Audrey Hepburn - One of the most elegant & graceful movie stars ever!

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Audrey Hepburn - One of the most elegant & graceful movie stars ever!

Post by Winston »

Wow check out the charm, grace and beauty in Audrey Hepburn's face. Wasn't she one of the most beautiful women to have ever on screen? How come no actress in America has that kind of beauty and charm today?

Last edited by Winston on January 7th, 2014, 10:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

This is the way American women USED to be. Just go back and watch American films from the 1920s-1950s. Jackie Kennedy opitimized what American women wanted to be like, but just shortly thereafter came the hippie movement, feminism, and ugly women in baggy clothing.
Last edited by Think Different on May 12th, 2012, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a slideshow of Audrey Hepburn photos from the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with the romantic tune "Moon River". Doesn't this make you nostalgic? lol

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Alright I just downloaded and watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's". The plot was pretty cliched and trite. And surprisingly Audrey's character acted like a nutcase, esp toward the end. But I guess the movie would be boring without melodrama and changeability. lol

However, even though the story was just an average romance movie story, my goodness, Audrey Hepburn's beauty shined and glowed like no one I've ever seen. It was like she was radiating some great light. lol Very mesmerizing.

It was so unrealistic though. What are the odds that you could live next to Audrey Hepburn, borrow her phone, and then the next day she climbs into your bedroom through the window to talk to you and snuggle beside you? Yeah right. The odds of that are like zero in a million. lol

The racist portrayal of the Japanese landlord was horrible. But it was interesting to see that back in 1961, a man who fought to keep the love of his woman was considered honorable and showing his love for her, whereas today he would be seen as psycho and a stalker.

I remember in Russia, after I split up with my girlfriend Alina, she also said that "If you truly loved me, you would have fought for me." It's nice that traditional women think like that and want us to fight for them to prove our love. That concept would be totally taboo in America today.

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

It wasn't so unrealistic back then, because this was the type of fare that informed the popular culture and how people conceived of male-female relations. Now it's "back that ass up, ho." It's really no wonder AW are scared to death of men, given the general thuggishness of pop culture now.

And in response to your earlier question: Yes, no song resonates the past for me quite like Moon River. It came out of a completely different world that is long gone. I don't know if it's even possible for an American mind to compose a song like that now. Think I'll go to youtube and hear it now. Jerry Butler's version is my favorite.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Winston, this is a video from another early '60s movie that really catches the sort of romantic ideal that informed the popular culture back then. Troy Donahue and Susanne Pleshette were married for a while, then went their separate rocky ways. Donahue destroyed himself with drugs, and Pleshette became a salty-tongued old broad, albeit allegedly a pretty funny one. Maybe real life can never sustain the sort of ideal of romantic love that this scene conveys, but at least it can be honored in the breach -- if it's still out there. Unfortunately it's long gone from our culture.

Mr S
Veteran Poster

My Fair Lady Clips

Post by Mr S »

She isn't really my type but I can recognize her beauty. Here are some clips from "My Fair Lady", which would be a better fit for this website.

Never let a woman in your life!

"Why Can't a Woman Be More Like a Man?" Rex Harrison

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Fair_Lady_%28film%29

My Fair Lady
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The plot of "My Fair Lady" sounds interesting. It won a lot of academy awards too. I didn't know Audrey Hepburn was in it.

Description:

MY FAIR LADY - (1964)

Winner of 8 Academy Awards, and one of the greatest movie musicals of all time, this is the gloriously witty adaptation of the Broadway musical about Professor Henry Higgins, who takes a bet from Colonel Pickering that he can transform unrefined, dirty Cockney flower girl Eliza Doolittle into a lady, and fool everyone into thinking she really is one, too! He does, and thus young aristocrat Freddy Eynsford-Hill falls madly in love with her. But when Higgins takes all the credit and forgets to acknowledge her efforts, Eliza angrily leaves him for Freddy, and suddenly Higgins realizes he's grown accustomed to her face and can't really live without it.

Starring: Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Harry Stradling Sr., Cecil Beaton, Frank Flanagan.

Directed by: George Cukor.

Quality: Very Good Xvid from DVD.

Length: 2hr. 53min.

Language: English.

Size: 720 x 368

If anyone wants to see it, or "Breakfast at Tiffany's", you can torrent them from Piratebay.org.
Last edited by Winston on December 23rd, 2013, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Audrey Hepburn was from Belgium, by the way. A European girl who made it in Hollywood. Kind of like Penelope Cruz today.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Audrey Hepburn and where are the New Great Actresses?

Post by WorldTraveler »

Audrey Hepburn was beautiful and I liked her personality in a lot of movies too. That's why she was famous. There were many classic movie stars that I like much better than the recent ones. In fact I have a hard time finding any movies stars since Audrey Hepburn that I even think deserve the star status. I certainly don't like Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock. Nor are there any of the new ones do anything for me, except look a little nice. I don't feel any of the new ones have any real special appeal. Am I missing someone?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Audrey Hepburn and where are the New Great Actresses?

Post by zboy1 »

WorldTraveler wrote:Audrey Hepburn was beautiful and I liked her personality in a lot of movies too. That's why she was famous. There were many classic movie stars that I like much better than the recent ones. In fact I have a hard time finding any movies stars since Audrey Hepburn that I even think deserve the star status. I certainly don't like Julia Roberst or Sandra Bulloch. Nor are there any of the new ones do anything for me, except look a little nice. I don't feel any of the new ones have any real special appeal. I'm I missing someone?
The new, trashy Hollywood stars can't even compare to the elegance and dignity of the stars from the past like Gregory Peck, Bogart, Natalie Wood, Yul Brynner, and Deborah Kerr--just to name a few. Now, we have 'stars' named Lindsay Lohan, Shia Labeouf. Kim Kardashian, Snooki, and Will Farrell as the new role models for the current generation!
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

I think the closest modern actress to Hepburn is Audrey Tautou who I find amazing!!!

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

zboy1 wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:Audrey Hepburn was beautiful and I liked her personality in a lot of movies too. That's why she was famous. There were many classic movie stars that I like much better than the recent ones. In fact I have a hard time finding any movies stars since Audrey Hepburn that I even think deserve the star status. I certainly don't like Julia Roberst or Sandra Bulloch. Nor are there any of the new ones do anything for me, except look a little nice. I don't feel any of the new ones have any real special appeal. I'm I missing someone?
The new, trashy Hollywood stars can't even compare to the elegance and dignity of the stars from the past like Gregory Peck, Bogart, Natalie Wood, Yul Brynner, and Deborah Kerr--just to name a few. Now, we have 'stars' named Lindsay Lohan, Shia Labeouf. Kim Kardashian, Snooki, and Will Farrell as the new role models for the current generation!
I could write myself off as being old and not hip, but my 2 nephews watch all the classic stars and won't be caught dead watching most new movies and never watch the crap on TV. It is a shame more people in their 20s don't demand more from Hollywood. If you are in your 20s and have never seen these stars, please go out and rent some movies by them:

Dustin Hoffman, Paul Newman, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Joseph Cotton, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly, even Marilyn Monroe did great movies.

My friend is in film school in CA. They are not showing the recent crap only Old classic movies and foreign films. He's put out short films and they are all good with meaning, but he'll probably die broke or end up doing weddings and editing reality shows if things don't change!

It's getting close to the Fall of Rome when society wants to emulate the "bottom of the barrel"!
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi folks,
I'm watching "War and Peace (1956)" now with Audrey Hepburn. Wow! I've never seen a woman shine so well on screen! She must be at the height of her beauty here. And she looks perfect in historical 18th Century gowns. I'm mesmerized. You've got to see her on the big screen in high quality to appreciate her grace and beauty on screen. She's like a radiating being. It's hard to explain. Truly one of a kind.

You guys have got to see this movie, War and Peace (1956). It's 3 hours and 30 minutes, and a masterpiece. I didn't know there were so many good movies in the 50's. How did they get this movie in color? Was it colorized or originally in color? Any of you seen it?

Here is the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcUQDkLBkrE

Clips from the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV5W98Ql4vQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpFpGcTh1s (ball room dance scene where she looks so elegant!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOG8edoC00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTTbCJmc3Cg

Video still images from the film:

A great photo of her face that captures her unique radiant beauty and grace:

Last edited by Winston on January 7th, 2014, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.