The Dean Reed Story

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Dean Reed Story

Post by ladislav »

Dean Reed was an American who went Red and defected from the West to E. Germany. He made quite a career for himself becoming an American actor in E. German Westerns- yes they did have such an industry- and as a communist sympathizer in many L. American countries. He also became a famous singer in the USSR.

He lived in the pre-Internet days and I guess he tried to do the right thing the way he saw it. In the end, he died miserably. What lessons can we learn from his life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AL5U_s_q8
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Great find. Noone in American media or academia ever told us this.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Jester wrote:Great find. Noone in American media or academia ever told us this.
I guess the lesson is - do not devote your life to a so-called cause- you will become slave to scum, be used and die a miserable death. Do not underestimate people's ability and tendency to remain a##h-les no matter what idealistic system you want to impose on them. They will simply utilize it for their selfish ends and use and abuse other people in its name.

However, it was easy for him to enjoy his fame for a while as he was lucky for a long time. Other defectors from the West ended up in Gulags.

Pay attention to his English- if you become a polyglot and live abroad, your English will become like his- kind of jerky and measured, almost robotic. Mine is kind of like this now because of 2.5 years of Tagalog speaking.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
Pay attention to his English- if you become a polyglot and live abroad, your English will become like his- kind of jerky and measured, almost robotic. Mine is kind of like this now because of 2.5 years of Tagalog speaking.
Funny.

You remind me of my actor son...

If he is playing a villain, he starts getting villainous in real life, and it takes him a while to get out of character afterward.

Probably you will snap out of your accent if you are stuck here long enough.

Small comfort!