Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

MatureDJ
Freshman Poster
Posts: 420
Joined: January 7th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by MatureDJ » April 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

I'm sure that his platform of Guaranteed Income means he has Winston's vote, even if he weren't a Chinaman, LOL.

User avatar
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2444
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » April 20th, 2019, 12:16 am

MatureDJ wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm
I'm sure that his platform of Guaranteed Income means he has Winston's vote, even if he weren't a Chinaman, LOL.
Such an incendiary topic. @zboy1, Accordian Andy...all the Asian posters where are you guys???
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
- Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4890
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by momopi » June 19th, 2019, 2:56 am

I think I'll order his book first.


User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3268
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » June 19th, 2019, 9:47 am

In short, no. Yang is not a particularly attractive or charismatic Asian man which makes his overall appeal to women very limited. Now if he looked like the lead male character in the movie Crazy Rich Asians, I would feel differently.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7316
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Cornfed » June 19th, 2019, 12:25 pm

No /thread.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4890
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by momopi » June 19th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:47 am
In short, no. Yang is not a particularly attractive or charismatic Asian man which makes his overall appeal to women very limited. Now if he looked like the lead male character in the movie Crazy Rich Asians, I would feel differently.
If he was elected President, it would improve AA image overall. But in terms of improving AA male sexual market value, I think the popularity of groups like BTS contributed more (specific to metrosexual market). BTS is lucky that they came to the scene now. Less than a decade ago the "establishment" was still quite hostile to Asian competition, for example Far East Movements "Like a G6" was so popular that it attracted a lot of negative attention from established White/Black hip hop guys. Same with Jeremy Lin when he first appeared in NBA.

Up until recently the Korean drama market in the US was still limited to niche providers like Viki and Dramafever. As it gained popularity, Dramafever folded last year because they couldn't compete against Netflix that was bidding $1 million to license shows from Korea. We've also seen BTS and Blackpink on mainstream US TV shows and live performances at Coachella I went to BTS concert this year at LA Staples center and there were quite a few non Asian girls there, including 2 blondes to my right. They sold 60,000 concert tickets and the place was packed, unlike Blackpink concert where I spotted a few empty seats.

Just 20 years ago J drama and J pop dominated the Asian scene. Today the Koreans have far surpassed them. At Anime Matsuri convention in Houston, they invited Kpop group "Apink" instead of Japanese group to perform at an Anime convention last week. China, HK, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, etc. all send trainee to Korea. Lisa of Blackpink is Thai, Tzuyu of Twice is Taiwanese, Momo of Twice is Japanese, Meiqi of WJSN is from China, and Elkie of CLC is from HK. From training in Korea and brining the results back to their home countries, it has also raised the quality of many music videos and dramas across Asia. For example if we look at Meiqi's latest Chinese music video, it's far superior in production/choreography quality than what was made in China a decade ago:



And the market in China responded by purchasing over 1 million downloads in 1 hour:
https://www.koreaboo.com/news/wjsns-mei ... -one-hour/

User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3268
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » June 19th, 2019, 11:30 pm

momopi wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 10:48 pm
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:47 am
In short, no. Yang is not a particularly attractive or charismatic Asian man which makes his overall appeal to women very limited. Now if he looked like the lead male character in the movie Crazy Rich Asians, I would feel differently.
If he was elected President, it would improve AA image overall. But in terms of improving AA male sexual market value, I think the popularity of groups like BTS contributed more (specific to metrosexual market). BTS is lucky that they came to the scene now. Less than a decade ago the "establishment" was still quite hostile to Asian competition, for example Far East Movements "Like a G6" was so popular that it attracted a lot of negative attention from established White/Black hip hop guys. Same with Jeremy Lin when he first appeared in NBA.

Up until recently the Korean drama market in the US was still limited to niche providers like Viki and Dramafever. As it gained popularity, Dramafever folded last year because they couldn't compete against Netflix that was bidding $1 million to license shows from Korea. We've also seen BTS and Blackpink on mainstream US TV shows and live performances at Coachella I went to BTS concert this year at LA Staples center and there were quite a few non Asian girls there, including 2 blondes to my right. They sold 60,000 concert tickets and the place was packed, unlike Blackpink concert where I spotted a few empty seats.

Just 20 years ago J drama and J pop dominated the Asian scene. Today the Koreans have far surpassed them. At Anime Matsuri convention in Houston, they invited Kpop group "Apink" instead of Japanese group to perform at an Anime convention last week. China, HK, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, etc. all send trainee to Korea. Lisa of Blackpink is Thai, Tzuyu of Twice is Taiwanese, Momo of Twice is Japanese, Meiqi of WJSN is from China, and Elkie of CLC is from HK. From training in Korea and brining the results back to their home countries, it has also raised the quality of many music videos and dramas across Asia. For example if we look at Meiqi's latest Chinese music video, it's far superior in production/choreography quality than what was made in China a decade ago:



And the market in China responded by purchasing over 1 million downloads in 1 hour:
https://www.koreaboo.com/news/wjsns-mei ... -one-hour/
I disagree. Did Barack Obama improve the overall image of black men? No. The fact that Asian men already enjoy the model minority image means that a Yang Presidency might even NEGATIVELY affect the overall image.

Asians themselves are the best image ambassadors, and the fact that they tend toward the insular means that any Asian national figure would not make a dent in their overall appeal.

Granted, I wish more Asians would enter politics since they have the highest average IQ, but this has nothing to do with enhancing their image at all. They just might give better.

But the very question being asked if Yang would make white women like Asian men more is indicative of the fact that Asian men have an extremely low SMV in America. That is a question of desperation more than anything.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4890
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by momopi » June 20th, 2019, 12:10 am

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 11:30 pm
I disagree. Did Barack Obama improve the overall image of black men? No. The fact that Asian men already enjoy the model minority image means that a Yang Presidency might even NEGATIVELY affect the overall image.
Asians themselves are the best image ambassadors, and the fact that they tend toward the insular means that any Asian national figure would not make a dent in their overall appeal.
Granted, I wish more Asians would enter politics since they have the highest average IQ, but this has nothing to do with enhancing their image at all. They just might give better.
But the very question being asked if Yang would make white women like Asian men more is indicative of the fact that Asian men have an extremely low SMV in America. That is a question of desperation more than anything.

Many people simply did not see Obama as black, or thought of him as an Oreo or Hapa. In Taiwan press for example, rarely did they even mention African American heritage. But you are correct that Yang could negatively affect AA image, because everyone would see him as "Asian". If he doesn't do a good job then obviously the AA image may take a hit.

Image
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 5ab1fedd1b

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7316
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Cornfed » June 20th, 2019, 12:32 am

momopi wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:10 am
Many people simply did not see Obama as black, or thought of him as an Oreo or Hapa. In Taiwan press for example, rarely did they even mention African American heritage.
That would make sense as he is not supposed to have any African American heritage.

User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3268
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » June 20th, 2019, 2:23 am

momopi wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:10 am
Many people simply did not see Obama as black, or thought of him as an Oreo or Hapa.
In America, biracial people of partial African ancestry are considered black. But the same argument holds true of “Oreo or hapa” men as you call them. Did Obama make Oreo or Hapa men more attractive to white women? Did he enhance the image of these men in any way? In the United States, the answer is no. That is why Yang would not at all do so for Asian men.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6000
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am
Contact:

Post by Ghost » June 20th, 2019, 3:43 am

.
Last edited by Ghost on July 10th, 2019, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expatriation Ragnarok
Make the most of going abroad while you still can.
Expatriation Ragnarok - Paperback
PM me to become a member of the Happier Abroad Support Network.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4890
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by momopi » June 20th, 2019, 5:39 am

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 2:23 am
momopi wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:10 am
Many people simply did not see Obama as black, or thought of him as an Oreo or Hapa.
In America, biracial people of partial African ancestry are considered black. But the same argument holds true of “Oreo or hapa” men as you call them. Did Obama make Oreo or Hapa men more attractive to white women? Did he enhance the image of these men in any way? In the United States, the answer is no. That is why Yang would not at all do so for Asian men.
This I do not agree with. While it’s true that many biracial individuals with African ancestry identify themselves as black, it’s not always the case or perception from others. For example Meghan Markle identifies herself as biracial, and most do not consider her to be black.

I believe if Yang was elected and did a good job, he would improve the general image of AA since he would most likely be identified as “Asian”. However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the popularity of BTS is better or more likely to improve AA male sexual market value for women who likes metrosexual men. That is, Yang as President would NOT improve AA male sexual market values in US as much as a popular boy band/group from South Korea.

Image

User avatar
Neo
Freshman Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: June 28th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Neo » June 20th, 2019, 7:53 am

Yes, I think for some. Some women who love famous men may seek out some non-famous men who remind them of their favorite celebrities. But I wouldn't necessarily expect a tidal wave.

User avatar
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3268
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 6:57 am

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate » June 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm

momopi wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:39 am
This I do not agree with. While it’s true that many biracial individuals with African ancestry identify themselves as black, it’s not always the case or perception from others. For example Meghan Markle identifies herself as biracial, and most do not consider her to be black.
Well fortunately for us, the world does not work based on what you happen to believe. Meghan Markle could also identify as a man if she so chose. That does not in any way make her a man. The fact is, she is counted as black by the US Census, by the US Department of Labor when she is employed, and by the US Department of Justice if she were ever arrested.

In addition, 90% of Americans would consider her ethnically black despite her racial background just as 90% of Americans consider Obama ethnically black despite his mixed racial parentage. The historical social and legal treatment of biracial people as black and the "One Drop Rule" are the reasons for this.

Moreover, black Americans have, on average, 20% European ancestry yet they consider themselves 100% ethnically African Americans. If you ever visit the United States, try telling random black Americans that they are biracial and see if you live to tell the stories of what happens to you. :lol:

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4890
Joined: September 1st, 2007, 5:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Do you think Andrew Yang running for President will make white woman more interested in Asians?

Post by momopi » June 20th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 12:26 pm
momopi wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:39 am
This I do not agree with. While it’s true that many biracial individuals with African ancestry identify themselves as black, it’s not always the case or perception from others. For example Meghan Markle identifies herself as biracial, and most do not consider her to be black.
Well fortunately for us, the world does not work based on what you happen to believe. Meghan Markle could also identify as a man if she so chose. That does not in any way make her a man. The fact is, she is counted as black by the US Census, by the US Department of Labor when she is employed, and by the US Department of Justice if she were ever arrested.

In addition, 90% of Americans would consider her ethnically black despite her racial background just as 90% of Americans consider Obama ethnically black despite his mixed racial parentage. The historical social and legal treatment of biracial people as black and the "One Drop Rule" are the reasons for this.

Moreover, black Americans have, on average, 20% European ancestry yet they consider themselves 100% ethnically African Americans. If you ever visit the United States, try telling random black Americans that they are biracial and see if you live to tell the stories of what happens to you. :lol:

I think the one drop rule was applied broadly in 20th century. In 1800’s multi racial people were often classified as mulatto in many states, and from year 2000 the US census now allows people to define themselves as multi racial.

The majority of Americans did not view Obama as black (see pew center data cited in previous post), though Obama defined himself as black on census form.

Meghan Markle defines herself as biracial and when she was in school, she refused to check the black or white ethnicity box when multi racial option was not avail. Her teachers told her to check the white box because they thought she looked white. Later, she was able to leverage her “racially ambiguous” identify and appearance for a wide variety of roles in Hollywood.

Meghan Markle does not identify herself as black (or white), nor is she legally classified as black. Since 2000 the US census has allowed for multi racial identity. Having one black parent does not automatically make you “ethnically black” on the census or in perception by others, though you’re free to identify yourself as such.

HOWEVER — I am not disputing that one’s % In racial makeup doesn’t carry legal and financial consequences in certain situations today, such as California Indian reservation membership rules when it comes to getting a cut of Indian casino profits.

Also, here in California census data is used to distribute $77 billion in federal funds annually. So what people put down on their census forms, including racial background, has financial impact on broad range of government and community programs.


Image


Broader acceptance of “biracial” over “mono-racial” identity did not happen overnight. In Hawaii the acceptance care earlier because of high ratio of Hapa population. In Kpop world, back in 2011 Paramount Music debuted “Chocolat” girl group with biracial girls. They were not well received at the time and the girls were told to “look more Korean” which royally screws with young girl’s self image. The group went inactive after couple years and disbanded.

Moving forward to today Nancy of Momoland and Jeon So Mi are obviously biracial, and the audience simply don’t care as much anymore.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Racial, Ethnic and Multicultural Issues”