Non-Pop East Asian Music, Mostly Ballads

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Non-Pop East Asian Music, Mostly Ballads

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Asians do make damned good music. Lots of people have the idea that Asians can only make corny/slightly zany pop music, and it's not the case at all. (Though I don't like Korean pop as to me it sounds basically just like American pop in Korean, which is probably why it's so popular now and J-Pop could never catch on.) They have incredible amounts of musical range. One thing interesting is in Japan jazz is a lot more popular, especially jazz fusion, so there's a lot of Japanese jazz.

An old enka song I like.

For this song here, it's a North Korean cover of an enka song. I personally like the cover better for some reason.

As far as ALL Western music being bad or whatever, well, you're talking to someone that listens to probably 40-50% Japanese music on a daily basis, and 70-80% foreign besides that. There's some, but it's hard to find for sure. One thing I find I like about Japanese music is it has actually really good lyrical content.

That there is just a silly pop song for a racing anime, but it's got great lyrics. Really good pumping up music, but not like, just stereotypical "grr I'm mad and stuff" like the kind of music that "pumps" people in the West tends to be.

Let's see, for one last quieter type of song...

Piano version of a 80s J-Pop song I like a lot.

I still gotta watch all your links, but I figured I'd add some.
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 19th, 2016, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Masaki Endoh version. But all the HnK OPs are sweet.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The Wings of Honnêamise was probably one of my favorite OVA's from late 80's, along with FSS (Five Star Stories).