The Dance Of Intelligence

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
galii
Experienced Poster

The Dance Of Intelligence

Post by galii »

I like this wording. You see I love dancing. I think it is maybe the best thing in life. To bring dance in other areas of life could be the goal. So talking to other people could be desribed as dancing if done in a nice way. On a higher level it would be the dance of intelligence. Very nice.

Well I tried pair dancing but it feels not smooth enough. Maybe I have to try more. I like solo dancing though it could be with another person in a freestyle manner. In a way forums are like that too. It is solo but also with other people somehow.

In every first contact people do a little subconscious dance with each other to figure out where the other person stands and what this new meeting might now mean for them as an individual. Observe your emotional inner landscape carefully and you can actually see this unfold.

People interested in status for example quickly deliver some lines to figure out where the other person stands in terms of social status. And its not just about the cars, but who does he or she know, what responsibility she carries, what network this person is in, etc. etc.

With intelligence, and an interest in intelligence and knowledge, there is a bit of a different dance going on, which is that of a multi-level communication. So can the other person jump from level to level, and make the same or similar inferences?

You see intelligence is a highly creative process not just using the rational part of the brain, but also emotions, social intelligence, subconscious impulses, cultural inferences, memories, etc. etc. All these cross references actually help to build intelligence and knowledge. Intelligence is about the creation of knowledge and to be able to avail yourself to all you inner processes, not just the rational ones.

So when two people meet, they recognize each other through the capability to “dance” through all these levels at the same time. A change in a reference level in one person will not confuse the other, but actually inspire the other to use it as another impulse for the next idea, which can activate again totally different level, etc. …back and forth.

This is then harmony. Just like the couple on the picture.
https://www.quora.com/How-do-intelligen ... each-other

--------------------------------------

'How do intelligent people recognize each other?'

I stumbled on this reddit post. I thought it is interesting. A love strory of a different kind. It is funny that we do not have stories like that that much
This is a fascinating question.

I am very bright. I don’t take credit for that anymore than I do the fact that I have blue eyes. I was born that way.

I have always felt, just a little, like I don’t belong.

The reason for this is that back in the 60’s, when I was a kid, girls didn’t want to look too smart. I was told that I would scare the boys off. No one wanted a wife that was smarter than he was.

I dated a lot of uninspiring men. Always careful to keep my intellect a bit “dumbed down.”

I met my husband as a blind date. I knew, within minutes, that he was very bright as well. I don’t know how I knew. I just did.

He is brilliant but a very humble nice man so it wasn’t what he said, necessarily.

I think, I sensed a kindred spirit.

We went out to dinner.

We chatted about first date stuff.

Place of birth. Family. Jobs. Music.

I said, “Can I ask you a rather odd question for a first date?

“Sure.”

“Do I seem particularly intelligent to you?”

“Yes, you seem extremely intelligent to me.”

“How long did it take for you to decide that?”

“Minutes.”

“How did you know?”

“Hmmm. I don’t know. You just seem like a very alert individual.”

“Can you always spot ‘an alert individual’?”

“Oh, yeah. How about you?

“Me too.”

“How long does it take you?”

“Minutes”

”Yeah, me too.”

“I have to dumb down a lot so that men don’t get intimidated.”

“I wish you wouldn’t do that.”

I decided that I would marry him on our second date.

I was 22 and he was 30.

We got engaged six weeks later.

Everyone thought that we had lost our minds.

In April, my husband and I will celebrate 35 years of a happy marriage.

Yes. I can still pick them, a mile away. No. I still don’t know why.