HA has moved to an upgraded server for better performance!

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

HA has moved to an upgraded server for better performance!

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
We've finally migrated to a better server on Godaddy with a lot fewer sites on it. And we have a new IP too. Have a look:

http://www.my-ip-neighbors.com/?domain= ... abroad.com
http://reverseip.domaintools.com/search ... abroad.com

As you can see, there are only a few sites on our server now, compared to 2,000 before on the last server. Also, our new server is backed up by other servers, which are interlinked with each other so that resources can be pooled between them as necessary.

Hopefully, that should increase the performance of this site greatly. Let me know if the forum now loads faster and smoother than before.

I also put a code at the top of the forum and main intro pages that compresses the pages with gzip compression, which is supposed to make the pages load faster.
Last edited by Winston on August 28th, 2013, 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Seems faster. Cool deal.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Have the forum been loading faster for you all? No more page loading errors?

After the migration, the Ladies Forum went down. I don't know why. The database for it seems to have disappeared when I logged into it. Something went wrong during the migration. I'm having Godaddy tech support look into it now.

Also my forum backup program MySQLDumper no longer works. It shows up as a 500 Server Error. I don't know why. Weird.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'll keep a look out for those server errors I was getting!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

Fix the mobile version of your site. : |
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Sorry Winston, no improvement errors wise. I'm still getting the 403 errors so had to switch to a Singapore Proxy to even see the forum this morning.

However, the forum does seem much faster for posting!

Keep an eye on your stats to see if you get more visitors.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Can you fix the mobile version Winston? Chrome nor Firefox on Android works well at all.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

kai1275 wrote:Can you fix the mobile version Winston? Chrome nor Firefox on Android works well at all.
Hear hear!

the new update causes errors both in my phone and laptop
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Still getting the 403's from Thailand Winston. I've had to put my Singapore proxy on.

This must be a Godaddy thing, I wonder why it's happening?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

P.S. Check the server error logs and see how many 403's you're getting a day. You could be losing loads of traffic as a result.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jboy wrote:
kai1275 wrote:Can you fix the mobile version Winston? Chrome nor Firefox on Android works well at all.
Hear hear!

the new update causes errors both in my phone and laptop
Can you elaborate more on the problems? I need more specific details.
Kai1275 wrote: Can you fix the mobile version Winston? Chrome nor Firefox on Android works well at all.
What is wrong with it? Can you be specific?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I turned off the mobile version of HappierAbroad. It was preventing the mobile app on this forum from working, and I had no way of turning it off for the forum area. It either ran on the entire site or nothing.

kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Ok i will check it out next time I go to the loo to take care of business or something.
Thanks
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:Still getting the 403's from Thailand Winston. I've had to put my Singapore proxy on.

This must be a Godaddy thing, I wonder why it's happening?
You forgot to consider that you might be getting those errors due to an unstable internet connection in Thailand.

Ask the forum members in the US here if they are getting the same page load errors. That would be the telling sign.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The pages on this site are definitely faster now. Try this testing tool and see for yourself:
(Note: Copy and paste the entire line below into your browser, as part of the URL seems to not be hyperlinked for some reason)

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dX596M/ ... abroad.com

You can use it to test individual pages on HappierAbroad too. You will see that load times are faster than before. Page load times were about 4 seconds before. Now they are 2 seconds or less. So it's a great improvement, and should help us in search engine rankings as well!