Gaming: Who does it? How's VR? Any retro-gamers? Any game developers on here?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Gaming: Who does it? How's VR? Any retro-gamers? Any game developers on here?

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
November 21st, 2023, 5:26 pm
Command & Conquer was always my favorite real-time strategy game. I first played the Red Alert games (especially Aftermath and Counterstrike, which were released for the PS1 under the title C&C Red Alert: Retaliation) and then the original Tiberium Dawn when I was a little kiddy still in primary school. Those early games from the 90s were by far the best generation of C&C.

Here is a video of the final mission in the NOD campaign of Tiberium Dawn (the player's style is really strategic and the video is a very good introduction to C&C for anybody who might be curious about the game :) ):

Look at the Obelisk Guard Tower (fires lasers) that is built around the 3:15 mark. Those things used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid! :o

Now here is another video of the final mission of the Soviet campaign of Red Alert: Aftermath (Stu is a very skilled speedrunner who shows us how it's done! 8) ):

The Soviets have Tesla weapons that fire electricity, big fat Mammoth tanks, and missile subs.

Anybody here a fan of Command & Conquer?

@Pixel--Dude @WanderingProtagonist @Natural Born Cynic @galii

If so, which C&C games did you like the most?

I always thought that Red Alert (including Aftermath and Counterstrike) had the best gameplay with smoother physics, more advanced units and some of the most unique missions while C&C Tiberium Dawn had cooler factions (GDI vs. NOD), a far more interesting backstory, and better aesthetics (music, voiceovers and the game's overall look).

GDI in Tiberium Dawn is a good faction but the Allies in Red Alert are just boring. The Brotherhood of NOD is pure baddass!

Nostalgia!

Hey dude. I don't know much about C&C as I never really played it too much. I only ever had a quick game at your house. I've played strategy games which are more focused on a medieval theme or fantasy.

One game I played was Age of Empires. This looks similar to C&C but without tanks and bombs. It's just warriors and archers etc. One thing I hated, and I am sure C&C will be the same in skirmish modes, is when the enemy AI can build a base and coordinate its troops way quicker and way more effectively than any human player ever could. I always get wiped out in these game modes.

Some games I think @Tsar would like: Age of Mythology, which is a strategy game involving gods and different mythological creatures. You can have krakens and minotaurs fight for you etc.

And Magic & Mayhem, which is an old game for the pc but is similar to the above. Magic and Mayhem is a really fun strategy game. But you'd probably find it a bit geeky and geeeeeeeeey :lol:
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Re: Gaming: Who does it? How's VR? Any retro-gamers? Any game developers on here?

Post by Lucas88 »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 2:57 am
One thing I hated, and I am sure C&C will be the same in skirmish modes, is when the enemy AI can build a base and coordinate its troops way quicker and way more effectively than any human player ever could. I always get wiped out in these game modes.
In C&C, the AI can indeed build bases and coordinate troops far more effectively than a human player. I even read that AI opponents receive more credits for the same amount of resources gathered. The game is supposed to be hard. You've gotta get good at strategy and learn how to combine different units exploiting the strengths of each.
Pixel--Dude wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 2:57 am
But you'd probably find it a bit geeky and geeeeeeeeey :lol:
Yes, I don't like any of that nerd shit. I only play baddass macho games like C&C. :wink:
Ginerbell
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginerbell »

I am in love with gaming and all that goods. SO I work as an UI/UX designer for games. Love my work