Dire Warning from Science Fiction

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Neo
Junior Poster

Dire Warning from Science Fiction

Post by Neo »

At first it may seem silly, but then when considered altogether, the multitude of sources make it clear: Do not attempt to play God.

From Dune, to Terminator, to The Matrix, to Battlestar Galactica, the message is clear: if mankind attempts to play creator God by inventing artificial consciousness or intelligence, then it runs the risk of being destroyed by its very own creation.

This is a clear warning throughout many scifi movies and series.

Creating consciousness is not something mankind should be playing around with, because that realm belongs to God. Also by definition that consciousness or intelligence will not have a soul, and therefore it will be amoral and evil. Mankind can't create anything pure. Only God can do that. So almost by definition, artificial life cannot be "good."

In the end it is likely that such inventions will "rise up" to slaughter their masters (mankind), enslave them, dominate them, and subjugate them.

At first it may seem like this is a joke. But then consider, how so many films repeat this theme over and over in different ways, like parables and proverbs that tell the same story in different ways to enlighten understanding.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Luberg
Freshman Poster

Re: Dire Warning from Science Fiction

Post by Luberg »

I think this is true, there's something I learnt from the 2014 sci-fi movie Transcendence. A scientist was speaking to the wife of another scientist(his colleague) who had transcended his consciousness into a machine after his death. Here is what he said - 'I spent my life trying to reduce the brain to a series of electrical impulses, I failed. Human emotion, it can contain illogical conflict - to love someone, and then hate the things that they've done, the machine can't reconcile that.' There's something about nature and consciousness that humans don't have to play around with or try to create another kind, we might end up doing more harm than good.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

It's hard to tell if you're being serious. Leaving aside the obvious--that God and associated myths are themselves an invention of man--it's silly to fear actual not-science-fiction A.I. If it gets to where A.I. is even capable of doing those things, countless possible safeguards could be put in place, assuming even that much becomes necessary. But we are nowhere remotely near the point where we would even attempt to begin to try to start to even imagine how we would worry about any of that. Rather, predicted dates for when the Turing Test will be passed tend to be getting postponed.

Sci-fi films are made not to warn us but to entertain us, and sometimes to be thought-provoking. Ex Machina is a really good one. And of course Blade Runner.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

It seems a few people are starting to wake up to the realization that it is a terrible idea to make soulless artificial intelligence, because there will be no moral compass, no consequences, and no attachment to humanity to ground them.

Killer robot TERROR: UK and US warned AI brains can be 'radicalised' for MASS MURDER

ROBOTS could be prone to radicalisation leading to sick ISIS-style terror attacks, according to a chilling warning.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world- ... orism-isis
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Tech leaders: Killer robots would be ‘dangerously destabilizing’ force in the world
Thousands of artificial intelligence experts are calling on governments to take preemptive action before it’s too late.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... 43afe01ad3

• “Thousands of AI researchers agree that by removing the risk, attributability, and difficulty of taking human lives, lethal autonomous weapons could become powerful instruments of violence and oppression, especially when linked to surveillance and data systems,” the pledge says.
  • Lethal autonomous weapons systems can identify, target and kill without human input,
  • autonomous weapons systems are being developed in many nations around the world — “particularly the United States, China, Israel, South Korea, Russia and the United Kingdom.”
  • FLI has even coined a name for these weapons systems — “slaughterbots.”