Indian Village Bans Cell Phones for Women

Discuss news and current events around the world.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

COUNCIL ELDERS WORRY ABOUT ELOPEMENTS

By John Johnson, Newser Staff Posted Dec 5, 2012 5:08 PM CST

1 image Touch for photo gallery

(NEWSER) –A village in north India has outlawed the use of cell phones in public by women because the (male) council elders say they're leading to elopements, reports Reuters. "It always gives us a lot of embarrassment when someone asks who has eloped this time," explains the head of a committee tasked with enforcing the ban in Sunderbari village. Single women will be fined about $180, and married women about $40.

"Even married women were deserting their husbands to elope with lovers," says the enforcer. "So, we decided to tackle it firmly. Mobile phones are debasing the social atmosphere." As the National explains, such laws are not unusual in northern India, and the Supreme Court has asked state governments to investigate the local councils. "These are tools of patriarchy," says an advocate for women's rights. "They feel that women will connect with whoever they want and they fear they will get boyfriends, break the caste system and all that rubbish. These are unacceptable archaic ideas."
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 26th, 2019, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

lol how's taking a person's cell phone gonna stop them from eloping,.. if they want to they'll find a way.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Renata wrote:lol how's taking a person's cell phone gonna stop them from eloping,.. if they want to they'll find a way.
Yeah, but smoke signals and carrier pigeons are a lot harder to sneak by. :razz:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything