Can you use GPS on your smart phone without data connection?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Can you use GPS on your smart phone without data connection?

Post by Winston »

Question: You know those GPS devices everyone uses that runs on satellite? Well can't you do that with your smart phone too? Is there an app that could let you do GPS navigation on your smart phone without WiFi or 3G or a data connection? It should be theoretically possible right?

If so, why would anyone need to spend $100 for a portable GPS if they can just use their smart phone?
Last edited by Winston on December 16th, 2013, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Can you use GPS on your smart phone without data connect

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Question: You know those GPS devices everyone uses that runs on satellite? Well can't you do that with your smart phone too? Is there an app that could let you do GPS navigation on your smart phone without WiFi or 3G or a data connection? It should be theoretically possible right?

If so, why would anyone need to spend $100 for a portable GPS if they can just use their smart phone?
Works in your smartphone if you have 3G/4G/LTE. I've used a Tomtom GPS app before on a 3G enabled iPhone. Worked as well as the real deal if not better.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Works fine on my samsung galaxy s4.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

But the GPS that people use in the car doesn't use 3G. It uses satellite. So why cant the phone do that? I don't have 3G.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:But the GPS that people use in the car doesn't use 3G. It uses satellite. So why cant the phone do that? I don't have 3G.
Most phones have multiple receivers. A cellular receiver that works in multiple bands (regular/3g/4g), a wifi antenna, a bluetooth antenna, and a GPS receiver. You use the gps receiver to find a GPS signal, but some map packages download in real time from the internet and thus require a data connection to function. Get a solid piece of GPS software for your phone that either allows you to download maps prior to travel or has a map library it downloads to your SD card upon purchase and you should be able to use your phone as a GPS in airplane mode.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I looked in my phone apps. There is one called Navigator that works like GPS, but it doesn't work unless you have wifi or 3g or data connection.

So I looked in Google Play Store and found some apps that work with GPS. Just type in GPS in Google Play Store and it will find them. The best one seems to be MapFactor.