Moving HA off shared hosting to dedicated hosting?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Moving HA off shared hosting to dedicated hosting?

Post by Winston »

To anyone who knows something about web servers:

My friend who inspired me to start this site said that this HA domain name is on a Godaddy server with 2,000 other domain names, which greatly slows down its performance and page loading times. He said that after he increased his page loading times, Google ranked his site a lot higher, and as a result, his traffic doubled and now he is making a lot more money than before.

He also said that my site is not enabled with gzip compression, which if enabled, would great increase page load times too. I'm not sure how to enable that but I'll email Godaddy about it.

So how would I get my domain name moved to a server with less domain names on it, or to a dedicated server where it would be the only domain name on it? I'm not sure Godaddy would let me do that. What can I do? What are the options?

Also, this site's speed and performance seems to be pretty bad, based on this report on Page Speed Insights for HA:

http://developers.google.com/speed/page ... abroad.com

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dX596M/ ... abroad.com

Any suggestions?

Is it really true that increasing page load times will increase SEO and thus increase traffic as well? Even if that's true, how can that double the traffic on your site? That seems hard to believe.

Here is what my friend wrote me:
Winston, your problem is that you're a cheapskate! I'll bet my words recently about the difference between a "tinker toy" web site (with maybe 10 visitors a day) and a "big time" site (like yours and mine) were just ignored. You can not expect to host a site well for $5 a month, especially not a popular site. Get it?

You think you are "saving" $50 a month by staying with El Cheapo hosting solution. Sure, you are. But your EARNINGS are almost certainly more than $50-a-month less than what they would be if your site was fast and search engines (not just Google remember) like it more. I'd hazard a guess that by using El Cheapo hosting you are losing HUNDREDS a month in income. My income today was $450. A couple of months ago, $150 was a good day on my old web host. That's DAY. That difference ($300/day) translates to $9,000 a month... and $9,000 buys you some pretty freaking good web hosting! (I'm paying $60 a month for my own server...)

Of COURSE GoDaddy can move you to your own server if you want that. NO other sites on your server. At all. But no, they "won't agree" if your maximum budget remains at $5 a month! LOL!!

You don't find the page crawl speed in the Labs tab. You find it uncer Crawl --> Crawl Stats, bottom of the 3 images. So, what does your site's High, Average a Low page download time say there?

You can find the timings for loading whole pages on your site under Google Analytics.

The link you sent me measures the performance while loading the entire page. I suggest you start by enabling compression on your server... Google says it's switched off on your site. Just go into your control panel and there should be an option to turn on gzip compression (if not, then that's just another nail in GoDaddy's coffin...) This means that pages are compressed (down to maybe 20% of their actual size) on the server, then this smaller file is sent to your browser (80% less bandwidth used), and then your browser decompresses it. This would make a very noticeable improvement to the scores (35/100 and 49/100) that Google gives your site at the moment.

What I was talking about is the time for Google (and other search engines) to spider just the *content* (words/text/HTML) of your web site. They don't generally download the included files (js, css) or images. I'm averaging about 80ms per page on my site. If you see regular spikes in your graph, that means your server is suffering from congestion. Your graph should be more or less a flat line.

Of course, it's important to optimize as many aspects as you can, both for spiders and visitors. Go through the 5 red items in the list that Google gives you in the link you sent me, and try to improve as many as you can. Enabling compression is the easy one.

And remember, it's not just the home page... it's EVERY page that should load as quickly as possible. The easiest way to improve overall load times on your site is to do 'global things' such as enabling gzip compression on your server and putting your site on a faster/less populated server.
Hi Winston,

*If* this speeds up anything, it should speed things up for Googlebot also. However, like I wrote, improvements are most likely to be very marginal. When I used Google's "Page Speed" test (to see if my site would benefit from this similar service), my site often loaded MORE SLOWLY than it does now! And this PageSpeed/CDN is quite complicated and restrictive so I wouldn't bother.

The two most important things you can do are:

1) Focus on reducing the number of requests per page, and obviously the amount of data downloaded per page;

2) Getting OFF a server that hosts 2,084 or more other domains!

Come on Winston, you're no dummy. You know that even one site can bring a server to a crawl, particularly if there's a poorly-written or looping piece of code. So what are the chances of your site being slowed down by 2,084 other sites??? Can you say 100.00%?

So, what are your average Webmaster Tools timings for Googlebot to load your pages?
Last edited by Winston on July 14th, 2014, 1:08 am, edited 10 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is his next email:
Hi Winston,

Oh, MY mistake, sorry... $7 a month hosting, not $5. LOLLL... Winston, 'nobodies' with 'nothing' sites host for $7 a month. Are you a nobody? Is your site a nothing? Go on, ask your web savvy friends if they would host your high-bandwidth, 3,000-visitors-a-day site on a server shared with 2,084 other web sites. You won't find one who would, guaranteed.

Your crawl stats... OMG Winston! It takes Google 995ms (1 second) so load an average page of your site! And a MINIMUM of 570ms!! Do you see how unutterably bad that is?

On your test page: http://developers.google.com/speed/page ... abroad.com

... did you see this suggestion? "Reduce server response time to under 200ms"

Do you remember my graph before I switched web hosts? Once (once in 3 months) it spiked to 628ms. That was the absolute highest, ever. The average was 136ms, minimum 66. Now, 6 weeks after moving to my new web host, the maximum value on any day since then was 119ms, and the average is around 80ms. In other words, Google sees my web site as loading 12X as fast as yours. Which one do you think it would rank higher in its results for the same search term, all other factors being equal, to maximize the "user experience"?

Winston, I am not saying these things to gloat. I am trying to rub your nose in the fact that Google is seeing VERY slow response times from your web site (some 5X the maximum of 200ms that it suggests), and get you to realize that it's all about the user experience. When you do a Google search it says, for example, "About 23,300 results (0.24 seconds)". Why do you think Google has ALWAYS displayed how long the search took? Answer: Because speed is important. Even a 2-second delay is a long time when your eyes are searching around, eagerly waiting to read something.

And what will Google think when it takes 0.24 seconds to find the results, and then the searcher needs to wait 10-20s after that for the next page (your site) to load? (It takes on average 995ms JUST to load the HTML from a page on your site, WITHOUT any images, JS or CSS files.) It makes Google look bad. Subconsciously, searchers will feel "gee, this Google searching is pretty sluggish... let's try Yahoo". They'll blame Google, since it was a Google search they were doing. And Google doesn't like that.

The reason why your server is taking such a long time is that there are (from what I can see) 2,084 other web sites hosted on your physical server. Each one of these 2,084 web sites that has any traffic is competing for bandwidth, CPU, RAM, and disk space. And all it takes is for ONE of those web sites to be badly-programmed, inefficient, resource-hogging, MySQL-intensive, or bug-riddled to bring the entire server to a crawl.

Imagine you had a dedicated server like mine, where ALL disk, RAM, CPU and bandwidth was YOURS 100%. Well, for one thing, it would have enough RAM to cache every single static page and object of your site in memory, avoiding the need to do a disk read for each one.

$60 a month Winston. For your own server all to yourself. For TOTAL control over the server. For root access. For complete information about every aspect of resource usage. For the peace of mind that no idiot/malicious web programmer is crapping all over your server's performance. For Google seeing 12X faster page loading times. For Google LOVING your site's speed and boosting your SE rankings. For many more people coming to your site. For many more people clicking your ads. For much more monthly income, FAR exceeding the $53 extra you are spending monthly on hosting compared to now.

Think about it.
Do we need a dedicated server? Would it make much of a difference?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is this what he's talking about?

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/dedicated-servers.aspx

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting.aspx

What's the difference between a dedicated server and a virtual server?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Last edited by Winston on July 14th, 2014, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What about upgrading my server from shared hosting to web hosting? See here:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/article ... ?locale=en

Would that help? Anyone know?

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Holy moly, I've been telling you this about 10,000 times now.

Move the site to its own server, or use a host that's dedicated to Wordpress/phpBB.

Your ad revenue would probably go up 20% or more as a result.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I talked to Godaddy support on the phone for a long time today. They suggested this plan:

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting.aspx?ci=9013

It's a virtual private server. The only trick would be in moving all the files on my site, including the forum databases, over to the new server. At $29 a month, it's not bad. What do you think?

The support guy said that Google may rank your site higher if it's on its own server rather than a shared one. Is that true?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok my friend told me that yeah, having our own server would raise our ranking and value to Google. He said:
Yes, absolutely Google will like your site more if it's on it's own server. Why? A couple of reasons at least:

1) Your site's pages serve up much faster, for a better "user experience" which is what they are ALL about

2) Your site can have it's own unique IP address, meaning no other sites have that IP address. So Google assumes you are on your own server or similar, therefore a "major player" web site.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this online tool you can use to see what other sites are on your hosting server:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-s ... eb-server/

If you enter "happierabroad.com" it shows 1,000 other sites on our server, with a few that have been flagged as having explicit content.

Here are some sites that explain why having a dedicated server will boost your SEO:

http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-ppc ... nking.html
Dedicated server hosting boosts SEO in the following ways:

1. Dedicated hosting makes your site to have good record in the eyes of the search engines. Most shared hosting comprises thousands of websites of other webmasters. The majority of these people want to make money online at all cost. They use all kinds of scripts and spamming tools in order to gain good search engine ranking. Search engines can easily track the IP hosting the websites can be backlisted for a time. These are things most people don't know. Have you ever wondered why your site just disappeared from the search results? You were gaining top ranking for some days or weeks or one day you just discovered that your site was no where to be found.

2. Dedicated server hosting makes your web page refresh and loading faster. Search engines are changing their algorithms constantly and one of the things taken into consideration is the page loading and refresh. Search engines always want to display the best websites that will improve the experience of internet users. That is how search engines make money. A fast loading web pages is not very good with shared hosting and this affects consideration by the search engines in search results.

3. Shared hosting contain websites that use all kinds of scripts. Most of these scripts consume server resources. For example, a shared hosting with wordpress autoblogs consume server resources that could draw back the functioning of the server. When this happens, most web hosting companies suspend access to the entire websites hosted by the server and when the search engines come visiting to craw the sites, the sites appear as NOT AVAILABLE. When next an internet user makes a search through the search engines, web pages currently available are given priority. Remember, search engines want to show the web pages with the most relevant results and pages that would give users the best experience.

We all say that AUTHORITY SITES are given consideration in the search engines. The issue is that almost all these sites are sitting on dedicated servers. That is one of the reasons why search engines love them because the sites will never fail to display the information needed by visitors. They don't show "SITE NOT AVAILABLE", "BANDWIDTH HAD BEEN REACHED FOR THIS SITE", "PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED", etc.
Also:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/u ... sults.html
http://www.colocationamerica.com/servic ... ortant.htm

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok well we've finally migrated to a better server with a lot fewer sites on it. And we have a new IP too. Have a look:

http://www.my-ip-neighbors.com/?domain= ... abroad.com
http://reverseip.domaintools.com/search ... abroad.com
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-s ... eb-server/

As you can see, there are only a few sites on our server now, compared to 2,000 before on the last server. Also, our new server is backed up by other servers, which are interlinked with each other so that resources can be pooled between them as necessary.

Hopefully, that should increase the performance of this site greatly. Let me know if the forum now loads faster and smoother than before.

I also put a code at the top of the forum and main intro pages that compresses the pages with gzip compression, which is supposed to make the pages load faster.
Last edited by Winston on July 14th, 2014, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

We are moving to Bluehost now. There may be some downtime. For announcement and updates, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=22773

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

We are now on Bluehost's server. See announcement here:

viewtopic.php?t=22773

Let me know if this site performs better on their server. But we are on their shared hosting. We will be moving to dedicated hosting and have our own server, which will raise the performance and ranking of this site.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

ATTENTION:

We will be upgrading to VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting today. During the upgrade, there may be one or two hours of possible downtime. If you try to submit a post just before the site goes down, press the back button on your browser and copy/paste your post into a text file to submit later. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Our migration to VPS hosting is now complete. We are now on a virtual private server with a dedicated unique IP. This means we have our own server and IP address now, that is not shared by other sites! Now we are one of the "big boys" online. :)

You should begin seeing a great improvement in browsing speed and performance now. I've optimized the hosting on our server for optimum performance. So you should see results immediately. We will also be cached on multiple cloud servers around the world for faster performance. And we will have high level security and protection from spam and hacking scripts too. In addition, our ranking in search engines should begin improving as well!

We've taken a whole step up here at HappierAbroad. :)