Attn: All members from India, please send me your IP

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Attn: All members from India, please send me your IP

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
In order to stop all the human spam here everyday, I think I'm going to have to block all IP's from India. I don't know of any other solution. Most of them come from India. Others from Nigeria and Pakistan.

So if you are in India, please post your IP here or PM it to me, so I can make sure to leave it off the list of blocked IP's.

If anyone has any other solutions to the daily problem of human spammers, please let me know.

Thanks,
Winston
Last edited by Winston on August 26th, 2013, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Hi Winston,

Have you checked out my dating site? I've got a database of all the IP addresses in the World! I got it from MaxMind.com. And it was free! It's a static database file and there should be some PHP modules on their site. I'm using their C# class library. It's pretty darned accurate, I've only had 1 user with an unknown IP.

It doesn't stop proxy users, but you can pay money for a database of all the proxies in the World if you want to stop the ghosts of former members re-registering lol.

I also bought some nice flag icons, so I've combined the two on my stats page to show where all my members are from.

By the way, most of my scammers are from Senegal and Malaysia.

This also looks interesting: http://www.stopforumspam.com/.

I don't know if you're as geeky as I am, but another way to stop the spam is to write a classifier. All you need to do is feed it spam and legit sample messages, then it will work out if a message is likely to be spam. It basically does this by making a list of words people are or aren't likely to use on your forum. Given how broad your forum topics are, I don't know if this would work so well. But if you had a motorcycle forum then it would do a magnificent job of blocking any posts about pills or real estate etc. I've actually been testing it on my site as I wanted a way of blocking the 419 letter writers, but just blocking anyone from Africa turned out to be an easier solution.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok well using this IP database service:

http://ipinfodb.com/ip_country_block.php

I just blocked all primary IP's from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nigeria, where most of the spam seemed to be coming from, by blocking them in my htaccess file. Hopefully that will stop most of the spam. GuitarGuy's IP didn't seem to be on the block list, so he should be able to log in.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've just unblocked all the IP's from India in my htaccess file. The reason is that some people in the US were blocked as well. I don't know why. But the error message they were getting indicated that it was due to the blocked IP's in the htaccess file.

So who knows how many others not in India were blocked as a result of this. We could have lost legit traffic from this. So for now, I've unblocked all those IP's to see if our traffic will increase. The risk though, is that the spammers from India doing SEO here may return as well. We will see. Please be on the lookout for them in the next few days.

If you were one of those not from India who could not access this site due to this, please let me know so I can see how many of you were there.

Thanks,
Winston