Would we have been happier in 1914 than 2014?

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Halwick wrote:It depends on which class status you are in. The picture of 1914 you paint depicts is a leisurely upper class 1914 and assumes the world at that time was like that. And I think you picture yourself as being part of that upper class. Remember, in 1914 there were only two classes: Poor and Upper.
You seem to keep confusing how things were back then with how they are right now.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Cornfed wrote:
Halwick wrote:It depends on which class status you are in. The picture of 1914 you paint depicts is a leisurely upper class 1914 and assumes the world at that time was like that. And I think you picture yourself as being part of that upper class. Remember, in 1914 there were only two classes: Poor and Upper.
You seem to keep confusing how things were back then with how they are right now.

Cornfed, you're full of corn mash and its derivatives.

So you think there weren't any social class distinctions and prejudices back then? You think people and society in 1914 were more egalitarian, eh?

I rememberd my grandfather (who actually had firsthand experience of the early 20th century) telling me in great detail about life during those tmes. It was hardly anythiing like the romanticized rose colored picture that is the premise of this post.

And you guys, lacking any realistic historic perspective and knowledge, think you can be much happier in that era? BS and Corn mash!!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Halwick wrote:Cornfed, you're full of corn mash and its derivatives.

So you think there weren't any social class distinctions and prejudices back then? You think people and society in 1914 were more egalitarian, eh?
It depends where you were of course, but in a lot of places in the Anglo colony countries, the situation was indeed egalitarian. My ancestors of that time were mainly yeoman farmers and artisans breaking in the country. The PTB needed them not just for their labor but also for their initiative and their sperm, so they tended to be treated with respect. They lived in close-knit communities that helped each other out and were largely self sufficient, with cash transactions constituting a small part of the actual economy. In this environment people needed each other, so it was your values and what you did, rather than what "class" you were said to be in that was important. There was no real equivalent of Lord Snot or Daddy Warbucks in my home town at the time. The de-facto class system only started to be reimposed during the 80s. Now it is pretty much illegal to get ahead unless you are one of the hereditary ruling class or their whores or exotic housepets.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Another thing: Back in 1914, people didn't sit home and watch TV every night. They went out and did stuff and interacted with real people. They had a life. Much better to play cards with your friends, have a drink at the saloon or watch girls dancing at the saloon or town square, etc.

Halwick,
If you don't think life can be enjoyable or happy without technology and modern conveniences, then watch this film and it will change your mind.

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

Here is a playlist of the series that seems to include all episodes of both seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC53C8798EF8C2F9F

Description:

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams is a 1974 film loosely based on the actual trapper James "Grizzly" Adams.

Grizzly Adams is a woodsman during the frontier era who flees into the mountains after he is wrongly accused of murder. While struggling to survive, Adams discovers an orphaned grizzly bear cub whom he takes in and calls Ben. The bear, despite his huge adult size, becomes Adams's closest companion. Adams proves to have an uncanny link to most of the indigenous wildlife of the region, who have no fear of him. In return, he resolves never to harm another animal whenever possible.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
argaluza
Freshman Poster

Post by argaluza »

And Winston has forgotten about miscegenation laws and the fear of the 'yellow peril' in America meaning his sex life would have been worse than it is now if that is possible. My own family were monolingual Irish speaking farmers living in semi-poverty in the 'Gaeltacht' Winston is talking about the rich whereas his life as a working class man is far better than it would have been back then, I know mine is.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Life would've been better for most back in the early 1900s. For anyone who wasn't a worthless idiot. Those kind of people suffered most in those days. They still suffer now.

You also had to be way more responsible as your grave could've been where you were standing.

Since there was less law enforcement, there were also many more people who a crooked moral compass. You had to be VERY careful about who you trusted, as they could spell your doom. There was also little you could do, in case you were a victim of a crime. You know, aside from going out and killing them yourself, which was obviously risky. Which is why many folks grouped together, and that's a whole 'nother can of worms you don't wanna open.

You had to be careful about what you ate. There was no strict regulation of foods & preparation to keep you from sickness or even kicking the bucket from eating the wrong foods. Only way you could be sure was to be a herbivore most of the time, and even THAT was ill-advised.

There were less protection from diseases. People who got sick and lived to tell about it were very lucky. Being sick means you can't do a whole lot of work, which meant you starved if you were alone. You'd be more vulnerable to even the weakest bandits. A hostile group meant you were f***ed.

Firearms? You better hope there's someone nearby to take the bullet(s) out, or you're gonna be bleeding for a while. You know, if you don't bleed out or get gunned down before then! Getting hit in a vital spot means you're probably gonna bite it. Or not live long. You REALLY wanted to avoid confrontation whenever possible.

However, there were also great benefits to living in that time.

It was easier NOT to trust people. Self-sufficiency meant you were gonna live longer than most people. It also meant other people would be attracted to you, to help you out, trade goods, make a family and defend you. It was difficult to live a life of crime(was easier to be a good guy at the time), so most wouldn't go down that path if they knew what was good for them.

It was also necessary to socialize. Winston's worried about meeting women? You'd most likely get at least one hand in marriage if you can grow an acre of food. But you also wouldn't have to worry about being out of shape either. Daily labors would mold you into a strong and decent looking person. You'd be attractive to MANY women by default! :D

But you'd have a TON more things to worry about than getting laid...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

argaluza wrote:And Winston has forgotten about miscegenation laws and the fear of the 'yellow peril' in America meaning his sex life would have been worse than it is now if that is possible. My own family were monolingual Irish speaking farmers living in semi-poverty in the 'Gaeltacht' Winston is talking about the rich whereas his life as a working class man is far better than it would have been back then, I know mine is.
I wasn't talking about being an Asian in 1914 or before that. I wouldn't want to be an Asian in that time period either. I was just talking about in general. Preferably from a well off family too. Like a family with a ranch. :)
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
argaluza
Freshman Poster

Post by argaluza »

Winston wrote:
argaluza wrote:And Winston has forgotten about miscegenation laws and the fear of the 'yellow peril' in America meaning his sex life would have been worse than it is now if that is possible. My own family were monolingual Irish speaking farmers living in semi-poverty in the 'Gaeltacht' Winston is talking about the rich whereas his life as a working class man is far better than it would have been back then, I know mine is.
I wasn't talking about being an Asian in 1914 or before that. I wouldn't want to be an Asian in that time period either. I was just talking about in general. Preferably from a well off family too. Like a family with a ranch. :)
:lol:

Oh right, you mean being a rich white man in 1914? Well, they have always had it good, why not go back to 1600? They had a great time raping their servants without any comeback from the law as they were the law.

However, the demographic whose quality of life which has improved out of leaps and bounds are the working classes. There was nothing good about being working class in 1914 - if you survived the great war then you might have not have survived Spanish flu, add on to 18 hour shifts, poor housing and conditions, poor nutrition, shorter lifespan. None of it was good.

The reality is Winston Wu's life in 1914 would have been stuck in the middle of Utah laying down a railroad track - it would have been awful, and there is your answer.
Tezcatlipoca
Freshman Poster

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

No. Two world wars + antibacterial s hadn't stopped disease yet. I think the best time to be born in the us would be around 1940. Too young to go to war then you experience the post war boom right now you'd be retired in your 70s just before the shit hits the fan again (as I think will likely happen as we move to a multi polar world which will lead to more regional instability).
Stop being angry at the stuff you don't have (yet) in life and instead focus on how to get it.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Winston wrote:Another thing: Back in 1914, people didn't sit home and watch TV every night. They went out and did stuff and interacted with real people. They had a life. Much better to play cards with your friends, have a drink at the saloon or watch girls dancing at the saloon or town square, etc.

Halwick,
If you don't think life can be enjoyable or happy without technology and modern conveniences, then watch this film and it will change your mind.

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

Here is a playlist of the series that seems to include all episodes of both seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC53C8798EF8C2F9F

Description:

The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams is a 1974 film loosely based on the actual trapper James "Grizzly" Adams.

Grizzly Adams is a woodsman during the frontier era who flees into the mountains after he is wrongly accused of murder. While struggling to survive, Adams discovers an orphaned grizzly bear cub whom he takes in and calls Ben. The bear, despite his huge adult size, becomes Adams's closest companion. Adams proves to have an uncanny link to most of the indigenous wildlife of the region, who have no fear of him. In return, he resolves never to harm another animal whenever possible.

The point is, can YOU live in that environment and under those circumstances and claim to be HAPPY?

How about putting your money where your mouth is and live on a "Back To Nature Retreat" or among the Amish for two years and then come back and tell me how HAPPY you are and how much you DON"T miss any modern conveniences. Of course you won't be able to post any blogs, but we can wait.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

You owned your property back then here in the US, I read some of the stuff white males got away with back then and if true there is no way even close that you have the freedom today that the white males had back then in the states.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Tezcatlipoca wrote:No. Two world wars + antibacterial s hadn't stopped disease yet. I think the best time to be born in the us would be around 1940. Too young to go to war then you experience the post war boom right now you'd be retired in your 70s just before the shit hits the fan again (as I think will likely happen as we move to a multi polar world which will lead to more regional instability).
More like 1930 or 35 would be the best time to be born here in the US, those cocksuckers are even still riding the gravy train today because the FED has the whole system rigged for them still.
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Would we have been happier in 1914 than 2014?

Post by Winston »

Check out this documentary by PBS American Experience called "America 1900". It talks about how in the year 1900, America had just became the most prosperous nation on Earth and optimism and pride in America were at an all time high. The country was in the midst of an unprecedented scientific and industrial revolution, and big economic boom. America was leading the world into the 20th Century in technology, innovation and industrial growth. People could not be more positive and optimistic at the time. They saw a utopia coming where hunger, poverty and war would be no more, and everyone would be happy, fulfilled and prosperous. That's how high the optimism was.

So yeah, I think Americans in 1914 were happier than in 2014. Watch the documentary and you will see. So I was right all along that Americans were happier in 1914. You certainly can't say that optimism in America is at an all time high in 2014 can you? lol

The rest of the documentary talks about the issue of American imperialism by US involvement in Cuba, Philippines and China during the year 1900.

Here are all parts of it.

Parts 1 and 2:

Parts 3 and 4:

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Would we have been happier in 1914 than 2014?

Post by Moretorque »

Thanks Mr. Wu, however you look like a queer in your King attire.
Time to Hide!