Anyone seen the TV series 'Breaking Bad'?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

gsjackson wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:I've got a friend who keep raving about Breaking Bad and I wonder if anyone knows some way of catching up on all episodes.
I'm pretty sure Netflix has all the episodes, and you can stream them online. About seven bucks a month. I was looking there for two series -- BB and the Mentalist. I think BB was the one they had; Mentalist, no.
Oh yeah I know about netflix. I was a member but I quit. I meant a free way of seeing the episodes.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Breaking Bad is over now. The final episode was great. It tied up a lot of loose ends.

It occurs to me that the Walter White, the main character, has a lot in common with many HA members. He is marginalized and not particularly respected by society. His wife walks on him. Other people patronize him.

It is a different story, but think Lester Burnham (played by Kevin Spacey) in the movie American Beauty.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Walter White's sickness mirrors America

Post by zboy1 »

"Breaking Bad" strikes such a nerve because Walt's ills of body and soul are also those of our country

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/28/walter_ ... s_america/
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I watched all the episodes on Netflix, but bought the remaining episodes that weren't on Netflix so that I could watch the Finale before I heard about it:). It was a great show...enjoyed watching it.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I watched the whole series in 19 days. Brilliant.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've just finished Season 2 and am now on Season 3. This show is addicting for sure.

Why does Walter White act like an emotionally immature dumbfuck though? That's a negative portrayal of men.

But fortunately, his wife is also portrayed as a cold bitch who is not sympathetic to his situation and what he sacrificed for her. That doesn't bode well for women either. It's good that their son takes the father's side.

I don't get how Jesse's girlfriend died though. After taking heroin, why did she suddenly start choking on her vomit, just because Walter accidentally turned her on her back? And why didn't he try to save her by turning her on her side? Because he wanted her to die so she could not blackmail him with her knowledge of his activities anymore? That's pretty sick. She was pretty hot too.

But why would she choke and die from her own vomit just because she got turned on her back? Why didn't she choke earlier? Is this common with heroin users?

The part afterward about the plane collision was ridiculous and over the top. This series seems to have a lot of over the top events.

I guess Jesse is the type of guy that American girls like too. He has tattoos, does drugs, and is involved in shady illegal activities. I don't understand why American girls are drawn to that rather than normal guys.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Whew! I just finished Season 4. I watched it for hours last night and went to bed later than usual too. I must have seen like 5 episodes in a row. Wow this is the most addicting and suspenseful TV series I've ever seen! When you get to Season 3 and 4, you just can't stop watching! So be warned. lol

I like that Gus boss character. He's so calculating and wealthy, yet he looks totally normal on the outside. A drug lord who runs 14 fast food chains is funny. His henchmen Mike is funny too. The scenes in Mexico against the drug cartel are very intense.

It's also funny watching Walter White doing a double life like that, working with the drug operations during the day and acting like a normal family man at night and hanging out with his DEA brother in law. What a trip. It's surprising he could get away with that for so long.

It's also great when his wife Skyler finally comes in on the loop and joins in. Her boss Ted was a dumbfuck though. She never should have gone back to work for him.

That lawyer Saul Goodman is funny as hell.

Walter's son though, the kid on crutches, is kind of useless though. He doesn't really contribute to any of the plots or subplots. It's like he's just there as an innocent distraction. Plus he's retarded and dumb so it's hard to believe that he could be Walt's son. I mean, his IQ is like a fraction of Walt's so they can't be possibly related.

The guy who plays Jesse Pinkman is such a great actor though.

I think the end of Season 4 is kind of unrealistic though. I mean, how did Walter know that Gus would personally silence the guy in the wheelchair himself? Usually, big bosses don't do assassinations, they have their men do it for them. So his plan was unrealistic and implausible. Plus, no one would walk into a nursing home in broad daylight to assassinate someone. They'd do it in the middle of the night. Otherwise, they'd be seen and traced.

So what is the point of Season 5, now that it's all over?
Last edited by Winston on October 20th, 2013, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Johnny1975 wrote:I've got a friend who keep raving about Breaking Bad and I wonder if anyone knows some way of catching up on all episodes.
If you don't want to watch them on Netflix, just go to Piratebay.org then and download all the seasons. Almost everything you want is on the torrent sites now.

I gotta warn you though, Season 3 and 4 are more addicting than you can imagine. Once you are there, you won't be able to stop watching and will forget everything else!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Whew. I just finished Season 5. The last eight episodes were the most intense TV I've ever seen. It totally glues you until you've seen them all til the end. I will certainly miss this show.

*** Warning: Spoilers below. Don't read if you don't want to know what happens in Season 5 yet. ***

I don't understand why Walt shot Mike though. That was pretty bad and unnecessary, especially after all that Mike did for him. Mike could have killed Walt on many occasions, but he held back. Mike should have shot him back. It doesn't make sense why he didn't. The writers don't give plausible reasons for a lot of things. Mike is a professional gunman and could easily win in a gunfight against Walt, who has no experience with guns.

I'm glad that Hank guy got taken out. His smug face was annoying and he was very mean and hateful toward Walt when he found out who he really was.

It was implausible though that Walt preferred going to jail over being rescued, just to try to save Hank. And it's even more unbelievable that he'd give away the location of his 80 million dollar barrels just to prevent his gang from killing Hank. That makes no sense. Walt had turned into a cold blooded killer with no conscience by that time. Why would he kill others without hesitation but want to give up everything to spare someone who had become his enemy and wanted to do him in? That's stupid. Friend or relative, if he becomes your enemy, then he should be treated like one. The writers aren't good when it comes to plausibility.
Last edited by Winston on October 21st, 2013, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

What disappointed me was that Hank, when he found out what Walt had been up to, was very one dimensional in his reaction. Ok, I understand, he's been after Heisenberg, and he's shocked and feels betrayed that it's Walt, but there was no discussion, no nothing. And the same when Skyler found out. Walt's character is quite complex, and his motivations are complex, so they should have dealt with the fact of him being / doing what he was / did in a more sophisticated way.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I agree Johnny. I'm also surprised that Walt didn't try to buy off Hank. They say that everyone has a price. He could have offered Hank 5 million dollars out of his 80 million, to get him off his back and save his life too. But he didn't even try that. The writers of the show forgot to think of that.

From Hank's perspective, getting a few million dollars and not getting killed would have been a lot better than getting killed, even if it means corrupting himself. It would have been funny to see Hank get corrupted since he was so religious about upholding the law on drugs and catching drug dealers.