more modest and humble in comparison. The big ego thing, that is insecure at the core, is really an American thing. Even kids in America have a big ego now.

It can only mean that Americans are highly insecure at the core. I can only wonder why.
Ghost wrote: To be fair, most other countries basically do the same thing. It's just America is a big country and a blatant example as such. But any society claiming to be the best should not fear those who dissent, for that shows the proclamation is false.
What are you referring to? In other countries, you do not have to always pretend to be doing great, or say that everything is great. You are allowed to be more honest. Ask foreigners in other countries and you will see.

Also, people in other countries do not wave their flag around the way Americans do, as if patriotism is a religion. They can be patriotic without flaunting it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I think some of you might have misunderstood my question. I wasn't talking about having to say that America itself is great. I was talking about the fake positivity you are expected to exude about everything, including how you are feeling/doing.

For example, if you went to a boring party or had a boring trip, you are still expected to say "It was a blast!" even though it wasn't. If you had a boring weekend, the people at work expect you to say that you had a "good weekend". Etc. And of course, if someone asks how you are, you are expected to say that you are feeling or doing "great" as if feeling great is something you are supposed to feel 24/7, which is unrealistic and vague.

Do you understand what I mean now?

One time when I was in an elevator in a Las Vegas hotel, a guy in the elevator shouted out to everyone, "Come on everyone! Where's your enthusiasm? Aren't you having a great time here?" as though he thought it was strange that no one else looked excited about Vegas as he was. Why should people pretend? I don't get his logic. I was about to say to him "Dude, why should we pretend to be having a great time? What's the logic in that?" but I didn't bother.

Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

I understand what you are saying, Winston. Before I traveled to Costa Rica, I was in a state of chronic depression based on a lot of things but people fed me this bullshit about "fake it till you make it" which doesn't help in the long run. Sometimes people just feel like shit. It is a part of being human.

We are conditioned to think we are individuals out for only ourselves. Of course our sufferings belong only to us.
ZaroSath
Freshman Poster

Post by ZaroSath »

i sometimes do this and its a bad habit i've taken up, i think a lot of the time people will say generic responses (mostly to generic questions) for lack of care for the conversation itself, these people tend to take the easiest way out of it i find. i think they just dont feel like getting into it with everyone they meet although i think even friends do this..

but i believe this is related to the growing anti social interaction problem people have.

this reminds me of a incident that happened to me when i went to spokane washington which its a bit like a city but on a smaller scale,

i went to subway for some food and the gal there about my age (low 20's) seemed quite tired and busy, to sympathize i asked her how her day was going and in a frustrated manor she stopped what she was doing while showing a fake smile and said "good, and you?"
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Being positive is good for business. Your more likely to get a promotion at work, more likely to have friends, more likely to get a smoking hot girlfriend. However, Americans often take it to the extreme.
Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

Americans are like a broken record:

You: how are you today?

American: GREAT thanks!!!!

you: so how was your weekend?

American: omg it was amazing!!!! i had sooo much fun, it was GREAT!!!!

you: I am glad you had fun…..

American: OMG YEAH, I went shopping and took my wife to red lobster, it was GREAT!!!!!

you: (running outta topics here)….. ah I am sure your wife liked it!!!!

American: OH WOW YEAH!!! SHE SAID IT WAS GREAT!!!!

you: (god you're so f***ing dull!!!) (I miss people overseas)
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

and don't even get me started with the:

1. OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OOOOOHHHH MYYYYY GODDDDDD!!!! for every little damn thing the exclamation OMG, needs to come into play…. OMG, OH MYYYYY, OH MYYYY GOAAAWWWDDD!!!!!

2. like…. you know its like, omg its like, i was like going to the store and like…. like like like like (ILLITERATE FUCKEN MASSES)

3. dude….. dude, hey duuuude, duuuude omg its like duuuudee!!!!
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Winston, people say those kinds of things to strangers because they assume (correctly in most cases) that most people do not want to hear about their problems. It's very superficial.

Once you develop a deep relationship with a person (or even a bit beyond superficial), they will tell you their true feelings on things, most of which are not "great", unless they happen to be exceptionally positive people.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.