Rick Roderick, better than Joel Osteen

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Rick Roderick, better than Joel Osteen

Post by El_Caudillo »

Here is a lecture I really recommend to all of you. It's starts a bit slow and talks about a philosopher you might not be familiar with, Soren Kiergegaard, but quickly moves on to addressing contemporary issues. Although this lecture was given in 1990, the lecturer, Rick Roderick, talks eloquently about how technology turns us into zombies. We used to be scared of Death and the Apocalypse - but now these are no longer problems - the world is not interesting enough to blow up, and we never become real people and so the death of life isn't an issue. He talks about Ronald Regan and Bladerunner - i.e. stuff from the 80s, but I really think this lecture has a lot to offer in trying to interpret today's world - especially as I walk the somewhat sterile streets of Taipei.

Rick Roderick was from west Texas. He has a down to earth style and Texan charm that I'm sure Winston will love. I don't know whether he had a wholesome wife though lol. The important thing is that he makes very complex ideas accesible and is not trying to sell us snake oil like Osteen or Kent Hovind. Any of his lectures on Western philosophy are worth checking out.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AILpwUTPRGQ[/youtube]
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!