Wise and Witty Quotes

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Winston
Site Admin

Wise and Witty Quotes

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I thought I'd start a thread of great profound quotes.

I saw one yesterday in one of those powerpoint nature slide shows with quotes of wisdom in it. It was so true. It went like this:

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

So true huh? Average people usually have nothing else to talk about than current events on the news and in their lives.

Here is another one I like:

"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
- Louis D. Brandeis (Supreme Court Judge)
Last edited by Winston on October 21st, 2010, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

"Nothing that results from human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. And those who are enlightened before the others are condemned to pursue that light in spite of others." -Christopher Columbus

"People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public." -Bryan White

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein

"A woman's body is a work of art. A man's body is a utilitarian. It's for gettin' around. It's like a Jeep." - Elaine on Seinfeld, on why men shouldn't walk around naked.

'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools, and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion.' -Thornton Wilder

A man is incomplete until he is married. After that, he is finished. -Zsa Zsa Gabor

Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human intelligence long enough to get money from it. -Stephen Butler Leacock

Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well-informed about the United States. -J. Bartlett Brebner

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving words in evidence of the fact. -George Elliot

I am a marvellous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. - Zsa Zsa Gabor

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

I ask people why they have deer heads on their walls. They always say because it's such a beautiful animal. There you go. I think my mother is attractive, but I have photographs of her. - Ellen DeGeneres

Loyalty isn't standing by someone when he's right... that's good judgement. Loyalty is standing by someone when he's wrong. - Susan Estrich

There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more. - Woody Allen
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." —Mark Twain

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination." —Mark Twain

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." —Mark Twain

"Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand." —Mark Twain

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." —Mark Twain

"It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them." —Mark Twain

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." —Mark Twain

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written." —Oscar Wilde

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." —Oscar Wilde

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." —Oscar Wilde

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." —Oscar Wilde

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." —Plato

"It were not best that we should all think alike; it is differences of opinions that makes horseraces." —Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet." —Ralph Waldo Emerson

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." —Socrates

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." —Thomas Jefferson

"I aimed at the public's heart, and by accident I hit it in the stomach." —Upton Sinclair

"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." —Voltaire

"Prejudice is opinion without judgement." —Voltaire

"The secret of being boring is to say everything." —Voltaire

"I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me." —Woody Allen

BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." —Mark Twain
This made me LOL. So true.
Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question. - Gaston Bachelard
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some great quotes about the folly of patriotism:

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
- George Bernard Shaw

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."
- Bertrand Russell

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious."
- Oscar Wilde

"Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?"
- Blaise Pascal

"Patriotism in its simplest, clearest, and most indubitable signification is nothing else but a means of obtaining for the rulers their ambitions and covetous desires, and for the ruled the abdication of human dignity, reason, and conscience, and a slavish enthralment to those in power."
- Leo Tolstoy

"The pioneers of a warless world are the youth who refuse military service."
- Albert Einstein
Last edited by Winston on January 31st, 2013, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must eat the pear yourself. If you want to know the theory and methods of revolution, you must take part in revolution. All genuine knowledge originates in direct experience.
-- Mao Zedong

I once tried standing up on my toes to see far out in the distance, but I found that I could see much farther by climbing to a high place.
-- Xun Zi

We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.
-- Zhuangzi
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

“You must become the change you wish to see in the world.� - Gandhi

"Just look at us. Everything is backwards. Everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information, and religion destroys spirituality." - Michael Ellner

"Everything that can set you free has been painted as evil... It's called the "scarecrow technique" and it's used for basically everything that might set us free - through a variety of mindless religions, such as science skepticism, judeo christianity, anti-drug, capitalism, and psychiatry. If people are screaming "evil", there's a good chance so long as it's not hurting someone, that it is actually the path to freedom." - A Fan of David Icke
Last edited by Winston on December 7th, 2010, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

“Act kindly towards women, for they were created from a rib and the most crooked part of the rib is its top. If you attempt to straighten it you will break it, if you leave it alone it will remain crooked: so act kindly towards women.� --- Prophet Muhammad
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a great quote that a middle class girl in Ortigas texted me today, which applies to our movement very well. I think I'll put it in my forum signature.

"The first step towards getting somewhere... is deciding that you are not going to stay where you are."

I don't know who said that though. But it's a great quote that's appropriate for this movement isn't it?

BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

MrPeabody wrote:“Act kindly towards women, for they were created from a rib and the most crooked part of the rib is its top. If you attempt to straighten it you will break it, if you leave it alone it will remain crooked: so act kindly towards women.� --- Prophet Muhammad
Charming. If it wasn't said by the Prophet I'd have quite something to say about this one :lol:
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is another great one, which we've all experienced I'm sure. I think I'll add it to my signature.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

Post by DarrenFW »

If trees could scream, would we be so cavilier about chopping them down?

We would if they screamed all the time for no reason.

J. Handy
Check out my Blog and Website!
http://www.goglobaldating.com

Features FREE ebook, forum and good articles.
http://goglobaldating.com/forum/
Iawesome60
Freshman Poster

Post by Iawesome60 »

I have some quotes.

"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal, and it is useless to let go the reins and then expect her not to kick over the traces. You must keep her on a tight rein . . . Women want total freedom or rather to call things by their names total licence. If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters . . ." - Cato the Elder 234-149 B.C., quoted in Livys History of Rome

This is a powerful quote. Not trying to be simp or mangina, isn't calling a woman an animal kind of harsh?

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." ~Nietzsche

Patience is the greatest of all virtues. Cato the Elder

"To be completely woman you need a Master, and in him, a compass for your life. You need a man you can look up to and respect. If you dethrone him, it is no wonder that you are discontented, and discontented women are not loved for long." ~Marlene Dietrich

I got them from

http://happybachelorsforum.com/forums/p ... f=4&t=1684

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Cato_the_Elder
There aren't many attractive women (inside and outside) in America. A man wants a physically attractive woman with attractive personality traits. American women usually don't have that combination.

Ever since I found Winston's website and read the information on there, my life has been much easier and I've been a MUCH more happier person!

No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up with her crap. ~Author Unknown (Quote about women)
swincor
Freshman Poster

Post by swincor »

Here's one:

"Feelings of affection towards women do not prevent or excuse you from acting in your best interest, or using good judgment, Winston."

-- swincor__
Heart of Shadows
Freshman Poster

Post by Heart of Shadows »

"You always feel like you are the only one in the world, like everyone else is crazy for each other, but it's not true. Generally, people don't like each other very much. And that goes for friends, too. "
— Miranda July

"Knowledge subverts love: in proportion as we penetrate our secrets, we come to loathe our kind, precisely because they resemble us."
— Emil Cioran

"And between whiles you boast of having managed to be rid of your unhappiness, but everyone knows, don't they, that you've not done any such thing but are just as miserable as you well can be. As you grow uglier and uglier and more repulsive, playing this game as you grow old, you can't even conceal your unhappiness any longer, your failure; and in the end your face has become only an ugly expression which takes twenty, thirty or more years to come up from your stomach onto your face. That is what a man will achieve, that and that alone, -- an ugly expression which he has spent a lifetime making and often even then hasn't managed to finish off properly, because of how difficult and complicated an expression it would have to be to reflect his real soul without missing anything out. "
— Louis Ferdinance Celine

Super villains are good people gone bad. Super heroes are people who are afraid of change.

Amaroo Jamal Suggs

Hope is a bad thing. It means that you are not what you want to be. It means that part of you is dead, if not all of you. It means that you entertain illusions. It's a sort of spiritual clap, I should say. :Miller, Henry

"I see America spreading disaster. I see America as a black curse upon the world. I see a long night settling in and that mushroom which has poisoned the world withering at the roots."

Miller, Henry

Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good. -- Menken

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. -- Menken

Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable. -- Mencken

A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass; he is actually ill. Worse, he is incurable. --Mencken

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- Mencken
"It is a sign of creeping inner death when we can no longer praise the living."
Eric Hoffer

"If human beings were shown what they're really like, they'd either kill one another as vermin, or hang themselves."
Aldous Huxley