Welcome to our new forum! Here are some new features.

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new upgraded forum! Some new features.

Post by Winston »

A more new features:

- There is now a Friends and Foes list here. Go to your User Control Panel linked at the top. Then select "Friends and Foes". If you add a person as a friend, he will be on your Friends list. If you add them as a Foe, he will be put on ignore and you will not see his posts.

Also, if you click on a username and go to a username's profile, you can also add that person as a Friend or Foe from there.

- To use the quick reply feature, click on the quick reply button at the bottom of each topic thread to open up the quick reply post form.

- When you compose a post, you can save it as a draft to finish later. You will see a draft button at the bottom of the post form.

- We can now add subforums under the forums if you like.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok it looks like we have some major issues with this new forum that I can't figure out. I sent them to the support forum of phpbb. Here are the issues I sent them. I will update you here if they get solved.
Dear Support,
Well I got my forum to work faster by upgrading it to phpbb3. Check it out. It's now using Prosilver.

index.php

However, upgrading it has caused many anomalous issues and problems, just as I expected. Here are the ones I can't seem to fix. Can you folks help? Thanks.

1. The avatars did not move over. I manually moved them through FTP from the folder in the old forum: /images/avatars/ to the folder in the new phpbb3 forum: /images/avatar/upload

In doing so, I followed the directory layout of phpbb3. But even though I moved the image files, the avatars do not show up in my users' posts. Why? How do I move them successfully?

2. The View Active Topics page doesn't work. When you click on it, no active topics show up, even though there have been posts posted in the forum after the upgrade. Have a look:

search.php?search_id=active_topics

How do I fix the active topics page?

3. The title tags do not work. In the overall header file, I put the title of the page in the front. This has worked in all my other phpbb forums. It is supposed to show the title of the topic followed by the forum name or the category name. It's very simple.

But in this upgrade, it doesn't seem to work for some reason. Here is an example of a topic page where the title is not in the front:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24873

What's wrong? Why doesn't it work this time? It's never failed before when I did it with my other phpbb3 forums.

4. Also, I tried to change the colors of Prosilver in the theme file colours.css to a darker shade of blue. After I did that, I refreshed the cache and also the theme cache. I made sure the file is in the file system too, not just the database. However, the new colors will not show. When I reload a page, the color I changed it to momentarily shows for a second, before it reverts to the default blue in Prosilver again. Go to my forum and you will see. Go to this link and press Control - R to refresh it.

index.php

When the page is refreshed, you will see the dark blue background header that I changed it to, but it only shows for a second, before reverting to the default blue.

What's wrong? Why won't the colors change?

5. The YouTube videos embedded in the forum don't seem to show. I put the BB codes to embed YouTube videos again. However, it seems I have to edit a post with a YouTube video in it, and then resubmit it again for the video to show. There are thousands of YouTube videos embedded in my forum though, so I can't do that with all of them. How can I get them to show? I didn't expect something like this would happen.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:
eurobrat wrote:A lot of features are still disabled.

Please turn on BBCode.
When I edit your posts, I see that you have BB codes and smilies turned off below your post form. For some reason, they seem to be off by default for you. Go to your UCP panel and turn them on. It's linked at the top left of the forum under the logo and is called the User Control Panel.
Still not working, for some reason in just this announcements section. Works fine in other sections.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok well I got the Active Topics page to work now. I had to enable it in all forum settings. Here is the Active Topics page. It shows all the active topics of the last 7 days. You will also find a big link to it in the header area above below the social media buttons.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:
Winston wrote:
eurobrat wrote:A lot of features are still disabled.

Please turn on BBCode.
When I edit your posts, I see that you have BB codes and smilies turned off below your post form. For some reason, they seem to be off by default for you. Go to your UCP panel and turn them on. It's linked at the top left of the forum under the logo and is called the User Control Panel.
Still not working, for some reason in just this announcements section. Works fine in other sections.
In your User Control Panel, go to Board Preferences and select Post Setting Defaults tab. It will take you to a panel where you can turn on BB codes and smilies by defaults, and enable signatures by default too. Here is the direct link:

ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

New feature in the upgraded forum:

In the top right corner of each post, next to the quote button, you will notice an exclamation mark button. This is if you want to report a post or flag it for moderator review. Once you report a post, it will go into a moderation queue to be reviewed by a moderator.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to our new forum! Here are some new features.

Post by Winston »

Update:

The Latest 100 Topics page is working again. You can browse it now.

latesttopics.php

Or you can try the Active Topics page, and see which one you like better.

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Thanks for all the efforts Winston. There's always a lot more than meets the eye on this kind of project.
I liked the narrow style and color scheme of the other one but I know you 're still working on it.
The speed is great.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Another issue:

The blue header bar and outline definitely looks too bright and needs to be changed.

However, what do you guys think of the blue background in the posts pages? As you can see, every post has a shade of blue in the background. Does it look too bluish? On the old forum, the background was more like dirty white or light gray. Should we change the background back to that? Or keep it blue like it is now? Maybe we should do a poll on it. The blue background seems a bit like overkill. What do you all think?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

I've just installed a new mobile version of the forum that's designed for our upgraded phpbb3. It looks smooth and sleek. Check it out at the link below!

index.php?mobile=mobile

If you come here on a tablet or mobile device, it should redirect there automatically. If it doesn't, you can always get to it by clicking on the "Mobile Version" link at the top under the banner.

If you're on a tablet or mobile device, try it out to see if you like it. If you don't, you can always switch back to the desktop version by clicking the button "Switch to full" in the mobile theme.

Hope some of you like it. I think it looks smooth and sleek.

Anatol
Junior Poster

Post by Anatol »

Hello Administrator Sir,

The speed is excellent!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

The blue background in the post area is hard on the eyes Winston, change it to look like the old forum like you are thinking of doing.

We still can't play YouTube videos, only the sound plays and not the video. Also, vimeo videos don't even show up, only the vimeo link shows when you try to inbed a vimeo video.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

After we switched to the new forum, the search box at the top that came with the template sucked. I couldn't find a lot of search terms. And I could not build a search index in the admin panel either because building that index put too much of a load on our server that caused the panel to fail. So we couldn't even generate a proper search index.

So I put the Google search box back at the top since it worked much better. You can use it now to find topics or keywords.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jamesbond wrote:The blue background in the post area is hard on the eyes Winston, change it to look like the old forum like you are thinking of doing.

We still can't play YouTube videos, only the sound plays and not the video. Also, vimeo videos don't even show up, only the vimeo link shows when you try to inbed a vimeo video.
Maybe we can do a poll about the blue background.

I don't know what's wrong with the YouTube videos. I think there are some corrupted files in this forum, because I used a combination of fresh install files with template files from my other forum (in order to save the work of having to edit all of them). That might have corrupted something and made a number of features not work, since a lot of features seem buggy here.

I may have to either: 1) upload all the system files from my other forum here to see if that will fix it, or 2) use the fresh template files that came with the new installation package, but that would mean I'd have to edit them all over again.

With embedding Vimeo videos, you just insert the number of the video, not the whole URL, around the vimeo tags:

Code: Select all

[vimeo]video number[/vimeo]
There is a button in the post form that will insert the vimeo tags around the highlighted text.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jamesbond,
Let's compromise. You want avatar sizes to remain at 200x300. I want it to be 150x250. So let's pick the middle and go with 175x300. That's what I set it at now. I think that's an optimal size, not too big and not too small. Ok? I can be more generous about the length, but not about the width.

To everyone:

Speaking of avatars, I'm afraid I have some bad news. During the conversion process from phpbb2 to phpbb3, the avatars were supposed to be automatically converted over. But they weren't for some reason. Conversions are never perfect. There is no way I can fix this easily either. I can't just upload all the avatars from the other forum into a folder in this new forum and fix it that way. I already tried doing that.

The only way to fix this theoretically would be to run database commands in the database admin panel of the webhost. But that is too complicated and beyond the scope of my ability. I am not a programmer and I don't know database code. It would require long database strings too.

I have searched the phpbb support forums for a solution to this and that's what I discovered.

So the only solution now is for everyone to please REUPLOAD their avatars. Sorry for the inconvenience.

To upload your avatar, go to the User Control Panel link at the top and then go to the Profile tab and select Edit Avatar. If your avatar image exceeds the maximum length and width, it should shrink it for you. Or you can specify the length and width in the avatar panel.

If anyone needs the image file of their avatar, I have them all in a folder and can zip them up and upload them to our server for you to download. In fact, I'll do that and post the download link in this thread for anyone who needs the file of their avatar.

Thanks for your attention and sorry again for the inconvenience.