Just How Big is the Universe?

Discuss science and technology topics here.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Just How Big is the Universe?

Post by jamesbond »

Scientists have discovered that the universe is even larger than they originally thought! :shock:

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Just How Big is the Universe?

Post by gsjackson »

Ask the "scientists" or their acolytes how they know. But don't expect an answer.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm
Ask the "scientists" or their acolytes how they know. But don't expect an answer.
You get very convoluted answers that are actually internally consistent. They just don't necessarily map to reality.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 3:21 pm
gsjackson wrote:
You get very convoluted answers that are actually internally consistent. They just don't necessarily map to reality.
What would you call them? Theoretical mathematicians? Scientists, as I once understood the term, try to look at reality and map it.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

gsjackson wrote:
Are you kidding? Almost any scientist would gladly and enthusiastically show his work when asked, so that his experiment can be replicated and his theory strengthened. Science is all about "show your work".

There is bad science being done out there, but not what I saw in that vid. That vid I'd say is pretty well established stuff. Our modern understanding of the cosmos is derived from Einstein's general theory of relativity, which has been replicated and used to make accurate predictions so many times that we're pretty damn confident that we DO know it. If you're having trouble understanding it it isn't because no one has ever been willing to explain it. Quite the opposite.
ajieajie02
Freshman Poster

Post by ajieajie02 »

And people STILL talk about how we only know 5% of the ocean...
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

This is an interesting video explaining 5 theories on what lies outside the observable universe.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Stranton
Freshman Poster

Post by Stranton »

ajieajie02 wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 1:29 am
And people STILL talk about how we only know 5% of the ocean...
Agree. I believe that our universe has no limits. A number of scientists have the same point of view.