Call for a ban on robots designed as sex toys

Discuss science and technology topics here.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Call for a ban on robots designed as sex toys

Post by Teal Lantern »

A campaign has been launched calling for a ban on the development of robots that can be used for sex.
Such a use of the technology is unnecessary and undesirable, said campaign leader Dr Kathleen Richardson.

Sex dolls already on the market are becoming more sophisticated and some are now hoping to build artificial intelligence into their products.

Those working in the field say that there is a need for such robots.

Dr Richardson, a robot ethicist at De Montfort University in Leicester, wants to raise awareness of the issue and persuade those developing sex robots to rethink how their technology is used.

"Sex robots seem to be a growing focus in the robotics industry and the models that they draw on - how they will look, what roles they would play - are very disturbing indeed," she told the BBC.
No call to ban sybians, though. Wonder why. :?
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34118482

Does this woman know why the price of VCRs (remember those) decreased so fast and built the movie rental industry? :lol: :lol:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Call for a ban on robots designed as sex toys

Post by MarcosZeitola »

No man-made machine will ever replace the reciprocity of flesh on flesh, skin on skin, and the power of human lust and sensuality.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

What do you men think is the religio-ethno faction ms richardson belongs to?

It's funny how this would take lots of pressure off women. Yet they want to ban it, because men will enjoy it.

Either way though, I think sex with an artificial person might be considered an abomination.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Machines that help with (and are getting better at) cooking, washing/drying clothes, heating water, cleaning floors are also no problem.
Adama wrote:What do you men think is the religio-ethno faction ms richardson belongs to?
Is "make-work quota hire" a religious sect?
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Where are the Feminist bitches calling for the ban on Vibrators, Dildos and Sex Machines women use.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

It would be cool if living-robots similar to actual people were created. Sort of like the human-Cylons from the 2004-2009 BattleStar Galactica series.

That work make the creator of such a living human-robot very rich and remove a lot of social power women have. But that would probably take at least a century or two beyond current technology.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Tsar wrote:It would be cool if living-robots similar to actual people were created. Sort of like the human-Cylons from the 2004-2009 BattleStar Galactica series.

That work make the creator of such a living human-robot very rich and remove a lot of social power women have. But that would probably take at least a century or two beyond current technology.
It's not that far away, if anyone wants to write the A.I.
Most (if not all) of the material hardware already exists, scattered across various consumer goods and military projects.
Methods of balance, depth perception, and object recognition are rapidly improving, too.
What is missing, at least at the consumer level, is a passable personality component A.I.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

They haven't exactly got the walking down yet either.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Decent and efficient linear actuators are still needed too for humanoid robots.
Some people are developing artificial muscle, which ideally should be some rubber or polymer that contracts under an electrical current;
but development on this area has been very slow.

For now electrical motor/solenoid combinations are the only closest thing, but they're kind of slow, even though in theory power-per-pound
on electric motors can be close to human muscle. But we need something that really can snap quickly, perhaps with some variable force/speed ratio mechanism.

Piezoelectric motors are promising, but they still lack force and the electronic driving is cumbersome.

Some of the Darpa stuff is hydraulic, but that's completely impractical.
teal lantern wrote:It's not that far away, if anyone wants to write the A.I.
I'm working on this, and yeah it's a conceptual problem, not a computing-power issue. It will happen any day.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Jonny Law wrote:Where are the Feminist bitches calling for the ban on Vibrators, Dildos and Sex Machines women use.
Jonny Law that's the very same question I have been asking myself!!!! These feminists are such CONTROL FREAKS or should I say FEMINAZIS!!!
It's funny they are so worried about this development due to the fact these very same diehard feminists often claim "THEY DON'T NEED MEN"!! I can't stand these crazy Feminazis and their DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

droid wrote:
teal lantern wrote:It's not that far away, if anyone wants to write the A.I.
I'm working on this, and yeah it's a conceptual problem, not a computing-power issue. It will happen any day.
Once you got it working, the bigger hurdle would be collecting on your efforts (while young enough to enjoy it) and avoiding the Robert Kearns runaround.
не поглеждай назад. 8)