The Warnings About A New Civil War Are Becoming Louder

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Warnings About A New Civil War Are Becoming Louder

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 7:45 am
In this paradigm, there are seven stages that a nation goes through on the path to civil war and they are as follows

1 Political Discourse
2 Polarizing Disagreement
3 Harassment of the opposition by one or both sides
4 Violence
5 Assassinations
6 Extreme Civil Unrest
7 Civil War
We are already in a soft stage 5, but if the Republicans hold on to Congress in November, expect us to bump up to number into number 6. Number 5 came with the attempted assassinations of Steve Scalise and the other members of Congress last year. We are in a lull at the moment, but more in stage 5 will likely come.

If we do reach stage 6 after November, any impasse will provoke the desire for upping the ante into Stage 7 which is Civil War.

Wars are not good, but sometimes they are necessary. If we look at the Balkans today, just a little more than a decade ago the various sides were bloodletting and exterminating each other like unwanted vermin. Today there is mutual respect and the groups have fallen back into peaceful coexistence.

I only wish that the complex society that is the USA could be so easily reset, but it will not.
TD-40
Freshman Poster

Re: The Warnings About A New Civil War Are Becoming Louder

Post by TD-40 »

October 7th, 2018, 1:25 pm
September 28th, 2018, 7:45 am
In this paradigm, there are seven stages that a nation goes through on the path to civil war and they are as follows

1 Political Discourse
2 Polarizing Disagreement
3 Harassment of the opposition by one or both sides
4 Violence
5 Assassinations
6 Extreme Civil Unrest
7 Civil War
We are already in a soft stage 5, but if the Republicans hold on to Congress in November, expect us to bump up to number into number 6. Number 5 came with the attempted assassinations of Steve Scalise and the other members of Congress last year. We are in a lull at the moment, but more in stage 5 will likely come.

If we do reach stage 6 after November, any impasse will provoke the desire for upping the ante into Stage 7 which is Civil War.

Wars are not good, but sometimes they are necessary. If we look at the Balkans today, just a little more than a decade ago the various sides were bloodletting and exterminating each other like unwanted vermin. Today there is mutual respect and the groups have fallen back into peaceful coexistence.

I only wish that the complex society that is the USA could be so easily reset, but it will not.
I also agree that the US is moving between 4 and 5. Stage 5 will need to get more serious with more attempts before we can say we are at that stage. I do think some nut will go after Trump eventually.