Update: WE ARE BACK ONLINE! The Forum has been RESTORED! See announcement here. If there are any problems or issues, please report them in the announcement thread. Note: Unfortunately I was not able to import the posts made after the crash (on Sept 18) into the restored forum. However, I exported all the posts submitted after the crash into a Word file, so you can download it, find your posts and re-post them. Download the posts here. Thanks for your patience and welcome back everyone!



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


What is the best thing about living in America?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Temprano26
Freshman Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: June 10th, 2013, 4:08 pm

What is the best thing about living in America?

Post by Temprano26 » July 26th, 2013, 8:56 am

I know we all post here because we are disenchanted with modern American society and I am too but America does still have its benefits. It is a great place to start a career in massage therapy for example and I take the train almost every day to be there. It is a great corporation but not a country of unified human beings. I often see immigrants from the Middle East that speak to nobody except their own race in their own language and indirectly alienating anyone else. Many of them don't like white people in general and cannot look us in the eye but they will milk America for all that it is worth to them. Foreigners don't want to connect with us and neither do Americans want to connect with each other. I cannot count how many times I have gone out and people just wanted to ask for a cigarette lighter and then turn their backs on me. Most relationships are shallow and business-related.

I take a train to massage class because this is my way to get out of America and to find real relationships. America is a damn good business with not much that is sacred. We are statistics and expendable business commodities. For a long stretch of time I kept searching online for a job and the only calls I got were from scam artists. The problem with America is that when the economy started going sour we didn't have much culture or anything else to lift our spirits. I was talking to a woman at a restaurant one night and she said "when times get bad Americans treat each other like shit" and it has been true for some time. To be fair though, there are some well-meaning people here too and people who are very good at their jobs but we cannot know them much deeper than that. I have gotten used to being lonely and using my intellectual abilities to make myself happy because I have always felt very alone here. I have always felt no one will come to my defense in my struggles and so I do not create battles with people. I have to develop my own character because nothing happens to me personally anymore.

So the best thing about America is that it is pro-consumer and we have what we need materially. We are not consumers however and we need something deeper.
Massage therapy is a great sub-culture that is free of the mainstream and full of people dedicated to compassion. Nobody in massage is taught to be mean and judgmental to people who are in pain. Oddballs are embraced for their eccentricities rather than scorned.

Throughout life I have had to shun mainstream America and find better people in the marginalized cultures. It is just sad that we have to search so hard for down-to-earth people.




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



Repatriate
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2533
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Post by Repatriate » July 26th, 2013, 9:15 am

Best thing about America:

1) Rule of law.If you haven't lived overseas you don't understand why this is important.

2) Decent infrastructure. Where i'm at it's top notch and if you have a problem it can be fixed within an hour at the max.

3) Cheap consumer products. Apple etc.. is cheaper than anywhere.

4) Good service.

5) Cheap real estate.

I don't hate America to be honest.it's not a bad trade off.

Banano
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2012
Joined: June 11th, 2011, 9:26 am

Post by Banano » July 26th, 2013, 9:26 am

America:

Cheapest cars in the world
cheapest petrol prices
cheapest real estate compared to 1st world countries
cheapest electronics

Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster
Posts: 491
Joined: June 3rd, 2013, 4:21 pm

Post by Mr.Darcy » July 26th, 2013, 4:46 pm

If I was to go to another country, I would be seen as a dominant culture

OutWest
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2427
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am
Location: Asia/USA

Post by OutWest » July 26th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Repatriate wrote:Best thing about America:

1) Rule of law.If you haven't lived overseas you don't understand why this is important.

2) Decent infrastructure. Where i'm at it's top notch and if you have a problem it can be fixed within an hour at the max.

3) Cheap consumer products. Apple etc.. is cheaper than anywhere.

4) Good service.

5) Cheap real estate.

I don't hate America to be honest.it's not a bad trade off.

My wife has been here with me in Oregon for a couple of months- her first time in the USA,
and she agrees with your list. Of course, her only comparison is the Philippines. We will
see what she thinks of Chile this coming year...

She does not think much of most of the American women she meets however...can't imagine
why a man would want to marry one....

Outwest

skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil
Contact:

Post by skateboardstephen » July 26th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Repatriate wrote:Best thing about America:

1) Rule of law.If you haven't lived overseas you don't understand why this is important.

2) Decent infrastructure. Where i'm at it's top notch and if you have a problem it can be fixed within an hour at the max.

3) Cheap consumer products. Apple etc.. is cheaper than anywhere.

4) Good service.

5) Cheap real estate.

I don't hate America to be honest.it's not a bad trade off.
It is for these reasons i want to go back to the U.S.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!

skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil
Contact:

Re: What is the best thing about living in America?

Post by skateboardstephen » July 26th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Temprano26 wrote: I often see immigrants from the Middle East that speak to nobody except their own race in their own language and indirectly alienating anyone else. Many of them don't like white people in general and cannot look us in the eye but they will milk America for all that it is worth to them. Foreigners don't want to connect with us and neither do Americans want to connect with each other.
As anyone wonder why this is?I have noticed this also...especially with these Latino groups in the U.S. and the women are the worse with this...it is like they think they are better than Americans because they are from another county,they are "exotic" and speak another language will try to alienate you are discourage you from perusing any kind of dialogue by them only speaking in their language..especially if they are female and you are an American male(worse if you are black)but of course they get pissed when they find out i speak Spanish and Portuguese fluently and understand everything they say. I am even better now after all most a year now in the country.

Or i remember some times when i talk to Brazilian men in the U.S...who where just a minute ago speaking in Portuguese with other Brazilians ignoring me but when i chime in they all the sudden want to switch to horrible broken English.

Has any also noticed how Americans don't want to connect with each other but will treat foreigners better than their own country men?Even though these foreigners really could not give a shit about Americans despite the fact they are living in America using our infrastructure,taking jobs and some times even receive well fare thanks to the U.S. tax payer.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2517
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am

Re: What is the best thing about living in America?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » July 27th, 2013, 1:53 am

skateboardstephen wrote:....Or i remember some times when i talk to Brazilian men in the U.S...who where just a minute ago speaking in Portuguese with other Brazilians ignoring me but when i chime in they all the sudden want to switch to horrible broken English.

Has any also noticed how Americans don't want to connect with each other but will treat foreigners better than their own country men?Even though these foreigners really could not give a shit about Americans despite the fact they are living in America using our infrastructure,taking jobs and some times even receive well fare thanks to the U.S. tax payer
See, this is why you need to kill yourself.....because you say taboo s.hit about race that most are too stupid or too much in denial to speak about. LOL jajajajaa (just kidding, dude) ...But seriously though, per bold, you are right to a T: Americans are nice to foreigners but don't want to speak the foreign language due to pompousness and s.hit.
Furthemore, I thought you said only Spanish-speaking Latinos do that s.hit (when it comes to speaking in horrible broken English when you had chimed in in perfect Porto).

zacb
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1536
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 4:33 am
Location: Somewhere out in the American West (for now)

Post by zacb » July 27th, 2013, 3:04 am

Repatriate wrote:Best thing about America:

1) Rule of law.If you haven't lived overseas you don't understand why this is important.

2) Decent infrastructure. Where i'm at it's top notch and if you have a problem it can be fixed within an hour at the max.

3) Cheap consumer products. Apple etc.. is cheaper than anywhere.

4) Good service.

5) Cheap real estate.

I don't hate America to be honest.it's not a bad trade off.
Plus the investment markets, which until recently were half way decent. I would also add a decent place to earn money, especially if you can do it online. The only other places that might be better are Japan and Australia.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com

Temprano26
Freshman Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: June 10th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Post by Temprano26 » July 27th, 2013, 3:57 am

"1) Rule of law.If you haven't lived overseas you don't understand why this is important. "

So more people follow the laws here in America? Could you expand on that?

I love Costa Rica but I hate the fact that people steal things so easily there. Most people are good and happy with their blessings; others will steal something just because it is laying out somewhere. A laptop will be gone in sixty seconds if you leave it out too long. Hell, a glasses case will be stolen because it is worth one rock of crack. Not in Rio Celeste however, where people practice Christianity in a small town by the river and nobody wants anything but to enjoy their lives.

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3653
Joined: September 6th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Post by ladislav » July 27th, 2013, 8:47 am

Good infrastructure in all respects -- roads, post office, delivery of things.

The people are reliable in business and generally pretty ethical. They do what they say.

Freedom of speech and lots of civil, religious and political liberties.

Knowledgeable, friendly and efficient service personnel. They know what they are doing and they do it fast. The Anglo Saxon/Germanic work ethics is what really makes the country go around.

Availability of things. Even in smaller towns, everything is available. Or can be delivered to in 24 hours.

Pretty decent cable and internet. You can live in a slum and have state of the art electronic services.

Easy credit and no debt prisons-- you just declare bankruptcy.
Some people call it slavery, but I disagree. It depends on how you use it. If you leverage it properly, you can do great things. I can't even count the times when credit helped me. Basically, the 1st part of my life was built on credit and I did quite well. It's so hard to get credit even in Canada. Here it's one two three and you've got a house and a car on credit.

If you are in debt, you can make all these small monthly payments and renegotiate and defer and roll them over for years and years.

Citizenship- while not the best to have but it opens up so many doors in Saudi in Dubai in Japan, etc.
Has any also noticed how Americans don't want to connect with each other but will treat foreigners better than their own country men?Even though these foreigners really could not give a shit about Americans despite the fact they are living in America using our infrastructure,taking jobs and some times even receive well fare thanks to the U.S. tax payer
Only non-white foreigners because of guilt and PC indoctrination. And it's condescension--deep inside they don't like them but they are trained to be nice in thier face. Because if you don't

Image



If you are a white foreigner, you will be treated like anyone else. Meaning- like cr.ap.
So more people follow the laws here in America? Could you expand on that?
The threat of extremely long prison sentences coupled with homosexual rape keep people in line.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

mguy
Junior Poster
Posts: 749
Joined: November 24th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Re: What is the best thing about living in America?

Post by mguy » July 27th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Temprano26 wrote:I know we all post here because we are disenchanted with modern American society and I am too but America does still have its benefits. It is a great place to start a career in massage therapy for example and I take the train almost every day to be there. It is a great corporation but not a country of unified human beings. I often see immigrants from the Middle East that speak to nobody except their own race in their own language and indirectly alienating anyone else. Many of them don't like white people in general and cannot look us in the eye but they will milk America for all that it is worth to them. Foreigners don't want to connect with us and neither do Americans want to connect with each other. I cannot count how many times I have gone out and people just wanted to ask for a cigarette lighter and then turn their backs on me. Most relationships are shallow and business-related.

I take a train to massage class because this is my way to get out of America and to find real relationships. America is a damn good business with not much that is sacred. We are statistics and expendable business commodities. For a long stretch of time I kept searching online for a job and the only calls I got were from scam artists. The problem with America is that when the economy started going sour we didn't have much culture or anything else to lift our spirits. I was talking to a woman at a restaurant one night and she said "when times get bad Americans treat each other like shit" and it has been true for some time. To be fair though, there are some well-meaning people here too and people who are very good at their jobs but we cannot know them much deeper than that. I have gotten used to being lonely and using my intellectual abilities to make myself happy because I have always felt very alone here. I have always felt no one will come to my defense in my struggles and so I do not create battles with people. I have to develop my own character because nothing happens to me personally anymore.

So the best thing about America is that it is pro-consumer and we have what we need materially. We are not consumers however and we need something deeper.
Massage therapy is a great sub-culture that is free of the mainstream and full of people dedicated to compassion. Nobody in massage is taught to be mean and judgmental to people who are in pain. Oddballs are embraced for their eccentricities rather than scorned.

Throughout life I have had to shun mainstream America and find better people in the marginalized cultures. It is just sad that we have to search so hard for down-to-earth people.
OP,

Bro are you going to be a massage therapist? One of the reason Im going to Asia is bc I can get massage for $5 an hour.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?


Hero
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 9:19 pm

Post by Hero » July 27th, 2013, 8:02 pm

The money. Absolutely, the money.

skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil
Contact:

Re: What is the best thing about living in America?

Post by skateboardstephen » July 27th, 2013, 9:21 pm

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
skateboardstephen wrote:....Or i remember some times when i talk to Brazilian men in the U.S...who where just a minute ago speaking in Portuguese with other Brazilians ignoring me but when i chime in they all the sudden want to switch to horrible broken English.

Has any also noticed how Americans don't want to connect with each other but will treat foreigners better than their own country men?Even though these foreigners really could not give a shit about Americans despite the fact they are living in America using our infrastructure,taking jobs and some times even receive well fare thanks to the U.S. tax payer
See, this is why you need to kill yourself.....because you say taboo s.hit about race that most are too stupid or too much in denial to speak about. LOL jajajajaa (just kidding, dude) ...But seriously though, per bold, you are right to a T: Americans are nice to foreigners but don't want to speak the foreign language due to pompousness and s.hit.
Furthemore, I thought you said only Spanish-speaking Latinos do that s.hit (when it comes to speaking in horrible broken English when you had chimed in in perfect Porto).
Foreigners in general are guiltily of alienating Americans for no reason...i can understand that one relates more to some one with a similar culture..but these people act as if Americans have a disease or something and they live in America...I am quite respectful of the locals in Brazil and speak to them(in their language) when i see them even though i don't like everything they do.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2517
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am

Re: What is the best thing about living in America?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » July 28th, 2013, 12:24 am

skateboardstephen wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
skateboardstephen wrote:....Or i remember some times when i talk to Brazilian men in the U.S...who where just a minute ago speaking in Portuguese with other Brazilians ignoring me but when i chime in they all the sudden want to switch to horrible broken English.

Has any also noticed how Americans don't want to connect with each other but will treat foreigners better than their own country men?Even though these foreigners really could not give a shit about Americans despite the fact they are living in America using our infrastructure,taking jobs and some times even receive well fare thanks to the U.S. tax payer
See, this is why you need to kill yourself.....because you say taboo s.hit about race that most are too stupid or too much in denial to speak about. LOL jajajajaa (just kidding, dude) ...But seriously though, per bold, you are right to a T: Americans are nice to foreigners but don't want to speak the foreign language due to pompousness and s.hit.
Furthemore, I thought you said only Spanish-speaking Latinos do that s.hit (when it comes to speaking in horrible broken English when you had chimed in in perfect Porto).
Foreigners in general are guiltily of alienating Americans for no reason...i can understand that one relates more to some one with a similar culture..but these people act as if Americans have a disease or something and they live in America...I am quite respectful of the locals in Brazil and speak to them(in their language) when i see them even though i don't like everything they do.
True true.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Rants and Raves”