Study Shows Women Are Ashamed of Earning More than Husbands

Discuss news and current events around the world.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Study Shows Women Are Ashamed of Earning More than Husbands

Post by jamesbond »

Women are uncomfortable out-earning their boyfriends and husbands, according to a new survey.

According to a report from Refinery 29, young women are uncomfortable navigating a relationship in which they out-earn their significant other. A survey revealed that many American women would be uncomfortable being the breadwinner in a relationship, citing concerns that the responsibility of providing for their partner would be tiring.

When asked how they would feel if they knew right now that they would always be the breadwinner in their current marriages and relationships, words like “tired,” “exhausted,” and that special one, “resentful” turned up over and over again. One woman responded, “It’s stressful. It’s a huge responsibility. I pressure myself to stay in the job I’m at even if I’m unhappy there.”

Another wrote, “I kind of assume this will be the case, just based on our past jobs and strengths/interests. It makes me feel a little weary sometimes, like I may never get a break, or get to pursue something I might really love, but if I COULD do something I really loved while making enough money to support us, I would be perfectly fine with that.” This was a common theme in the responses. Most of these women didn’t mind being the breadwinner as long as they eventually had the option to make less, their partners contributed equally in the household, and it didn’t trap them into jobs they no longer wanted.

In 2015, 38 percent of American wives made more than their husbands. This trend is increasing, as less than a quarter of American women out-earned their husbands in 1987. However, research from the University of Chicago revealed that relationships in which wives making even $5,000 more than their husband annually were more likely to end in divorce. Research from Washington University in St. Louis on marriages in Denmark revealed that wives earning more than their husbands were more likely to take anti-anxiety medications and also more likely to suffer from insomnia.

http://www.breitbart.com/economics/2017 ... -husbands/
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Study Shows Women Are Ashamed of Earning More than Husba

Post by MrMan »

I believe men, in general, are designed to be better equipped for the emotional load of being responsible for the family than women. But some of those responses sounded kind of selfish... not getting to pursue what she really loves, etc. So the poor guy is supposed to give up what he loves and work some lousy job so she can't paint and tap dance or something like that? That's what I thought of when I read those comments.

As far as the power dynamic in the relationship goes, I'd think it would be bad for the relationship if the wife was a sugar momma. She may try to exert control over family resources since they come from her paycheck. That's a bad dynamic in the relationship. It's better when the man is in charge, a more comfortable situation for both. Women learn that they are to be equal or to be powerful. But then they experience it and are unsatisfied with the actual experience of it.

I saw some of the objectives of foundations that give money for microbusiness loans. They want to lend money to women in developing countries to increase their power in the home. What a messed up objective. There are rich liberals pushing for similar things in the US, trying to increase women's wages in relation to men. It's not helpful for the family. Sure, I'd like single spinster women and widows to be able to earn a decent salary to live on. If a woman is physically unattractive and got passed over or if her husband dies, that doesn't mean she should starve. But women generally like it if the man earns more than they do.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Re: Study Shows Women Are Ashamed of Earning More than Husba

Post by Eric »

jamesbond wrote:Women are uncomfortable out-earning their boyfriends and husbands, according to a new survey.

According to a report from Refinery 29, young women are uncomfortable navigating a relationship in which they out-earn their significant other. A survey revealed that many American women would be uncomfortable being the breadwinner in a relationship, citing concerns that the responsibility of providing for their partner would be tiring.

When asked how they would feel if they knew right now that they would always be the breadwinner in their current marriages and relationships, words like “tired,” “exhausted,” and that special one, “resentful” turned up over and over again. One woman responded, “It’s stressful. It’s a huge responsibility. I pressure myself to stay in the job I’m at even if I’m unhappy there.”

Another wrote, “I kind of assume this will be the case, just based on our past jobs and strengths/interests. It makes me feel a little weary sometimes, like I may never get a break, or get to pursue something I might really love, but if I COULD do something I really loved while making enough money to support us, I would be perfectly fine with that.” This was a common theme in the responses. Most of these women didn’t mind being the breadwinner as long as they eventually had the option to make less, their partners contributed equally in the household, and it didn’t trap them into jobs they no longer wanted.

In 2015, 38 percent of American wives made more than their husbands. This trend is increasing, as less than a quarter of American women out-earned their husbands in 1987. However, research from the University of Chicago revealed that relationships in which wives making even $5,000 more than their husband annually were more likely to end in divorce. Research from Washington University in St. Louis on marriages in Denmark revealed that wives earning more than their husbands were more likely to take anti-anxiety medications and also more likely to suffer from insomnia.

http://www.breitbart.com/economics/2017 ... -husbands/

Nahhhhh, you don't sayyy?
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.