Someone please give the webmaster of loveme.com....

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Someone please give the webmaster of loveme.com....

Post by jtest28 »

.....some damned brain cells so they have the intelligence to use an image cruncher. This shit is getting ridiculous to browse this forum. You wanted to know what makes loading this forum slow? Its the 300 KB images that, BTW, because they are only being displayed as avatars, only need to be 1 percent that size!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What do you mean? How would they crunch the images in their photo block ads? I'll ask them about it. I know a guy who is in charge of their website.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Theres really just two factors with images; what resolution they are, and the level of "compression". Both effect the end file size. A picture may appear to be only 200 x 300 on a web page, but if you right-click it and copy the URL and paste it into a browser, it will show you the real resolution it is, and I noticed its usually very large, much larger than whats being displayed here. They should have a separate folder where just the low res images are stored, and then another for the higher res images. And use the lower res for websites like this one.

Theres also "compression". An image can be a big file size, even at a lower resolution if it hasn't had any compression used on it. Also, you can compress an image using a small amount of compression and not effect image quality at all, yet still dramatically reduce file size.

So the best thing to do is use a small amount of compression, along with reducing the original resolution down to whats being displayed. The end result will be dramatically reduced file sizes and much faster image loading, and so a faster page loading. Look at this page of mine and you can see I actually used several different image sizes to make it load fast. I didn't just use a giant image and display it at various resolutions with the browser. The original has to be reduced in resolution, not just make it display lower with the browser. Right-click an image and notice the file size. Click on the same image and another new image loads and then right-click on it and notice its a whole different file size again. Now, if I had use the original huge image just to load them as avatars, this page would take ages to load. http://www.jtest28.com/Pictures.html
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Look at this banner. I re did it and it looks the same as whats on here. Now look at the file size. Only slightly more than 8 KB. Look at the original. Its almost ten times the size.

Look at this one. its one of the small ones thats displayed on the side of the screen as 120 X 180. when really the image size is 300 X 450

And it doesn't have much compression, just judging by the file size at that resolution.

Here's the same pic redone and its been reduced by 96% in file size! And look at it. It looks just the same as whats being displayed on the side of the screen here on HA.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks. Well those photo block images are from AFA. I contacted them about it already.

But the banner sizes are normal and not overly large. I need to keep them a little larger so they can be used as either 728x90 or 468x60 sizes.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Well spotted OP. And Winston - Chrome has a developer tools menu and one of the options shows you all the files a page loads. So you can check which bits of the page are slowing the rest down.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

OK. Tip for those with less than super high speed Internet: I switched over to Firefox browser and right-click on one of the offending images and select to ignore all images from that website. Now at least I can browse here again in peace. Its just when it takes almost a minute EVERY time I click on a link.... jeeze