The White slaves

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Renata
Experienced Poster

The White slaves

Post by Renata »

After slavery was abolished, new slaves were shipped to the Caribbean from Scotland; White slaves. The Brits emptyed the orphanages, snatched up who they could and shipped them to the Caribbean. Most of them ended up in Barbados. These Scots worked as slaves with no pay under the same conditions. Most likey worst conditions because they were of lesser value than a black slave, because they were not fit for the tropics & the hot weather. They died out pretty quickly maximum 10 years after arival. This is not taught in the UK as history. Few Scots know this and some are learning. This mainly surfaces in Caribbean history.

The west coast of Barbados is known as a favorite winter destination for British tourists. Many will come from Scotland, but few will realise that just fourteen miles away on the rocky east side of the island live a community of McCluskies, Sinclairs and Baileys who are not, as might be expected, black Bajans bearing the family names given by slave owners centuries ago, but poor whites eking out a subsistence existence. Known as the Redlegs, they are the direct descendants of the Scots transported to Barbados by Cromwell after the Civil War. Nearly two centuries after emancipation, this Redleg community has yet to find a role on the island, where it is damned by association with the days of slavery, even though many of its forbears were victims themselves.

- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

There was a Hollywood movie touching on the white slave trade, "Captain Blood". Great movie, too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026174/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Bl ... 35_film%29

I heard of these "redleg" folks back in the day, in the 1970's, back when White Nationalist acquaintances in the South were trying to bring them to America. I always kind of assumed that they had all left the Caribbean by now.

I am surprised they remain so Scottish, and haven't intermarried. So much intermarriage there!

BTW here in America we had white indentured servants, and I suspect that many ended up intermarrying with Black slaves, and have been forgotten. Smart masters would pair an indentured man with an enslaved woman, so that their children would be slaves.

Listening to the video, thanks for posting.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

In a perfect world Soctland would bring them home' ... but due to bureaucracy & the fact that they can't trace their ancestry, they remain ... they're still not fit for the climate there as you can see. There was no interacial marriges but lots of mixed kids were born. Every few gerenerations you'll see an indian kid born with blue/green eyes & pale skin. They don't want to admit it but there was some mixing back in the day, as the Scots were dying out they brought the indians from india, as indentured labourers much of whom were dark. My ancestors from my father's side were indentured labourers from india.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »