Poll: What colors should the forum theme be?

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Should we keep the light blue background in forum posts?

Yes. Keep it the way it is. I like the light blue background. It's very nice.
42%
No. It's too blue and bright. Change it back to the dirty white/light grayish color of the old forum theme.
50%
No. It's too blue and bright. Change it to a pure white background.
No votes
It's too blue and bright. But I want another color different from the above choices. Note: If you vote this option, then please specify the background color you prefer by posting it in this thread.
8%

Total votes: 12
Winston
Site Admin

Poll: What colors should the forum theme be?

Post by Winston »

Jamesbond said that he found the light blue background in forum posts to be too bright and hard on the eyes. So I decided to start a poll about this. What do you all think of the light blue background in the forum posts of this theme? Is it great or too bluish and bright? Should we change it back to the dirty white/light grayish background that we had in the old forum? Or keep it the way it is?

Cast your vote above!

Note: In this new version of the forum, you can change your vote later after you cast it. You can also change your vote in previous polls you voted in as well. To change your vote, just select a different option in the poll results and hit Submit.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Do you like the blue background in forum posts?

Post by Winston »

Update:

I've changed the color theme of this forum to something similar to what we had on the old forum. The default colors of this new theme were kind of too blue and too bright. Jamesbond and Mr S were complaining about it too.

So I changed it to something easier on the eyes. I used the dark blue color from the old forum by fetching its html color code and re-colorizing this theme with it using the colorize panel. When I did that, the other colors were automatically tuned to match it. So the background is not so baby blue now either.

What do you all think? Do you like these colors better?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
TheTeacherWhoHatesLies
Freshman Poster

Post by TheTeacherWhoHatesLies »

The new dark blue is much better. You should also change the font type and size because it's hard to read. Also, you should make the quoted text different from the regular text, because it's hard to tell the two apart, and also makes reading harder on the eyes.

One more thing, you really need to lose weight Winston. You're at the age where being fat is going to become more than just a looks issue, if it isn't already. I just saw that recent photo of you, the one where you're dressed up in that Civil War uniform, and you look like you've actually GAINED weight.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TheTeacherWhoHatesLies wrote:The new dark blue is much better. You should also change the font type and size because it's hard to read. Also, you should make the quoted text different from the regular text, because it's hard to tell the two apart, and also makes reading harder on the eyes.

One more thing, you really need to lose weight Winston. You're at the age where being fat is going to become more than just a looks issue, if it isn't already. I just saw that recent photo of you, the one where you're dressed up in that Civil War uniform, and you look like you've actually GAINED weight.
You mean increase the font size? What type of screen are you using? People with big screens on laptops or PC's won't have a problem seeing the text here. But if you're on a tablet or mini-laptop then yeah it can appear small. It depends on the size of your screen. In the top right corner, there is a button that looks like an "A" next to the search box. It can increase the font size for you if you click on it.

What is wrong with the font type? It looks pretty standard. Most font types suck.

The quoted text is in a different shade of gray than the rest of the text. Don't you see that?

My weight has nothing to do with this thread. Btw, I recently lost 10 pounds while in Taiwan. See here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10593&p=203997#p203997

TheTeacherWhoHatesLies
Freshman Poster

Post by TheTeacherWhoHatesLies »

Winston wrote:
TheTeacherWhoHatesLies wrote:The new dark blue is much better. You should also change the font type and size because it's hard to read. Also, you should make the quoted text different from the regular text, because it's hard to tell the two apart, and also makes reading harder on the eyes.

You mean increase the font size? What type of screen are you using? People with big screens on laptops or PC's won't have a problem seeing the text here. But if you're on a tablet or mini-laptop then yeah it can appear small. It depends on the size of your screen. In the top right corner, there is a button that looks like an "A" next to the search box. It can increase the font size for you if you click on it.

What is wrong with the font type? It looks pretty standard. Most font types suck.

The quoted text is in a different shade of gray than the rest of the text. Don't you see that?

My weight has nothing to do with this thread. Btw, I recently lost 10 pounds while in Taiwan. See here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10593&p=203997#p203997
OK I see the button and after clicking it, the font size increases. It's easier to read now, but the font type still sucks IMO. It's serviceable, but still looks weak and lifeless. An example of a good, strong font is Verdana. If you could use the font type your previous board had, that would work.

The quoted text looks almost the same as the regular text, except that it's in a grey box, which doesn't really help make it look distinct. In your previous board, the quoted text was slightly shaded, or lightened, which is how it should be in your new board.

LOL you're lucky to have parents who care. Next time you're traveling overseas, you should bring your mother along to cook all your meals, and make sure you're not pigging out.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

You are right. The quoted text appears to be almost the same shade. And the background color of the posts look kind of dark, almost gloomy. At least the bright blue colors before looked more optimistic. lol. Maybe we should switch back to that. I wanted a dark blue header with light background. This background is kind of dark.

It's hard to control the background color though. The colorize panel was hard to figure out. I'll have to get help from support again. This forum is such a pain in the ass. One could spend many hours and days trying to fix it.

Which font did my previous board use? You can see part of it here:
http://www.happierabroad.com/phpbb2/index.php

Though it's disabled, you can still see some of the text.

The font here does look kind of funky. But if the developers chose it, they must have had a reason. I thought we were already using Verdana? Arial is good too. There's only a few fonts that look ok.

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Lol this one is like "democratic" elections, let the media say #2 is winning by a "landslide" (although only a handful voted)
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This background is somewhere between grey and indigo. It's kind of dark. I'll try to lighten it up a bit.

newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

I find it hard to read cause of the colors
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Alright I've changed the background color of the posts and of the forum list index to the same color it was on the old forum.

How does it look now? Better?

Note: If you don't see the new background colors yet, press Control-Shift-R or Control-F5 to refresh your browser cache so you can see it.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Do you like the background color in forum posts?

Post by Winston »

Note: If you want to see what the baby blue colors in the default version of this theme were, before I changed it, you can see them in my other forum. Here is a topic page from it.

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/ ... =24&t=1255

As you can see, the light blue colors of the background in that theme looked more positive, cheerful and ambient.

We should reconsider going back to that. However, since most of you here are angry and negative, rather than positive and cheerful, perhaps that's why you prefer gloomier colors. lol

What do you all think of the font here? It looks a bit funky. The text and letters don't seem smooth and even. I might try to work on changing that to something like Verdana or Arial.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Poll: What should be the background color in forum posts

Post by MrMan »

All black backgrounds for everything. I have my screen set like that for everything with green text. But I can't see any buttons since you put in the new software because of the eye-friendly way I have my computer set up. Your site discriminates against anyone who uses 'high contrast black' because they are visually impaired, too. Where's my lawyer? (just kidding about the lawyer.)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MrMan wrote:All black backgrounds for everything. I have my screen set like that for everything with green text. But I can't see any buttons since you put in the new software because of the eye-friendly way I have my computer set up. Your site discriminates against anyone who uses 'high contrast black' because they are visually impaired, too. Where's my lawyer? (just kidding about the lawyer.)
If you really prefer one of those black background themes with light colored text, I can activate one for you here. Then you can pick it in your style preferences in your user control panel. However, if you do that, you won't get to see any of the ads here. :) Because that template hasn't been edited to include ads. Would that be ok with you? lol

Is it a big issue for you? If so, I can activate it. Then you will see the forum different from the rest of us. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

white or light gray background instead of blue its hard on the eyes