Human Languages and Programming Languages

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Human Languages and Programming Languages

Post by fschmidt »

European languages are like object-oriented and command-oriented languages. The object in object-oriented languages is like the subject in european languages. Commands in european languages have an implied "you" which corresponds to the computer in command-oriented languages. Both european languages and object-oriented and command-oriented languages come in many flavors that don't vary much conceptually.

Japanese is like Forth. In Japanese you pile the nouns onto the stack (with prepositions instead of position for usage) and then apply your verb to the stack.

Hebrew is like Lucene. At least that's the sense I'm getting as I am learning it. There doesn't seem to be much difference between nouns, adjectives, and verbs. They are all just tuple/row/instance/thing attributes. The language is based on specifying the attributes of things and then adding some more attributes to make it a statement. This reminds me of Lucene queries.

That's all I know, but I would be interested in any other comparisons.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Very interesting analogies.

Thanks.

From your descrcriptions:

Seems like Hebrew would be a natural language for poetry.

European languages for complexity and creativity.

Japanese for getting it done like clockwork.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."