Rock, outrageous claims by my Filipino American friend! LOL

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Rock, do u believe such unusual claims by my Fil-Am frie

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:
momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: - He claimed to come up with a brilliant business plan based on a computer formula he devised for a profitable grocery store business, using data from established grocery stores making a ton of money. But he lacked the investment money, so he asked me and Ladislav if we were interested in becoming his business partner by investing 7 or 8 thousand dollars. He said that the formula guaranteed that profit would start coming in 6 months after the grocery store opened.
That is a red flag right there.
It is a red flag. But I don't think he befriended me for money. He knew from the start that I was on a budget and did not have a ton of cash to part with, and that I was frugal and efficient in the way I spent.
Plus, after we declined getting involved, he still remained friends with me and still liked to hang out. So I don't think that he befriended me just to try to scam money out of me.
I just don't see the logic behind all his numerous far fetched claims. People don't make sense. That's what bothers me. Why can't everyone be logical?
Momopi, is it really that easy? I mean, can someone just invest 10k USD to start up a grocery store, then wait a while and bask in residual dough flowing in every month? Is it that easy and simple? What is your professional opinion on that?

My first job at age 16 was working for Diho grocery store in Cerritos. So he figured out a system huh? Does he have experience operating a grocery store? Managing the produce department? Point of sale systems for the cashier? Establishing relationship with suppliers? Know how to shop for fresh seafood? What kind of dry goods does he intend to carry? Will the market have an on-site bakery? What kind of advertising will he use? What items will he use as loss-leaders? ;p

Easy? Ha, ha, HA. The grocery business is one of the competitive with the lowest margins. Good luck!
Last edited by momopi on May 16th, 2011, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:
momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: - He claimed to come up with a brilliant business plan based on a computer formula he devised for a profitable grocery store business, using data from established grocery stores making a ton of money. But he lacked the investment money, so he asked me and Ladislav if we were interested in becoming his business partner by investing 7 or 8 thousand dollars. He said that the formula guaranteed that profit would start coming in 6 months after the grocery store opened.
That is a red flag right there.
It is a red flag. But I don't think he befriended me for money. He knew from the start that I was on a budget and did not have a ton of cash to part with, and that I was frugal and efficient in the way I spent.
Plus, after we declined getting involved, he still remained friends with me and still liked to hang out. So I don't think that he befriended me just to try to scam money out of me.
I just don't see the logic behind all his numerous far fetched claims. People don't make sense. That's what bothers me. Why can't everyone be logical?
Momopi, is it really that easy? I mean, can someone just invest 10k USD to start up a grocery store, then wait a while and bask in residual dough flowing in every month? Is it that easy and simple? What is your professional opinion on that?

My first job at age 16 was working for Diho grocery store in Cerritos. So he figured out a system huh? Does he have experience operating a grocery store? Managing the produce department? Point of sale systems for the cashier? Establishing relationships with suppliers? How to shop for fresh seafood? What kind of dry goods does he intend to carry? Will the market have an on-site bakery? What kind of advertising will he use? What items will he use as loss-leaders? ;p

Easy? Ha, ha, HA. The grocery business is one of the competitive with the lowest margins. Good luck!
In the small town I'm from in Illinois, we have one main grocery store which has dominated the local market for over 100 years. Over the decades, chains and small operators have come-in and tried to grab a piece of the action. But they generally haven't survived more a few years. Long ago, the incumbent owners of this grocery store become the richest family in town and the business continues to generate tons of cash on a daily basis.

Winston, your friend is a complete clown. How can you not see that? He is entertainment value, nothing more.
swincor
Freshman Poster

Post by swincor »

Rock wrote: Winston, your friend is a complete clown. How can you not see that? He is entertainment value, nothing more.

Well, you know the old saying: "Birds of a feather..."
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston, I got the email you sent with 3 photos of this guy sitting with bar girl. Here's my impression:

- He looks presentable in the photos, decent and youthful looking SE Asian American. As long as he is not too short (or maybe that doesn't matter so much there), I wouldn't be surprised if he did have some good success with local non P4P girls, especially if he speaks Tagalog. In the right clothing, he could probably pass for the up-and-coming type in Makati.

- To get a better sense of his character flaws, I would need to observe him in animation and get a read on subtleties of his body language and speaking style.

- Insecure braggarts come in all shapes and sizes. So do scam artists. In fact, some of the most dangerous cons look like very successful business men. The finance industry is full of such types. And some come to SE Asia. In Bangkok, I've seen well dressed westerners who work the phones for such types. Don't give this guy a dime for anything.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

This is funny. "I will send you a picture of this guy so you can read his vibes." I am a gangster convict, according to you, Winston. How is a picture going to tell you about someone? I take your "wisdom" with a grain of salt. This is another thread you made that is ironic in nature. You just need to stop with this crapola, man.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote: How am I supposed to remember his name? We only talked to him for a few minutes. He was either white or middle eastern. Just an average looking guy. But not that big African guy that looked like a bouncer. You're the one who asked him, "You don't have any trouble getting laid here do you?" not me. Why would I remember a random dufus like that?
Why would you, as a reaction, write someone off as a "random dufus" even though you probably don't know that person at all? This is especially true if you exchanged pleasantries and the guy is polite. That seems to be a very negative frame to carry into any interaction. It seems like you go into meeting people with a stand offish mindset already and are prejudging them as a kneejerk response. Then when they appear/act a certain way it's a confirmation bias for you.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock and others,

Here are some photos of that Filipino American guy I told you about in the first post who made those pompous claims. These photos are from when we went bar hopping together. What do you think? Does he look like a no-nonsense tell it like it is type of guy? lol

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Rock, extraordinary claims by my Filipino American frien

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote: - He claims to co-own some thriving business consulting services in Manila. Yet when he gave me the websites of two of them, I checked them but could not find his name anywhere on the sites, including their staff pages. However, the staff in those small companies do seem to know him, but won't comment about him for some reason. Very odd.
By the way, here are the websites of the two businesses that he claims to own. I can't find any evidence on them that he owns them though. What do you think?

http://www.thebposolutions.com
http://www.avisotechnologies.com
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

billy wrote:Winston, doesn´t he have business cards with his name and positon in
the firm?

Why doesn´t he show evidence? This is a BIG red flag.

The one in the 2nd 3rd photo from which country is she from? She looks like an turkish, russion, chinese mix. Very fine.
Those are bar girls from Angeles City, Philippines. Anyone can make up a business card. But the sites don't have his name on them. But even if they did, anyone can put up a site like that. Plus those sites have no traffic given their Alexa rank. They are just useless sites with no significance or activity, created by some wannabee I guess.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

billy wrote:Why don´t you ask him, who was his former clients or employers?
So you can ask them wheather he was good or not.
He would just keep it vague and brag. Besides, he doesn't talk to me anymore. He got mad at me after he found out that I was checking up on him. When I told him that his claims didn't check out, he didn't even bother to try to defend himself. He just went silent.

Billy, did you see the list of extraordinary claims he made that I listed in the first post? What did you think of them? lol

Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

How could you even bear to listen to this guy for hours? I would have told them straight out that I know he's a liar and full of shit and then dare him to take offense.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote:Rock and others,

Here are some photos of that Filipino American guy I told you about in the first post who made those pompous claims. These photos are from when we went bar hopping together. What do you think? Does he look like a no-nonsense tell it like it is type of guy? lol
Just from his expression he looks rather smug. I know a filipino guy here who wears that same exact expression and guess what? He's a douchebag. :lol:

I don't find Filipinos to be very difficult to read at all. They are usually pretty transparent because they just aren't very complex people in what they desire in life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock,
LOL. Here is another guy who makes a splurge of outrageous claims, William Two Feather, that guy I told you about. LOL

Here is a 14 minute interview with him in Europe about his life and mission as a healer and spiritual teacher. In it, he claims to have been in the Marine Corps Special Forces, holds a 4th degree black belt in Kung Fu (lol as far as I know, there are no "ranking belts" in Kung Fu lol), is the current title holder of the US knife fighting championship, has been in 200 street fights and bar brawls, was a star athlete in high school, and was an academic scholar. lol Wow, that's a lot of amazing accomplishments. lol I wonder if the interviewer really believed all that? lol Is there really an official tournament in the USA where the contestants fight with knives? lol WTF?! That's highly improbable, unless he's referring to some underground tournament. How would one win such a tournament? By stabbing his opponent to death? lol Wouldn't they need paramedics on hand to bring whoever loses each round to the ER? lol How would such a thing be legal in the USA, the land of lawsuits? lol

What do you think Rock? LOL. Do you believe these claims? LOL

Capster78
Freshman Poster

Re: Rock, outrageous claims by my Filipino American friend!

Post by Capster78 »

Winston wrote:Dear Rock,
You seem to have a tendency to believe whatever any random guy tells you. For example, when you walked up to that guy at the nightclub and asked "You have no trouble getting laid in Taiwan right?" and assumed whatever answer came forth must be the objective truth... If you remember, he hesitated and looked taken aback for a few seconds and then said, "No no" in a polite tone (without conviction). I mean what do you expect a stranger to say to a question like that?

So anyway, I wanted to know if you believe these fantastic unusual far out claims below by my Filipino American friend.

- He claims that his ex-wife came from the family that owns the SM Malls in the Philippines (such as the big mall you went to in Angeles). In spite of that, when she left him, she stole $20,000 USD in cash from him by taking it out of a briefcase or safe that he stored it in under his mattress, leaving him broke in the Philippines. (Now why would a girl from an upper class family steal? And why would any guy put $20k in cash under his bed instead of in the bank? He never explained that. But if this story isn't true, then why would he say it? For what purpose?)
Also, he says that her family expected him to send them money, cause no matter how rich they were, there is a Filipino tradition that young couples ought to give their earnings to their elders, even in upper class families. (Somehow, I doubt that.)
This is very true! This is why many filipino's go work abroad so they can send money home. Once you are about 50+ in the PI it is determined that you are to old to work. So you usually live with your children and stay home to take care of their children while you work abroad to send money home. Many filipino families live this way with one or a few more members working overseas while the rest live in one house supported by them back home.
- He claims to have had a raunchy horny Taiwanese girlfriend in America. And also (get this), he slept with her sister too. She had the hots for him and wanted to have sex with him, even though he was dating her sister. (I'm sure Taiwanese women think nothing of sleeping with their sister's boyfriends, since they have no respect for their sisters, in spite of their religiously rock solid family values...) Somehow, girls always get horny around him suddenly...

- He claims to have made $15,000 a month at a job in the US as a car dealership sales manager, just like that, with no qualifications or prior experience. Money and women always fall into his lap like mana from heaven, it seems.

- When I said that my braces cost my family $2,000 dollars, he replied, "Oh that's nothing. Mine cost $10,000 dollars." (Uh huh, and mine cost $100,000 dollars, just cause I say so.)

- He claims to co-own some thriving business consulting services in Manila. Yet when he gave me the websites of two of them, I checked them but could not find his name anywhere on the sites, including their staff pages. However, the staff in those small companies do seem to know him, but won't comment about him for some reason. Very odd.

- He also claims to make small business deals that net him an extra $500 a month, as though it were a routine, and says it is a small amount to him. And he lives in a 17,000p a month condo in Ortigas that has a view of a golf course. (Gee I wonder how he affords that)

- He said that call center girls in Manila are real horny, and have sex with him during their lunch break in the back of his car. He also picks up girls in Manila's clubs (regular girls) and has threesomes with them. Again, girls always get horny around him...

- He claimed to be a professional web designer and web consultant. But when I asked him what he could do to improve my website and what services he could offer, his response was, "I can do anything you want. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend..." Come on now! Is that how a serious professional talks or answers inquiries? Is that the way to appease clients or instill confidence in them? Does any experienced credible business professional talk like that? If he's a real web professional, then why doesn't he demonstrate some real knowledge of the industry or field, instead of talking like that?

Also, when Ladislav asked him what he would charge to design a home page like my Happier Abroad home page, he casually said, "About 15,000p or $300". Now, my home page cannot possibly cost that much to design, can it?

(Btw, Ladislav did not notice anything unusual about him. But then again, Ladislav admits that he is not good at BS detection and cannot recognize phoniness in others. Mr S is far better at that.)

- He claimed to come up with a brilliant business plan based on a computer formula he devised for a profitable grocery store business, using data from established grocery stores making a ton of money. But he lacked the investment money, so he asked me and Ladislav if we were interested in becoming his business partner by investing 7 or 8 thousand dollars. He said that the formula guaranteed that profit would start coming in 6 months after the grocery store opened.

Needless to say, we never took it seriously of course. Ladislav explained that he had bad luck in the past with such ventures, which usually ended up with everyone blaming the other business partner and no one taking responsibility for the failures. Thus he's been burned too many times, so he would want some kind of guarantee or safety net or protection in such a venture. But my friend couldn't provide one.

The point is though, WHY would he expect someone to shell out 7 or 8 thousand dollars to invest in his scheme, when he has NO proven track record of running any kind of successful business??? In fact, he has no references, track record or past history of any kind that I can investigate! Nor did he offer any! In fact, a Google search for his name turns up NOTHING related to him. So why would I trust him and risk a ton of money, just because he says so??? Does he even live in reality or have common sense???

It makes NO FRICKIN SENSE and is an insult to my intelligence! What kind of logic is that??? Can anyone explain?!

Furthermore, business is a risky and complicated thing. You can't just invest 7 or 8 thousand dollars, follow a formula, and then expect automatic profits to flow in steadily, just like that. Reality isn't like that. It's a lot more complicated than that. Come on now. If it were that simple, everyone would do that. What could go wrong???

Conclusion:

In spite of all these claims, he hasn't got a shred of proof to back any of them up. He is all "big talk, but no proof." Yet he expects me to believe whatever he says just cause we're friends and we hang out. Excuse me, but trust has to be EARNED, it's not a free gift. Same with credibility. Credibility has to be PROVEN. It is not something you automatically give to your friends for no reason. Just because someone hangs out with you doesn't mean they are automatically credible. That makes no sense. To be credible, you have to have a track record of some sort, or third party references, or evidence to back up your claims. Credibility is not a free gift. That's not logical or realistic. Yet he expects me to put loyalty above truth and logic, and believe whatever he claims, just because.

What do you think of that? Rock, I know you like to give guys the benefit of the doubt, but do you find all these claims believable, even for you?

My girlfriend said that there was a phoniness in the way he talked when he bragged about his life, and that he acted like a "big talker". There was something "unreal" about him, but it was hard to pin it down.

However, Ladislav didn't notice this for some reason, even after talking to him for several hours. But then again, Ladislav admits that BS detection is not one of his strong suits. But Mr S is a total natural when it comes to BS detection. He can size up a guy accurately after just one minute. I've seen it. He can smell BS like a dog following a scent.

Why would a guy make these far out claims to another guy? What for? There's nothing to gain from it. It's not logical. I don't understand why so many guys (30 to 50 percent of American guys in my experience) like to claim that money and women fall into their lap like mana from heaven. It doesn't make sense. Yet most American guys do that, and most of them have no proof to back up their claims. Why?

It seems that many guys like to portray that they are living in a world where "big money comes easily to them, and women are always horny around them..." Uh huh...

And you buy that Rock??? Tell me. How come you are never critical or skeptical of guys' claims?

Ladislav, Mr S, Momopi, what's your take?
However, the rest of this sounds like the work of someone trying to con you out of $8K.
Married to a sweet Filipina girl an never looking back!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Perhaps this explains the kind of person he is? lol

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_t ... gical_liar

How can you tell if someone is a pathological liar?
In: Mental Health, Narcissism, Sociopathy (Psychopathy)

Answer:

Pathological liars - or "mythomaniacs" - may be suffering from histrionic personality disorder or narcissistic personality disorder. The following comments basically reflect a pathological liar who has the characteristics of histrionic personality disorder.

Some Characteristics:

Exaggerates things that are ridiculous.
One-upping. Whatever you do, this person can do it better. You will never top them in their own mind, because they have a concerted need to be better than everyone else. This also applies to being right. If you try to confront an individual like this, no matter how lovingly and well-intentioned you might be - this will probably not be effective. It's threatening their fantasy of themselves, so they would rather argue with you and bring out the sharp knives than admit that there's anything wrong with them.
They "construct" a reality around themselves. They don't value the truth, especially if they don't see it as hurting anyone. If you call them on a lie and they are backed into a corner, they will act very defensively and say ugly things (most likely but depends on personality), but they may eventually start to act like, "Well, what's the difference? You're making a big deal out of nothing!" (again, to refocus the conversation to your wrongdoing instead of theirs).
Because these people don't value honesty, a lot of times they will not value loyalty. So watch what you tell them. They will not only tell others, but they will embellish to make you look worse. Their loyalty is fleeting, and because they are insecure people, they will find solace in confiding to whomever is in their favor at the moment.
They may be somewhat of a hypochondriac. This can come in especially useful when caught in a lie, for example, they can claim that they have been sick, or that there's some mysteriously "illness" that has them all stressed out. It's another excuse tool for their behavior.
Obviously, they will contradict what they say. This will become very clear over time. They usually aren't smart enough to keep track of so many lies (who would be?).

Another WikiAnswers contributor adds:

They lie about even the smallest things. For example, saying "I brushed my teeth today," when they didn't.
They add exaggerations to every sentence.
They change their story all the time.
They act very defensively when you question their statements.
They believe what they say is true, when everyone else knows it isn't.

An alternate 'checklist':

Lies when it is very easy to tell the truth.
Lies to get sympathy, to look better, to save their butt, etc.
Fools people at first but once they get to know him, no one believes anything they ever say.
May have a personality disorder.
Extremely manipulative.
Has been caught in lies repeatedly.
Never fesses up to the lies.
Is a legend in their own mind.

More opinions and input from WikiAnswers contributors:

I have found a few differences in pathological liar and a "slime ball" liar. Pathological liars cannot tell that they are lying; they actually believe the lie as soon as it comes out of their mouth. They lie about unimportant things that don't really matter to anyone. This can be caused by mental defect but isn't always. Slime-ball liars lie about things that make them look better or embellish to get attention. They also lie to keep their butts out of trouble and to get what they want.

Here are things to ask yourself: How could this many things happen to one person? Would believe these stories if someone else told you? Think back to the beginning: you had red flags and alarms going off in you head. Learn to trust your instincts.

It is very hard to tell when one is a pathological liar. Some people just are liars and lie to lie because they can and they don't care about getting caught and aware that you know they have lied. These people care not about lying, it's no big deal. It's like "ok, so what? I lied". The pathological liar on the other hand, IS aware that they are lying BUT will go to extremes to make you believe that they are truthful. They appear to believe their own lies BUT in truth, they know their lies are just that, lies. But because their efforts are constantly backing up their lies, it appears to us that they actually believe their lies, when we eventually do find out about them and then we tend to feel sorry for these people. Then they have an excuse, "I am sick, I don't know why I lie, I believed what I was saying etc." The only truth was the fact that they don't know why they lie. Other than that it's crap. It is true that most of them have an extremely low sense of self worth and are continuously trying to make themselves feel better about THEMSELVES and this is one reason they lie. It is about them but the lies are not always set up with the purpose to hurt some one else; it's that these people feel so low about themselves they need to create ANYTHING different from the ugly reality they feel about themselves so they lie about even the most tiniest little thing. The people closest to them get sucked into these lies which sometimes start as something very trivial and then turn into something that can turn everyone involved worlds upside down and inside out.

Unmasking the pathological liar is an easier task when the pathological liar is no more than a casual acquaintence to the "un-masker." Close relationships provide camouflage for the pathological liar, and intimacy provides a heavily-fortressed breeding ground.

Other indicators: 1) Rage attacks after they realize you're questioning their lies. 2) Distraction techniques, e.g. hanging up the phone when you catch them in lie, playing word games, or even just running out of the room. After using the distraction technique, or rage attack, or sometimes both, they will pretend that nothing ever happened. They re-write history, so it never did happen in their minds. Normal people do it too, but these people take it to the extreme.

From "Go Ask Alice": Lies are unplanned and impulsive. Behavior is repeated over a long period of time. Lies don't seem to exist for any external reason. Behavior may not always be a conscious act. Lies are admitted, changed, and/or adapted if a false story is challenged.

From Andrea Broadbent "The Truth about Truman": To begin, the definition of pathological actually means abnormal or grossly atypical. Therefore, a pathological liar prevaricates more frequently than the average person or tells more abnormal lies. In most cases, pathological liars tell lies that are "unplanned and impulsive" (Hausman). These lies are usually very emotional stories that tend to serve no purpose except to impress people (Ford 133). As of now, psychiatrists are unsure whether or not pathological liars are fully capable of realizing if and when they are lying, so detecting whether or not a person is a pathological liar is a very difficult task (Hausman). By looking at the list of conditions commonly connected with people considered to be pathological liars, psychiatrists are better able to determine whether or not a person might actually have the disorder. Some main qualities linked with pathological liars include dysfunctional family origin, family lying patterns, anomalies of sexual life, frequent substance abuse, and a great capacity for language.
From Raymond Lloyd Richmond, Ph.D. "Psychological Honesty": Even a pathological liar carries deep in his heart a desire for goodness and honesty and yet, because of painful emotional wounds, believes that the world never has, and never will, recognize his pain. And so, to hide that pain from himself, he uses all the lies he can concoct to hurl at the world as he runs in fear from his own goodness.
For me, the first indication has been that I hear them tell different things to different people and they can't all be right, because they directly contradict each other! And I am able to prove it. If you can prove over and over again that things someone is telling you are outright false, then you have a pathological liar on your hands.
With the Internet, it is now easier than ever to "fact-check" even the most mundane things. I think pathological liars often lose track of the lies they tell different people and it will eventually catch up with them.