Eurasian woman rants about America

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

Eurasian woman rants about America

Post by Winston »

From an email I received. She is half white and half asian, and wanted me to find a place in my site or ebook to post it.

"Hello. I came across your article while researching what immigrants and foreigners say about Americans. Your comments, as well as the others, hit the nail on the head. Living abroad for most of my life in Japan and Korea with a Korean mother, I was like a foreigner when I came to the States for college (I really should have been incorporated into the international student section more but since I have a US passport the school didn't). I was appalled with how preoccupied Americans are about obtaining "stuff" that they haven't even worked for, but they think it's okay to dream about and pursue when they could do so much more with that money than spend it on themselves

I'm still living in the States and I'm unsure of where I'll be after I graduate from college, but these four years of living in the States have been liberating and incarcerating at the same time. Coming from a repressive and conforming society such as Korea (especially for women) as well as being away from my parents, I got to develop a personality and worldview that were free from their influences which I do not regret. To be honest, many of the comment about "consumerism, selfishness, and greed" are all part of developed nations and human nature, but the States tends to exhibit these three vices to a whole new level.

Never before have I seen so much marketing saturation. I'm f-ing sick of ads for sales, car insurance, sales, etc. At least when I was in Korea, I could just turn my TV off (I rarely watch tv anyway) and relax for a while. Not here in the States-marketing has made people think that they can't live without this product, without going to this sale, without going to this event. People subscribe to newsletters, text message alerts, facebook, twitter, radio (both online and in the car!) and phone calls, all to receive the latest news on items they do not need. People here have been conditioned to believe that if there's a sale, they HAVE to get the item at that sale, or it might not be there again! Embrace the moment, and have a crying empty wallet at the end, and over half of your purchases in the donation bin a month later...if you decide to clean your overflowing closet out! So many of my roommates (who were all American) had SO MUCH STUFF. Not having a house in the States made me realize how little I actually needed to survive, because I had to be able to stuff all of my things that I owe (winter clothes and all!) into a sedan. A person doesn't need much, but Americans seem to freak once their comforts have been pulled from under them. Running water, electricity, hot meals, a car, their more than numerous clothes (I had a roommate who had 20 pairs of jeans. 20. NOBODY needs that much unless one of your hobbies is acting and need different outfits! And even if you do, don't bring all of them to a small college dorm room that has to stuff three people and their things! It's very inconsiderate and selfish) and emotional support. Now my situation is more drastic than many peoples', but it proves how much a human needs to survive.

In regards to selfishness, the degree of it tended to increase the more "individualistic" a person's background was. For example, I had friends from the southern States that would do many things for me and be very gracious in a heartbeat, while my friends from the northeastern and northwestern states as well as those from the bigger cities tended to be more "I'll do it myself and you should develop that mindset too". It's more of a "I'm not responsible for anything of yours" mindset. It's true-nobody is responsible for your actions and for you, but as human beings, it would be nice to lend a hand every once in a while, disregarding responsibility. A person's responsibility to those around him or her is to be as much of a support instead of a burden to his or her fellow human beings. The other day, I was carrying groceries back from a supermarket on the subway since living in the city, I do not have a car. I asked a metro worker to help me as I was fumbling to get my subway pass out of my purse, but he said "I'm not responsible for your stuff. Just put it down, touch your card to the reader, and walk through." He was doing nothing; just standing and barely keeping watch. My faith in city people and humanity would have been given brownie points if he had helped me, but he shares the view of many of the people who live in big metropolitan areas.

Greed consumes the majority of Americans. They live to work, and the money they earn goes toward their selfish desires (hopefully after the necessities of life have been paid for). And most of those desires aren't meant to be shared with anybody. It's difficult for them to make the world a better place and think about how to help others because many Americans don't take the time to know those around them-their lives, families, needs, and desires. One of the most difficult challenges I have had while being in the States has been making friends. Not enough people share my interests in more than the latest fad (heh...Hunger Games I guess? The Capitol people are the perfect warning to what our society is becoming), obsession with outward beauty, and ability to talk about world events. Nearly nobody, during my time being here, unless it's their job, has asked me what my dreams, desires, needs, etc. were; but they were more than happy to tell me about theirs. Most Americans have no problem talking about them, them, them, because that's all they've been taught to think about. THEMSELVES. That's why so many are lonely and depressed for human emotional connection, what other nations in the world seem to have gotten down.

This is long. If you have any feedback on my comments, I would love to hear it! If you're able to find a place for these long comments in your article, please let me know and email me back with the link!

Nara"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Tell her to move to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia or any another Southeast Asian country--if she hates American and Korea so much. Asia is such a diverse continent--they are literally dozens of places for everyone to find a country to live in. Think about it! Look how many different places they are in in the Asian region: Bali, Singapore, Japan, China, Taiwan, Nepal, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Laos, etc. I would even include Australia and New Zealand to the list since they're Western countries with a lot of Asian influences.
tribbsj
Freshman Poster

wonderful

Post by tribbsj »

Great essay.

You wonder why in college courses and in the humanities more emphasis isn't made on how idiotic American culture is. They don't want to turn the mirror back on themselves.
ManInSiam
Freshman Poster

Post by ManInSiam »

delete
Last edited by ManInSiam on May 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Yep...that sums up most western women and MANY western men as well.

It is a good essay...I might even copy it to my CAF site.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

She is 100% correct on everything.

As for the train employee, I just wish there would be more of these people to assist others. Truly sick and sad society we live in.
ManInSiam
Freshman Poster

Post by ManInSiam »

delete
topcat66
Freshman Poster

Post by topcat66 »

Don't focus on the negative. Americans are the most compassionate and generous people on Earth. How much did Korea give to the Haiti relief effort? How about China, or Russia? You should take an overall view of something before trashing it. Yes, Americans are materialistic and spoiled, but there are some great things about this country's people. I believe you must agree, or I suspect you would not still be here. BTW, great picture :wink:
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Ha!

The US government donated shitloads of money into Haiti, because they wanna take over after most(or all) of the Haitians die off. Most people are too stupid to wonder WHY any country needs millions of dollars from foreigners to stand back up. They don't!

Have you guys seen what Haiti looks like STILL? People are STILL suffering. People are STILL dying. Money isn't being used to rebuild or help the indigenous. It's being kept until the time they all die or get moved off, in which the elite will rebuild without them.