Anyone else miss the 80's?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

homme wrote:The reason the music was better back then is obvious: rap and hip-hop weren't pushed onto the mainstream like they are now.

The 80s was the last decade when white musicians dominated the Billboard pop charts. That made all the difference.

~ swincor
Swincor, there is probably some truth to what you said. I much prefer New Wave, Punk, Rock, and good old Pop Music done right. I liked the early 90s grunge music too (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.) Frankly, I don't like the hip-hop or rap of today, I much prefer the earlier times of rappers like Run DMC, De La soul, Afrika bambaataa, and KRS One. Hell, I even liked Public Enemy back then too.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

No it's not just overly fond memories or nostalgia, the 80s were measurably better.

Music that was actually played on instruments and vocals that didn't sound like someones answering machine. Imagine that. Speaking of answering machines we didn't have them, if you called and I wasn't there you'd try again later.

The government wasn't tracking your every move and compiling dossiers on you (unless you were actually doing something) and wouldn't remove your 80 year old grandmothers diapers or feel up your toddler at the airport so they could make the real perps feel better.

Police weren't breaking through people's doors wearing full military gear and mp5s because you were suspected of having a joint, outstanding traffic warrant or overdue student loans.

Just goes to show some people here really are braindead from all the chemicals in the water combined with the blubbering propaganda on the tube. They actually can't tell the difference between relative freedom and slavery.

A lot of young dumbshits today don't know white and black people used to do landscaping and construction jobs.

Back in the 80s we heard the Soviets were savages because they did the same things to their people our gov does to us now.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

leavingusa wrote:No it's not just overly fond memories or nostalgia, the 80s were measurably better.

Music that was actually played on instruments and vocals that didn't sound like someones answering machine.
Yes, there was a distinct difference in the music from the 80's, it was actually original and creative. Check out these music videos and compare them to todays music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII&ob=av2e[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpRmxd-k ... plpp_video[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UBaj0gA ... re=related[/youtube]
Last edited by jamesbond on January 10th, 2012, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

C.J. wrote:*yawn*

There's a simple reason the past is more fondly remembered by westerners than the present - In the past you had godly energies inside of you as a kid - people call this youth, sexual energy, whatever. In the present, you have almost NONE because of your actions/reality as you grew older up to the present.

Westerners are one of the few groups of people who actively live in the past. Everyone else lives in the present... they still have their valuable energy.
Why would people in other countries still have their energy/vitality but Westerners not? What saps it out of Westerners?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is it true that girls were easier to get in the 80's? Some guys told me they were getting laid left and right back then.

I was only a teen, but I do remember that people seemed more genuine and simple, although even that era was perceived as dysfunctional by the standards of the time (but we know now that it was far less dysfunctional than today). I certainly wasn't happy during the 80's. I experienced oppression and persecution everyday, which destroyed my self-esteem and created an inferiority complex in me. Teens were hostile and snobby back then to me too, so I do not remember people being friendlier toward me. But maybe it was because I was in Fremont, CA and didn't fit in. I can't say if other places were like that too.

But the music seemed a lot more soulful, and the TV shows were more interesting, although they look cheesy today.

Here is a compilation of nostalgic 80's hit songs.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Art Imitates Reality

Post by ethan_sg »

Art imitates reality.

If the music, lyrics and characters depicted in moves back in the 80s were more soulful and innocent, then it is a reflection of the greater degree of innocence during the time.

Modern music and movies are so cynical and hardhearted, it is a reflection of the times.

The differences between the present and the 80s are really stark and the degree to which we have deteriorated is alarming. I dread to see what things would be like another 20 years from now.

Where are we headed?
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

I happened to stumble on this thread just as I'm listening to the Grand Theft Auto Vice City (which takes place in 1986, by the way) soundtrack!! I love everything about the 80s but especially the music! Give a listen to these gems!

"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Corey Hart, I WEAR MY SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT SON! :D

I love detroit's techno too! That was some great stuff, many of the popular artists lived in Belleville, MI, my hometown! Check it. Got y'all niggas some Inner City!

Some of you guys need to get into the GROOOOOOOVE! D Detroit tech FOR LIFE!

I remember being a religious listener of WJLB FM 98/97.9. My mom loved it too, back when she still had a good head on her shoulders. I used to wake up in the middle of the night like 2am, and my parents would leave the door open to their room with the radio on when they slept. I used to listen to the radio all night until I fell back to sleep.

Mason in the Morning, Weekend Mixtapes, Sunday Night Segway, Quiet Storm...delicious! Now I remember why I loved the 80s so much. IT WAS A PARTY! And it lasted until the mid 90s.
Winston wrote:Why would people in other countries still have their energy/vitality but Westerners not? What saps it out of Westerners?
Winston, didn't get the memo. Your email notifications suck, haha.

When it comes to the west in the 80s:
-Our water was heavily flouridated and "treated"(for those of you who don't know, the fluoride the government allows to be dumped in the water supply is industrial waste and there are NO BENEFITS to having it in the water, even a small amount of it kills your body from the inside out)
-Our convenience food wasn't all GMO'd, it was just processed crap that was cooked/chopped/crushed until there was no nutritional value, it didn't help that healthy food was more expensive
-Our soft drinks were rubbish
-Our farm land was being destroyed and turned to dust
-Our economy was on the verge of collapse(oh wait, it already DID)
-Our jobs were being outsourced

And let's not get into the esoteric, the conspiracy stuff. America is the NWO plan fully manifest. When you factor all that into the equation, it's no wonder adults and some children can feel like crap in this country. There's little room for healthy living! That's what's currently happening everywhere else.

When we were kids though, nothing could stop us. Nothing could bring us down! The poisonous food we got couldn't even drain us, which is one reason why adults don't like children. I remember recently feeding my niece and nephew some of the most poisonous food+soft drinks we had, so I could shut them up. Pizza, coke and Brisk. Gave them as much as they wamted, greedy little brats. Bastards still ran around like rays of light all day. But as an adult, you can't take a decent amount of that stuff and still feel 300%. If you can, you're one of the lucky ones.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

The music from the 80's was certainly a lot better than the stuff that's out today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loM99T_X ... plpp_video[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZQaYKZ ... plpp_video[/youtube]

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Great music selection James Bond, totally agree with you there.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: Anyone else miss the 80's?

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

zboy1 wrote:I'm wondering, does anyone else have fond memories of the 80s like I did? It seemed life was much more simpler and happier back then. Or maybe that was because I was only a kid and teen back then? I don't remember feeling depressed about the country (U.S.) as I do now. I just feel like life is so cynical these days. Some of my favorite memories of the 80s include:

-cartoons
-family sitcoms
-fun movies
-hanging out with friends
-great music
-Arcades
-NES, Atari, Sega Master System
-nice looking girls
-crazy fashions like shoulder pads, spiked hair, etc.
-the optimism of the era
-great economy
-the country not as divided as it is now
-not as inundated with technology and gizmos like today

Anyone else have any opinions of the era?
Good post.... Yea, I miss the 1980's mainly because I was surrounded by a medium sized family and I had a huge circle of friends from all different races and socioeconomic backgrounds. I basically had a social life and I was never alone unless I CHOSE to be alone.

And let me tell you, xmas time was the BEST because everyone would gather at my grandmothers house and we would exchange simple (sometimes homemade) gifts.

Everyone back then was so polite and civil. I can't remember seeing anyone back then with tattoos, or acting trashy/ghetto.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

C.J. wrote:Corey Hart, I WEAR MY SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT SON! :D

I love detroit's techno too! That was some great stuff, many of the popular artists lived in Belleville, MI, my hometown! Check it. Got y'all niggas some Inner City!

Some of you guys need to get into the GROOOOOOOVE! D Detroit tech FOR LIFE!

I remember being a religious listener of WJLB FM 98/97.9. My mom loved it too, back when she still had a good head on her shoulders. I used to wake up in the middle of the night like 2am, and my parents would leave the door open to their room with the radio on when they slept. I used to listen to the radio all night until I fell back to sleep.

Mason in the Morning, Weekend Mixtapes, Sunday Night Segway, Quiet Storm...delicious! Now I remember why I loved the 80s so much. IT WAS A PARTY! And it lasted until the mid 90's
Oh man I love that video!! House/techno was so awesome back then!

My favorite was Ya Kid K!